• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Sorry if this has already been covered but am I right in assuming the only difference between x470 and x570 would be PCI-E 4.0 support on one slot? And that GPUs are nowhere near saturating PCI-E 3.0 yet?

Like someone else on here I'm thinking of picking up an older CPU at cut price with an b450 and riding on behind the curve, personal life is now dictating I can't afford £250 x570, £300 cpu and £100 RAM, although a smidgen over £300 for 1700, B450 and RAM might be doable...

If you are gaming I would get a Ryzen 5 2600 instead.

Soldato
I was thinking that but with the PS5 having an 8 core CPU (admittedly down clocked) I would be loathe to go 6 core, even if it would be a quicker chip

Ryzen 2000 improved cache latencies which helped games. The Ryzen 7 1700 has a very poor default boost curve IIRC,and when you overclock them you will need a decentish board and good cooling. TBH,I would wait for one of the lower end Ryzen 2 6C or 8C CPUs.

Associate
Ryzen 2000 improved cache latencies which helped games. The Ryzen 7 1700 has a very poor default boost curve IIRC,and when you overclock them you will need a decentish board and good cooling. TBH,I would wait for one of the lower end Ryzen 2 6C or 8C CPUs.

I didn't realise re: cache latency. Thanks for the heads up. I guess i'm seeing these daft prices and jumping the gun a bit. Impatient! Although i do have an old Noctua NH U12P on my xeon currently so i'd like to think i would be able to cool a 1700 overclocked to 3.8ghz

Soldato
man is it july yet? amd really messed up released date for zen 2. it should have been out in april
Although I argued for a March/April release because it follows the same pattern as the previous 2 generations, X570 motherboards were never hinted at being even announced earlier than Computex, and AMD aren't going to **** off their board partners by releasing CPUs earlier and nobody upgrading their motherboards and/or indirectly ******* off the consumers by board vendors blocking BIOS updates on existing boards to force X570 sales.

Frustrating yes, especially for those who have invested in a decent X370 or X470 for the explicit reason of a viable upgrade path, but it's all about the money and releasing the CPUs and motherboards together means a cohesive ecosystem from the off.

Also, there's a boat load of binning to do to cover the various Ryzen and EPYC SKUs, without even covering Threadripper yet, so it's possible that's delayed things a bit too.

Caporegime
I mean, AMD want to make money. So if its ready for July, be assured they will release in July. Lisa might not be a hound for the pound but she will want her dividends.

Taking too long to go to market has always been a significant problem for AMD, be it because they can't get the products market ready in time or because they think stretching their product launches out over a longer period is somehow good, whatever it is AMD far too often find themselves late to the party, beaten to the punch.

The longer they take getting what looks like a game changing CPU out the more time they give Intel to do something about it, AMD just can't seem to learn the art of landing the knockout blow, it seems every time they get to that stage they bottle it, lower their arms and allow the opposition to knock them out.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, AMD are masters at it.

Back
Top Bottom