• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I for one wouldn't mind just a regular 8 core chip but with a massive IPC & latency improvement. This should be possible, since 7nm is a lot denser than 12/14nm, so a big core evolution is in the realm of possibility.

I suspect a lot of people might agree with you, me included.

I think 8 core 16 threads is going to be the sweet spot for gaming.

Soldato
I suspect a lot of people might agree with you, me included.

I think 8 core 16 threads is going to be the sweet spot for gaming.

I thinks this is spot on for gamers and regular PC users.

12-16+ core definitely has a place for creative pros, Devs, and anyone into virtualization though which is still a pretty big market.

Memory limits on AM4 are not keeping up with core counts though IMO, AMD will need to support the new 32gb udimms when they become more widely available, which would give us 128gb max on AM4

Soldato
I wouldn't blame AMD for holding back a 16 core to counter Intels reaction. Could use a 16 core though to run multiple encodes in parallel so hope it's not too long and falls within my budget. Threadripper would be ideal but it's too rich for me. A competitevely priced Ryzen 16 core with decent clock speed would be a dream come true.

Whatever happens it's really good to see AMD back and pulling punches.

That leak shouldn't have happend because Intel now know about the 16 core chip and may already be planning a counter move. I would have liked Intel to have been caught with their pants down.

The idea that Intel could be caught with their pants down due to a surprise 16c CPU is nonsense. The moment Lisa Su displayed a CPU at CES and said "you'd expect us to fill that gap, wouldn't you?" would have been a clear sign to anyone other than an idiot that 16c was going to be possible.
Are we trying to say that Intel engineers, all of them, are idiots?
Come on, be real.
16c leaked/hinted/announced means nothing at all about Intel having their pants down. They are where they are because they screwed up 10nm, no more.

Soldato
Intel already are behind in many ways.

Meltdown and other hardware mitigation's causing them large performance hits in enterprise space, the HTT stuff is really bad on VM's, and meltdown can be pretty nasty as well.

Low yields in production, this I kinda speculated already anyway due to the pricing and shortages.

Bad power efficiency, intel have gone backwards.

More expensive chipsets, especially in that the B chipsets can unlock cpu multipliers still on AM4.

The one thing they clinging to is per core performance. Which lucky for them is still important. As soon as AMD nail that one they are in big trouble. Although I think they already in trouble anyway, what I am seeing happen in the datacentre's is a new momentum swing, but as I said before it will take time for that to show up in numbers because old kit isnt just vanishing overnight, companies will use it as long as they can.

Where I have little knowledge is market share in laptops, NUC's and office type businesses, you guys in this thread have suggested AMD are not making much in road there. But the solution could be as simple as making their higher core chips have an integrated gpu like intel's do.

The other issue is compilers, a lot of pre compiled stuff is optimised for intel on compilers, however often still compatible with AMD, typically on linux and bsd most of the time you can switch vendor and it will still boot, albeit with possible reconfiguration needed for things like network labels, but would boot and operate. Windows we know is more complicated, however not inside a VM, when I switched from an i5 750 to ryzen 2 2600X, my windows VM's just booted right up. This is probably a factor why offices are more stubborn as they will often use windows bare metal. Also in that many companies use older versions of windows as well, which of course ryzen is only officially supported on windows 10 (although same applies to newer intel).

Last edited:
Soldato
I know it's meaningless but i saw an advert on TV the other day for a AMD powered Ryzen laptop, admittedly it was Argos but still it did surprise me to hear AMD and Ryzen mentioned in a TV advert.

I guess you're average Jo isn't even aware of Ryzen or that AMD are still in business. :)

Soldato
I know it's meaningless but i saw an advert on TV the other day for a AMD powered Ryzen laptop, admittedly it was Argos but still it did surprise me to hear AMD and Ryzen mentioned in a TV advert.

I guess you're average Jo isn't even aware of Ryzen or that AMD are still in business. :)

I've said before in this thread somewhere that AMD should be getting together with OEM's to push forward an ongoing marketing campaign, much along the lines of the "Intel Inside" campaign. AMD as an option has to be implanted into the mindset of consumers. Now is the time to be doing that, while Intel are on the back foot. AMD may well only have a couple of years where they have better and cheaper parts than Intel.

Associate

Ive actually seen a few over the last couple of weeks.

Caporegime

I went to PC World for a brows last weekend, they had about 50 Laptop's on display, about 10 of them were Ryzen 3 / 5 + Vega, so 1 in 5 but just 2 years ago, even less you would be lucky to find 1 in 50 on display if any at all, i have even seen them advertise Ryzen Laptops on the telly.

AMD did say in their last end of year investors conference that they are pushing hard into OEM spaces with success.

Back
Top Bottom