• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
Em... Not for you it's not. You don't speak for everyone. Why on earth would you WANT a component to get so hot it needs active cooling rather than run cooler and not require a fan? That's just ridiculous.
I've had chipset fans in the past and I can tell you they are audible when running.

You don't understand why the fan is needed in the first place. It can be because without it, the temperature would go easily over 100°C, and with it and very little flow, the temperature can safely stay up to 80°C.
Better not to comment :D

Soldato
You don't understand why the fan is needed in the first place. It can be because without it, the temperature would go easily over 100°C, and with it and very little flow, the temperature can safely stay up to 80°C.
Better not to comment :D
Stop press: Hot component is made cooler with fan!

Thanks for the lesson oh wise one.

Soldato
The issue with some cases re airflow is the lack of a semi open dust meshed front. There's so many cases that are decent but let down by front air intake having to rely on side slits to draw in air.

Soldato
ES 12C/24T at 3.4GHz/3.7GHz/average measured 3.35GHz: https://wccftech.com/amd-12-core-ze...mark-leaked-higher-ipc-vs-threadripper-1920x/

AMD 12 Core Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 Series CPU ES Benchmark Leaked – Higher IPC vs Threadripper 1920X

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-series-x570-gaming-motherboard-pictured/
Another AMD X570 Chipset Based Motherboard For AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs Pictured, The CVN X570 Gaming Pro With 10 Phase VRM

Never heard of CVN, but damn, that is an excellent looking board.

Soldato
@Plec you must be liking these board leaks!
Hey Orbi (@orbitalwalsh)

Must admit i was a little disconcerted by the reappearance of another PCH fan. I was hoping the Biostar inclusion was the motherboard equivalent of a go faster-stripe that was needed but with minimal impact. But with these new leaks it would seem that it's a necessary adoption - and hopefully will only kick in when pressed. Have to wait and see...

All looks a bit a old School - bringing back memories of modded small fans suspended/strapped over the Northbridge to keep clocks stable. At least these are embedded/screwed on and in the CVN's case looks like it was deigned with intent rather than Biostar's ugly slapped on afterthought (my personal view).

Hoping with later revisions these will eventually get phased out. That said quite excited that they're required if the performance warrants it. Still praying i'm not away during release - it's going to be close :/

Soldato
Well we know AMD are creating the chipset and we know it uses about the double the power of previous ones. This might be because it was created on an older node such as 22/28nm, due to their quotas with Global Foundries.

Caporegime
Clocks show equal performance to the

USA-User, 7 hrs ago.Ryzen TR 1920X,
SP3r2, 1 CPU, 12 cores, 24 threads
Base clock 4.05 GHz, turbo 4 GHz (avg)
113 single | 438 quad | 1811 multi
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-Ryzen-TR-1920X/Rating/3934

Ryzen 3700 12 core Sample @ 3.35Ghz
1920X @ 4.0Ghz = +20%

Score to IPC difference:
107 single | 428 qaud | 1805 multi
+15% | +18% | +19.6%

Caporegime
Will reserve judgement on the fan until we see some more mainstream brands.

About a year ago the story was AMD were dumping ASMedia as their Chipset provider for the 500 series Motherboards in favour of developing their own.

According to Buildzoid those fans are there because the chipset gets hot of you do funky stuff with it, like NVMe Raid Arrays. tho he couldn't confirm that as fact.

Soldato
PCIe 4 signals need better copper traces and signal repeaters over a certain length from what I remember. So you can conceivably make the closest PCIe slot to the CPU PCIe 4 capable (less than 7 inches away), but couldn't run those signals down the length of the board to other areas like M.2 slots.

It looks like this is why the PCH has the bulk of PCIe 4 lanes coming off it so there's no need for repeaters and such to drive the M.2 slots close by, leaving the CPU to worry about the PCIe slots and all the signal-boosting tomfoolery.

Ok, that's interesting, thanks.

If the m.2 slot using lanes from the cpu is within a certain distance from the cpu socket, could that be upgraded too?

Are you saying the chipset will be using GEN 4 lanes in these new boards?
I expected the chipset to be using gen 3 lanes, with 4 gen 4 lanes in the cpu being used for communication with the chipset.

Soldato
Mini ITX physically doesn't have the space to cram in all the devices that would connect up to that PCH. You'd get PCIe 4 on the single 16x slot coming off the CPU and a maximum of 2 NVMe drives running full speed off the chipset. Really doubt you'd need active cooling for that.

It does seem rather excessive to need a fan though especially since so much I/O is still part of the physical CPU in Ryzen. We will need to wait and see.

More than one X570 mini-ITX board would be an improvement from last gen, I've not looked recently but wasn't there only like one X470 mini-ITX board?

In an ideal world I'd like the chipset fan to be temperature controlled, maybe even with the ability to set a custom fan profile, that way it can remain switched off unless things get toasty.

There were a few - one from ASRock and one from Asus.

Soldato
About a year ago the story was AMD were dumping ASMedia as their Chipset provider for the 500 series Motherboards in favour of developing their own.

According to Buildzoid those fans are there because the chipset gets hot of you do funky stuff with it, like NVMe Raid Arrays. tho he couldn't confirm that as fact.

Yep, remember the same thing. Also just did a very unscientific test on my CH6. I have an "old School" twin fan cooler on my ram (it is running 3533Mhz @ 1.43v) so needs it. Just unplugged the cooler and hardly noticed the sound difference..........................unless these chipset coolers have got some horrendous fan on them, i really cant see it being an issue.

Caporegime
Yep, remember the same thing. Also just did a very unscientific test on my CH6. I have an "old School" twin fan cooler on my ram (it is running 3533Mhz @ 1.43v) so needs it. Just unplugged the cooler and hardly noticed the sound difference..........................unless these chipset coolers have got some horrendous fan on them, i really cant see it being an issue.

Depends on how fast these small fans spin, at low RPM, 1000 to 1500 you probably wouldn't hear them at all, at 4000 yeah they would sound like a hairdryer.

Back
Top Bottom