• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
No such thing as a 0 noise PC, not in the higher end, at idle i run all my case fans off, they ramp up when the CPU hits 50c and go up in RMP the higher the temperature, the GPU fans are off out of the box until it hits 60c.

I can't do that with the AIO fan as the CPU would overheat, At idle its set for low RPM and again ramps up with temperature and its not silent, tho very very quiet.

Associate
No such thing as a 0 noise PC, not in the higher end, at idle i run all my case fans off, they ramp up when the CPU hits 50c and go up in RMP the higher the temperature, the GPU fans are off out of the box until it hits 60c.
I can't do that with the AIO fan as the CPU would overheat, At idle its set for low RPM and again ramps up with temperature and its not silent, tho very very quiet.
Ryzen CPUs have a TDP and real world power usage that allows them to be cooled silently based on my experience with other ~100W CPUs.
Some are around 65W which is easy.
I used to run a Q6600 at 3GHz and even at full load at 2AM when the ambient noise floor is low I couldn't hear it at all unless I put my head under the desk.

Depends on how fast these small fans spin, at low RPM, 1000 to 1500 you probably wouldn't hear them at all.
I run fans at about 700 rpm max so 1,500 would be a real buzz kill.

Associate
Passive cooling isn't exactly synonymous with systems sporting 12 to 16 cores and multiple NVMe drives, to be fair.
I never go passive as it's way too limiting and expensive.
Happy to use 2 to 4 fans and can still be silent with that.
There will be ways to address this issue so it's more a matter of whether it's a hassle or not.

Caporegime
Ryzen CPUs have a TDP and real world power usage that allows them to be cooled silently based on my experience with other ~100W CPUs.
Some are around 65W which is easy.
I used to run a Q6600 at 3GHz and even at full load at 2AM when the ambient noise floor is low I couldn't hear it at all unless I put my head under the desk.

I run fans at about 700 rpm max so 1,500 would be a real buzz kill.

I can't believe that a 100 watt CPU wouldn't overheat with passive cooling after 3 hours of encoding, not unless you have very good airflow in which case your using active cooling in the case.

Associate
I can't believe that a 100 watt CPU wouldn't over heat with passive cooling after 3 hours of encoding, not unless you have very good case airflow in which case your using active cooling in the case.
Silent doesn't have to mean passive. The Q6600 system had 4 fans and a hard drive. You just need to know what you are doing.

Man of Honour
Silent doesn't have to mean passive. The Q6600 system had 4 fans and a hard drive. You just need to know what you are doing.

I have my 4820K (130W TDP) currently on a Zalman FX70 (rated 95W passive) and just using 3x 140mm BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 case fans holds a 4.4GHz (all core) overclock fine (no thermal throttling), very quiet - the Corsair Air 540 case helps a lot though.

Probably manage that without the fans on all but the warmest of summer days as well though I'm in no hurry to test that theory.

(I do have a 120mm fan on the vents close above it that spins up if the CPU temperatures go nuts but so far that hasn't happened).

Soldato
The only game demo that will be of any realistic use will be something esports, so 1080p at 240fps. That's really the only place where Intel has a sizeable performance advantage, so if Ryzen 3000 can be shown to close or eliminate that gap then we're onto a winner and make logical assumptions that other performance deficits (minimum fps for instance) will also be rectified.

Depends on the games they test with, if they use something like Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed at 1080p and show them close to matching or beating a 9900k then that would be really positive news. If they pull a similar stunt to what they did with the original Zen launch and have something like Sniper Elite 4 and spending most of their time trying to look at the sky box then I would start to get concerned.

Caporegime
Depends on the games they test with, if they use something like Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed at 1080p and show them close to matching or beating a 9900k then that would be really positive news. If they pull a similar stunt to what they did with the original Zen launch and have something like Sniper Elite 4 and spending most of their time trying to look at the sky box then I would start to get concerned.

meh.... a lot of reviewers did this with Intel CPU's vs Ryzen, sit staring at the Skybox with a 4 core Intel CPU screaming look how good Intel are, you don't need more than 4 cores....

The reality is....

https://youtu.be/4RMbYe4X2LI?t=341

Soldato
meh.... a lot of reviewers did this with Intel CPU's vs Ryzen, sit staring at the Skybox with a 4 core Intel CPU screaming look how good Intel are, you don't need more than 4 cores....

The reality is....

https://youtu.be/4RMbYe4X2LI?t=341

and it was AMD trying to to that to make their CPU look better at gaming that they were to keep the hype going, and if they trying to do the same again it would suggest that it may be a similar situation.

Caporegime
and it was AMD trying to to that to make their CPU look better at gaming that they were to keep the hype going, and if they trying to do the same again it would suggest that it may be a similar situation.

As anyone would AMD are going to show their products in the best light, Sniper 4 is an AMD title and Mantle which likes high core count CPU's.

But at the time this was also true for a lot of other games, at least when comparing Ryzen 5 to Core i5, Including Tomb Raider, the higher thread count gave the Ryzen 1600/X much more consistent and much higher performance in the demanding parts of AAA games making it a much better gaming CPU, in that range.

Trust me, this CPU replaced an i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, the 1600 is vastly better.

CHmOGdu.png

j2RUaEQ.png

Caporegime
as with any review benchmark take with pinch of salt. most have bias especially when they have relations with certain companies. intel have had the gaming scene cpu wise mopped up for over 10 years. we all know that. we just hoping amd have this finally caught up with these new cpus. not long now.

Back
Top Bottom