• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Wil be interesting where the TR's start from. 16 cores is enough for me, so while I had a TR 1950X, I'll more likely be going 3850X this round which I intend to keep for 4 years+. Same high-performance 16 cores on TR, I dunno, I would consider the TR but I don't see me wanting more than 16 cores but will see how the specs turn out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wil be interesting where the TR's start from. 16 cores is enough or me so while I had a TR 1950X, I'll more likely be going 3850X this round which I intend to keep for 4 years+. Same high-performance 16 cores on TR, I dunno, I would consider the TR but I don't see me wanting more than 16 cores but will see how the specs turn out.

This is the thing, Threadripper is more than just core counts. It's all the extra PCI-E lanes, higher RAM limits, ECC RAM support, etc. that makes for a good workstation. If we do get a 16 core Ryzen 9 then it's a choice of just wanting the cores or needing the "bigger" platform. That's only something you can say.

Back in my video production days I would've gone the TR route because I could tie together lots of fast storage, oodles of RAM (because Adobe Dynamic Link is glorious and horrific in equal measure) and patch into remote storage and render farms over a 10Gb ethernet link. These days the most intensive thing I do is Fusion 360 renders, so it's just cores now, and probably not even 16.

Soldato
I see a limited anniversary 8086k style run using a few threadripper chiplets. If it's limited, why not. Threadripper has time to sort it's own binned pool before (assuming later) release.

Wil be interesting where the TR's start from. 16 cores is enough for me, so while I had a TR 1950X, I'll more likely be going 3850X this round which I intend to keep for 4 years+. Same high-performance 16 cores on TR, I dunno, I would consider the TR but I don't see me wanting more than 16 cores but will see how the specs turn out.

There's still all the extra PCIe lanes on threadripper.

Associate
Lol, yeah fair enough, it's still pretty slick at opening Calculator.

Installing some games/software is hitting 100%.

Honestly a lot of games I play aren't maintaining 60fps (or anywhere near) due to it not being powerful enough. (granted 8gb of 1333mhz ram won't be helping)

Regarding gaming I agree my 3770k is starting to show its age, open world games like AC Origins and Division 2 are maxing out the cpu; I have to reduce things like rendering distance and object detail as the 3770k is struggling even at 4K. Although I suspect only having 8GB of ram for more recent games is having a more negative effect in your case. Cannot wait for Zen 2!

Soldato
Regarding gaming I agree my 3770k is starting to show its age, open world games like AC Origins and Division 2 are maxing out the cpu; I have to reduce things like rendering distance and object detail as the 3770k is struggling even at 4K. Although I suspect only having 8GB of ram for more recent games is having a more negative effect in your case. Cannot wait for Zen 2!
BFV with RT enabled frequently maxes out a 6700K @ 1440P using a 2080. Performance still good though but buying new now I'd want no less than 8cores. Think Zen 2 is a good time for those owning older CPU's for a whole load of reasons

Caporegime
BFV with RT enabled frequently maxes out a 6700K @ 1440P using a 2080. Performance still good though but buying new now I'd want no less than 8cores. Think Zen 2 is a good time for those owning older CPU's for a whole load of reasons
Should be a decent upgrade for me from a 2500k @ 3.3 (sacrilege I know!)

Caporegime
So what would be the best CPU for gaming ? the Ryzen 5 3600x ?
Looking that way to me. If you mean "sweat spot" anyhow. The absolute best will be the top of the range probably - because you get not only more cores but higher boost freq, allegedly.

I'm hedging my bets that 8c/16t will be enough for a good while; say until the PS6/XBox OnePlusOne bring more 16c to the average gamer (if it happens).

Associate
Looking that way to me. If you mean "sweat spot" anyhow. The absolute best will be the top of the range probably - because you get not only more cores but higher boost freq, allegedly.

I'm hedging my bets that 8c/16t will be enough for a good while; say until the PS6/XBox OnePlusOne bring more 16c to the average gamer (if it happens).

Assuming you mean the best bang for buck gaming processor then it will be the 3600/3600x.

Taking your question literally, the absolute best CPU for gaming is the 3850X.

yea the best middle ground really one that the CPU wont be bottle necking anything and any games that have a heavy CPU usage would be able to cope with easily

Caporegime
3600/X to the 3700/X then, depending on budget and games played. I'm leaning towards the 3600/X myself.

Of course we still don't know do we if the leaked specs are even what AMD will end up releasing. What do we have to date apart from leaks from vendors?

Soldato
I don’t understand this post...

Why do want a cpu to bottleneck your gpu?

So when I upgrade the GPU in 2 or 3 years it will be a balanced system. If I bought a balanced system from the start, my upgrade options would be limited in 2 or 3 years.

I intend to keep the CPU for a while but replace the GPU a few times. So the final GPU in this system would be comparible to a 2080ti but for a fraction of the cost becuase it will be a good few years down the line.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So when I upgrade the GPU in 2 or 3 years it will be a balanced system. If I bought a balanced system from the start, my upgrade options would be limited in 2 or 3 years.

I intend to keep the CPU for a while but replace the GPU a few times. So the final GPU in this system would be comparible to a 2080ti but for a fraction of the cost becuase it will be a good few years down the line.

I’m still not getting it...a modern cpu makes jack difference depending on resolution.

Soldato
Me me me. Lol.
Sorry, wasn't meant to come across like that - I state it that way to see how our requirements compare, so, like to see what others want from their next CPU. But "I'd" can be "You'd" in the case of my last reply, ie, "You'd really not want less than 8 cores buying new now". :). Probably how we talk where I'm from too. If someone said they were buying 8GB of memory and I thought 16 was better, I'd probably recommend that with "I'd buy 16GB if it were me", rather than telling them "You should get 16" :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom