• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I suspect that AMD will be wanting to avoid the errors that were made with the Zen+ launch; you couldn't drop in a new CPU to an existing mobo without already owning a Zen-based CPU.
I had issues getting a 2200g working with a 350 mobo.

I had to get a boot kit from AMD so I could update the bios and then the pc would boot with the 2200g in.

All paid for by AMD and knew this maybe a issue so built the pc a month before my sons birthday.

Soldato
Im hoping / betting on a May release, 50th Anniversary and all that... would be great if so.

Indeed, but I'm still not anticipating anything until the X570 boards come out too, and I've not seen anything to dismiss the leak that said Computex. Which begs the question what are we going to see/hear on May 1st?

That being said, Computex actually starts at the very end of May which is still the same anniversary month. I've theorised about this before, and it does still kinda hold up (just about :p), but we could see Ryzen 5 (8 core) and Ryzen 7 (12 core) SKUs announced on May 1st, with the headliner being the limited edition 16 core, 5.1GHz monster that is the 3950X. Launch date is anything from 28th to 31st May alongside the X570 boards (and the 3950X is demoed absolutely crushing the 9900K), but in practical terms it's a paper launch with actual stock showing up mid to late June (i.e. "mid 2019" as AMD said).

Last edited:
I'd take mid-2019 as anything from April through to September. However, if they really were looking at a launch before July I'd be fairly confident that they'd have said 1st-half 2019.
Put together I also suspect an announcement on 1st May, paper launch at Computex, and wider availability mid-June through July. I'd also expect limited SKUs being available before July.

If the 16c 3850x @5.1GHz turns up, it will be a serious eye opener for the entire industry. It'll command a premium, though I doubt it costs too much more than a 9900K.

Soldato
If the 16c 3850x @5.1GHz turns up, it will be a serious eye opener for the entire industry. It'll command a premium, though I doubt it costs too much more than a 9900K.

Premium? Yes. More than the 9900K? A smidgen perhaps. A retail 9900K is, what, £500 now? Play on the 50th anniversary and £550 for the 3850X isn't unreasonable for a limited edition, but that depends on it actually being a limited edition, and also on how much the 3800X will be.

I can see the official Ryzen 9 SKU being the 3800X with the 3850X as the highly binned, 5.1GHz guaranteed limited edition super silicon (think 8700K and 8086K). So the 3800X would need to be priced sensibly in order for the limited edition premium to be "worth it". And maybe even have the 3800X undercut the 9900K just to rub it in :p

£550 for the 3850X as a limited run (50,000 to tie into the anniversary).
£470 for the 3800X (released in August/September once 3850X stock is fully allocated and almost sold out, and enjoy the silicon lottery to see if you essentially got a 3850X anyway).

I do love my dream world :p

Associate
Premium? Yes. More than the 9900K? A smidgen perhaps. A retail 9900K is, what, £500 now? Play on the 50th anniversary and £550 for the 3850X isn't unreasonable for a limited edition, but that depends on it actually being a limited edition, and also on how much the 3800X will be.

I can see the official Ryzen 9 SKU being the 3800X with the 3850X as the highly binned, 5.1GHz guaranteed limited edition super silicon (think 8700K and 8086K). So the 3800X would need to be priced sensibly in order for the limited edition premium to be "worth it". And maybe even have the 3800X undercut the 9900K just to rub it in :p

£470 for the 3800X (released in August/September once 3850X stock is fully allocated and almost sold out).

A 3850X with a high end Navi GFX card with PCIE4 and HDMI 2.1 coupled to a PCIE4 next gen NVME SSD drive, I'm not wanting much, that's my dream next system ^^

Soldato
I have high hopes for Navi and Ryzen, but all the rumours point to navi being a mid tier part not high end. Don't want to derail the thread, but I am hoping for 2070 territory for Navi at a decent price, I am not expecting more than that. Would be delighted to be wrong of course.

These bios leaks and confirmation that board partners are on their second generation of engineering samples for testing is pretty interesting, on top of the BIOS updates.. SOON®

Associate
I have high hopes for Navi and Ryzen, but all the rumours point to navi being a mid tier part not high end. Don't want to derail the thread, but I am hoping for 2070 territory for Navi at a decent price, I am not expecting more than that. Would be delighted to be wrong of course.

These bios leaks and confirmation that board partners are on their second generation of engineering samples for testing is pretty interesting, on top of the BIOS updates.. SOON®

I'd be happy with Vega 64 perf at £250 to be honest, I'd swap out my Vega for one, sounds mad I know but something tells me Navi will be less temperamental than Vega.

I still think AMD will do something for the anniversary, they seem to be a lot more on point lately with their marketing and general competence

Soldato

£470 for the 3800X (released in August/September once 3850X stock is fully allocated and almost sold out, and enjoy the silicon lottery to see if you essentially got a 3850X anyway).

Not sure it's in their best interest to do a limited edition run so early in the lifecycle of the new product. Assuming this is all true, they'll continually have chips come up that can do 5.1, although I am basing that on believing AMD will keep the best 3800's to use as 3850's (so they're pre-binned).
While it'll cost us more I reckon AMD can push the prices further than that. 3850X @ £600 and they'd still sell amazingly well IMO.

Soldato
While it'll cost us more I reckon AMD can push the prices further than that. 3850X @ £600 and they'd still sell amazingly well IMO.

If what Adored predicted about this SKU actually turns out to be true, the price is neither here or there. What actually matters is will they keep binning and producing them. Let's face it, there will be 100,000's of thousands of us who will want it........................................a 50,000 production run is just not on.

Back
Top Bottom