• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Sorry to hear this. I don't think it's normal. What are you doing with the laptop to cause its fans to spin all the time? Normally, the fans begin to rotate when you load the CPU or GPU a lot.
For a comparison, my Acer Nitro 5 is perfect in this regard, I hear the fans maybe not more than 5 times a day, and they become audible for no more than 5-10 seconds.

Which is your laptop's brand and make? I would try to write to their support for new BIOS/firmware, and then RMA if not helps.
I am doing nothing. The laptop is literally idle with its fans going constantly, I guess they ddin't think to put a zero-RPM mode in it but the point is that small fans are always annoying, unless they're programmed to not spin up except in a few circumstances where they're actually needed.

Man of Honour
I am doing nothing. The laptop is literally idle with its fans going constantly, I guess they ddin't think to put a zero-RPM mode in it but the point is that small fans are always annoying, unless they're programmed to not spin up except in a few circumstances where they're actually needed.

Chipset fans, etc. are usually always on rather than temperature or load controlled and often make a bad whining noise :( one thing I do find with Windows 10 is that more often than not when I first turn on it is doing prep in the background for the next lot of updates or other background tasks (the anti-malware service likes to hog a lot of CPU time sometimes) which keeps fans working harder for longer on laptops, etc. (and impacts battery life) putting my main laptop back to Windows 7 it rarely even spins up the fan at idle versus 10 where it would take like 40 minutes of uptime before it was quiet at idle.

Soldato
Chipset fans, etc. are usually always on rather than temperature or load controlled and often make a bad whining noise :( one thing I do find with Windows 10 is that more often than not when I first turn on it is doing prep in the background for the next lot of updates or other background tasks (the anti-malware service likes to hog a lot of CPU time sometimes) which keeps fans working harder for longer on laptops, etc. (and impacts battery life) putting my main laptop back to Windows 7 it rarely even spins up the fan at idle versus 10 where it would take like 40 minutes of uptime before it was quiet at idle.

Windows 10 is terrible for spying and background tasks and servicehost updates, even when you tweak the registry and disable the tac-ons. I wouldn't be suprised if reviewers get affected by their benchmarks, unaware of the resources being run.

Man of Honour
Windows 10 is terrible for spying and background tasks and servicehost updates, even when you tweak the registry and disable the tac-ons. I wouldn't be suprised if reviewers get affected by their benchmarks, unaware of the resources being run.

I've often wondered on that point - it isn't unusual for the anti-malware service for instance to spin up and sit there using 40% CPU for half an hour, etc. of its own accord.

Soldato
E3CBB179-E0A5-4AF0-A8DF-07EE1D3CF3CC.jpeg.16d53d21b5aa6e15a9c8c083e0850c7e.jpeg

Associate

Those and the indiscriminate updates against exploits like MDS. I love Win10, though. It's so stable.

Back
Top Bottom