• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
Does your board had offset settings? To OC to 4.5ghz without much voltage and heat, need motherboard with offset on the voltage, boost override etc
Have a look here some ideas.

Yes it does, however using a small negative offset, Performance Enhancer 3, bclk 103.4, which gives about 4490 ish boost, the voltages spike well over 1.5v, so too much for me. Temps are not too bad. :)

I just stuck with a 4.2 all core clock.

Soldato
I really hope they can at least draw level with Intel on single core performance. It would be nice to change to a new, cheaper platform. At the moment though my 4790k has better single core performance than even the 2700x going by the cinebench comparison we did in the huge Ryzen thread. Before anybody says it, I know multicore performance is better than Intel but that is totally irrelevant to me as most of the games that I play are single threaded.

AMD have drawn level with Intel on performance.

Permabanned
Hope they're good to go in my X470 board! I purchased it with a 2600X over Intel with the gamble in mind that Zen2 would let me drop in an Intel-beating processor when they were released. Fingers crossed they don't need a new chipset!

Same here, At the moment I'm currently using my 2700 with a B350 m-atx board and I want to take advantage of the platforms longevity promise from AMD so if I can use this with a Ryzen 3000 it'll be great news.

Permabanned
Maybe if they had higher clockspeeds but at the moment a overclocked 2700x would be a expensive downgrade from my 4790k in single threaded games. I am not interested in multicore performance because like I said, most of the games that I play are single threaded.

I've noticed this, I did move from a 4790k to what's now a 2700x and the Stalker Call of Pripyat Xray engine doesn't take advantage of extra cores,
To compound the issue I'm currently play a resource heavy mod that I haven't played in years & my 2700x seems to be struggling with, There's always been some judder when moving in and out of heavily populated areas but I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now.

Caporegime
Maybe if they had higher clockspeeds but at the moment a overclocked 2700x would be a expensive downgrade from my 4790k in single threaded games. I am not interested in multicore performance because like I said, most of the games that I play are single threaded.

At 4.5Ghz my 4690K scored about 165 ST, at 3.9Ghz the 1600 scores 160 ST, the 2600 scores about 175 ST at 4.2Ghz.

The highest score i got out the 4690K was 186, that was at 4.8Ghz with silly volts and on the brink of melting, even 4.6Ghz was not viable 24/7 with my Kraken X31 AIO the shift in voltage from 4.5 to 4.6 was quite large to be stable, that was the 24/7 clock, 4.5Ghz.

Single threaded performance there is no difference despite the 600Mhz clock speed difference, there was one game that i play which did have my Ryzen 1600 trailing the 4690K a little, that was Arma III, thats got a Ryzen patch a couple of months ago and the 1600 is now faster, significantly faster, i'm sure there are a couple of other game that could do with a Ryzen patch, perhaps CS-GO? but then again i play a lot of Insurgency which the 1600 is again better, the 4690K suffered from stuttering from a lack of threads, like a lot of other games i play and Insurgency share the same 'Source Engine'

Mostly gaming performance has improved, sometimes a lot, its not always better but i have yet to find where its worse and the 4690K is not future proof anything like the 1600, nor is the 4790K.

Brhf1MX.png

xuBiswk
xuBiswk.png

Clock speed is nothing without IPC and Ryzen is a lot higher in that department than Haswell, its level with Coffeelake.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One area that AMD still lacks in that kind of has me regretting going Ryzen is emulation.

PS3 Emulation has massively taken off, and the developers pretty much don't recommend Ryzen due to instruction sets missing etc.

There's a plethora of PS3 games that I've still got to play, and I'd rather play them with an emulator to allow for much better IQ.

Permabanned
False. It would be 1:1 in st games and ahead i MT games.like score is 180-181 and my 5820k was around 175-176 .
But 3000 series shoukd be epic if they dont go stupid mode and just add cores not clickspeed

Man of Honour
What does the 4790K do in single threaded cinebench?

I get 190 with the 4790k at 4.6Ghz and my 4670k at 4.8Ghz gets 193.

For those are argueing that Ryzen is on a par with Coffeelake and clockspeed is nothing without IPC the way I see it you need both and both of my Haswell cpu's score better than any of the Ryzen cpu's so Haswell to Ryzen is a downgrade as far as single core performance goes. Yes, Ryzen is similar clock for clock with Coffeelake but Ryzen cannot get near the same clockspeeds so are still a downgrade for my uses.

Here you go this is my 4790k @ 4.6Ghz with a cinebench run that I have just done. I know Ryzen is much better with multicore but that's irrelevant to me as single core performance is everything to the games I play (mostly sims).

qIrCG4R.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom