• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Good choice, just seen a new video from hardware unboxed 2700X vs 9900K, makes quite an interesting watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmAWqyHdebI&t=340s

Yeah seen it :) also countless others. lol
i dont normally send highend cpus back but clearly this is no highend cpu... and the price was really unjustified. in the end i made a judgment call, i think i have made the correct call..

Soldato
Like I said, if there's a physical reason the boards can't do PCI-E 4 when you drop in a CPU with a PCI-E 4 controller then they won't do it. That's all I was suggesting. Ivy Bridge did it with 80 series motherboards back in the day so it could be done with a new Ryzen.
Er, IIRC Ivy Bridge launched alongside the 70 series desktop boards and was backwards compatible with existing 60 series desktop boards and (In the case of IB-E) compatible with the existing X79 boards. You couldn't put a LGA1155 IB cpu in an LGA1150 80 series board.

Soldato
That 3.0 is very old - 2010 technology, really?, that 4.0 was introduced but approaching 2019 there are 0 products on the market with it.

its 2010 but its easily fast enough.

The limitation of pci-e is the DMI bottleneck, so pci-e itself is fast enough for individual devices, but you cannot use them all at once at full speed because DMI is too narrow a pipe. So the main benefit of a pci-e version upgraded is DMI gets an upgrade at the same.

Its funny most or all of the valuable cpu lanes get wasted on GPU's as GPUs mostly will run at near enough full speed on a 3.0 4x link. The other 12/16 lanes would be put to better use elsewhere.

Soldato
Yeah seen it :) also countless others. lol
i dont normally send highend cpus back but clearly this is no highend cpu... and the price was really unjustified. in the end i made a judgment call, i think i have made the correct call..

You know what I am going to say, where is the TDP limited ryzen review? given that ryzen chips breach TDP as well, intel have really got a battering on the 9000 series, they deserve it for the price and the heat, but some of it has been unfair in my opinion. I feel the TDP breach should be highlighted dont get me wrong, but they should have done it for AMD as well, and previous gen intel chips e.g. the 8000 series intel chips and older breach it as well.

Also the claims the board vendors misconfiguring their bios is of intel's doing is pure speculation. Again in previous gen's they never blamed intel for ASUS defaulting MCE on, yet suddenly this gen its intel's doing.

Soldato
At the end of the day, intel have left a sour taste in my mouth regarding everything they do when it comes to costs to the customer there for im giving RYZEN a try once they release the 3000 series. i can wait im in no hurry what so ever my 8700k @:5.2 is plenty fast until then :)

Soldato
At the end of the day, intel have left a sour taste in my mouth regarding everything they do when it comes to costs to the customer there for im giving RYZEN a try once they release the 3000 series. i can wait im in no hurry what so ever my 8700k @:5.2 is plenty fast until then :)

8700k at 5.2 and you're considering upgrading already?

Caporegime
Not to be a curb stomper, but that's in Floating Point work loads. So while that's still impressive I believe the IPC increase is likely to be around 12-16% real gains overall.

Yes, thats still impressive tho, current Ryzen has the same IPC as Coffeelake, this will put AMD <15% ahead in IPC, so a 4.7Ghz Ryzen 3700X would have the same performance as a 5.4Ghz 9900K

Soldato
AMD Zen2, upto 30% IPC increase over Zen1, mommy may I...…………… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUHa7ZQXrE&t=883s
We have two datapoints: 13% in some scientific workload (unconfirmed) and 29% in a combined FP/int datacentre workload (source: AMD). It's highly likely that the 29% figure is a best-case-scenario heavily utilising AVX256. It all sounds great but for all we know, gaming or workstation workloads could be only 5% faster.

Soldato
8700k at 5.2 and you're considering upgrading already?

Feel like a change :):) hence why i can wait, 9900k only appealed to me at first as i do the odd vid rendering but after thinking about it and like i said the sour taste in the mouth i decided on a change.
to ryzen. and why go for this gen ryzen when 3000 cant be that far away...

Soldato
OP
Yes, thats still impressive tho, current Ryzen has the same IPC as Coffeelake, this will put AMD <15% ahead in IPC, so a 4.7Ghz Ryzen 3700X would have the same performance as a 5.4Ghz 9900K

Remember though, AMD built this 7nm Zen2 to compete with Intels 10nm Ice Lake CPU which doesn't exist yet, not their coffee lake, I think (HOPE) we'll see it pass the 9900K ;)

Even if it does turn out to be a 15% IPC increase, that's still more than Intel have done all the way pretty much from Haswell to Coffee lake.

I bet they are very worried with all of these rumours flying around at the moment, the only way they can compete is to finish off their 10nm design, theres not even any point in them going to TMSC, same silicon, same process as AMD, there wouldn't be any performance advantage, it would come down to price wars and core wars, I suppose that's good for us though, Intel got too complacent, there was no immediate threat to them, they quite comfortably released 4 core 8 thread CPU's with slight clock increases and needed new boards to run them in, then came along Zen, which is why suddenly Intel are releasing 6 core 12 thread and 8 core 16 threads, otherwise they'd still be at 4 core 8 thread.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD Releases Statement on Zen 2 IPC Performance Uplift Article
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Updat...than-Zen-1-in-certain-workloads.359556.0.html

"The data in the footnote represented the performance improvement in a microbenchmark for a specific financial services workload which benefits from both integer and floating point performance improvements and is not intended to quantify the IPC increase a user should expect to see across a wide range of applications."

Back
Top Bottom