• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
im hoping the 12x is 4.5ghz stock and £300 or less with intel matching ipc. its a big ask but thats what i would buy it at.

i would only consider the 8 core if it clocks above 4.5ghz and matches intel ipc if its £200 or under. as the pc im upgrading is basically slightly slower than that.

Soldato
Personally i think top Ryzen 7 should remain 275-350 tops as it was previously and Ryzen 9 at maybe 350-425.

Essentially keep with the old tiers, the Ryzen 9 can be priced a bit higher, it will still look very reasonable versus Intel and help mindshare, whilst hopefully making good profit due to lower costs. Obviously lower would be welcome.

You want it to look good value and powerful, not cheap/cack, to the unwanted masses which admittedly can be a tough thing to balance.

If there is a halo part that can be priced with a higher margin as long as its not excessive.

Soldato
To get this back on topic, what would be your guys point to 'bite' on Zen 2? Clocks/cores/price etc.
Combination of: minimum of 8 cores, with speed to make INTEL sweat all priced so that it gets AMD back in the game with the average consumer - not just enthusiasts in the know.

As @LePhuronn, rightly pointed out - 'INTEL inside' counts for a lot still with the average Joe out shopping.

Caporegime
well 2700 amd cpus 8 core 4.1 ghz going for £200 so with new updated replacement 8 core version i think realistically thats where the new 8 core should sit.price wise. its just how much gouging will go on ? if it clocks higher and almost matching the 9900k might even get pushed up to £300. intel if still in lead for games will just hold the price or drop to like £350 and still maintain gaming dominance

bad thing about that is the 12x will probably be £400+ unless....amd really want to stick it to intel and keep £300 or just below the 9900k

Soldato
Combination of: minimum of 8 cores, with speed to make INTEL sweat all priced so that it gets AMD back in the game with the average consumer - not just enthusiasts in the know.

As @LePhuronn, rightly pointed out - 'INTEL inside' counts for a lot still with the average Joe out shopping.

Mindshare is a powerful thing, it happens against Nvidia in the GPU market too. Even if AMD are competitive a lot use it as an excuse to wait for Intel/Nvidia just to drop prices. I work in a large IT department and it's amazing to me how many knowledgeable people tell me they buy Intel/Nvidia regardless of price or performance.

For me a £400 16 core at ~4.7Ghz all core boost would be a 100% buy. 12 cores with similar for about £320-£350 would be a buy too.

Soldato
it's amazing to me how many knowledgeable people tell me they buy Intel/Nvidia regardless of price or performance.
Yep, see it all the time on the 'New to PC Gaming' Forum - so many come in with pre-conceived misgivings of AMD. Some rightly so, with past releases - but even after detailed updates of Ryzen and simple undervolting tweaks for VEGA, all you've achieved is a bloodied head from hitting a brick wall.

For me a £400 16 core at ~4.7Ghz all core boost would be a 100% buy. 12 cores with similar for about £320-£350 would be a buy too.
If the 12 core hits that money - i would sub out the 8 core.

Associate
12 core for me in the £300-£350 region. 16 core if the clock speeds are decent at the £400 region. Plan to have this cpu for 5 years at least so would definitely consider plumping for the flagship if it's not Intel price gouged.

Associate
12 core for me in the £300-£350 region. 16 core if the clock speeds are decent at the £400 region. Plan to have this cpu for 5 years at least so would definitely consider plumping for the flagship if it's not Intel price gouged.

If you expect those prices at launch, then a big chance you'll be disaapointed. The Ryzen 1800X was how much when it first came out?

It will be a awhile before we see those prices. The 14 core intel SL is £1,300.

Hyping the performance is one thing, but hyping the price that low is another. Dream on.

Associate
It's very worrying to see how the thread is occupied by the trolls and their comments still stay instead of being thrown into the recycle.
Oblivion007, Plec, beany_bot do nothing but trolling now.

The way this is set up means whatever I say it will look like trolling but genuinely wasn't attempting to troll at any point.

Associate
If you expect those prices at launch, then a big chance you'll be disaapointed. The Ryzen 1800X was how much when it first came out?

Hyping the performance is one thing, but hyping the price that low is another. Dream on.

I'm not that far out of line with what others said just before me.

What are you expecting price-wise? I'm genuinely curious.

Don't think we can bring Intel in for an apples to apples comparison.

Soldato
Furthermore, I've suggested in the past that given there's mindshare to fight against too, a significant shift in the pricing of the performance tiers will send the wrong message as well..

Mind share exists but IMO it's importance is overrated. If AMD has the fastest CPU's on the market bar none and are price competitive and can hold that position for a number of years then AMD will eventfully catch up and overtake Intel as the dominate player in the market, as consumers we naturally look for the best way to get the most out of money and whilst there are a handful of dumb folk out their the vast majority of use (like 95% of us) won't waste of cash on inferior products regardless of how a brand is seen. The same goes for graphics cards as well as there have been times when ATI were the dominate company in the industry where their products were superior the Nvidia's (such as the 9700 Pro vs FX lineup) and market share reflected that gap. The problem AMD have had is when it's had a lead it's never been able to capitalise on it's gains and consolidate it's position.

Soldato
still rocking a 2600k at 4.8ghz under water, for the first time in a lot of years i'm contemplating an upgrade, 16 core amd if they can get it up to at least 4.5ghz or so i'll be ecstatic, now if they can just sort me out a decent gpu for 4k/60 i'll be delighted

Associate

I'm not that far out of line with what others said just before me.

What are you expecting price-wise? I'm genuinely curious.

Don't think we can bring Intel in for an apples to apples comparison.

I would not be surprised if the 12 cores comes at 500. But, if its 300, I'll buy two. I'll stuff one on a B350 even if it blows.

Associate
People dont seem to understand it isnt 1960 anymore. Rome has priority and TSMC capasity is limited. They will not sell you 200£ 16 core cpu.

Soldato
1800X was £499. AMD will want to be in that tier again, no doubt. £300-350 for 12c would then be the value proposition
This is how i'm doing the math in my head too - but concerned (in a good way) that if they hit the consumers pre-hype speed, or even close, that AMD will pause and may restructure their aggressive pricing stance.

If they've been sat on healthy intel (intelligence go be clear) they may misconstrue the consumers appetite (or be spot on for all i know) and prices may come at a premium compared to earlier releases. They can stand on the shoulders of their earlier success to a degree - but i feel they will miss an opportunity to really get a strangle hold if they're over zealous with their pricing.

As mentioned earlier - most people i know still haven't heard of Ryzen. Yet they can sound off the INTEL advertising chime and the mantra that goes with it - which shows that AMD still have a lot of ground to cover with everyday joes. My hope is the release of zen 2, coupled with console tie-ins - that the brand will become synonymous with speed and quality again. Purely for the needed competition and the competition's complacency - plus who doesn't like an underdog success story...

Back
Top Bottom