• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Man of Honour
In an AMD biased synthetic benchmark, well done. Let's see real world gaming

Does it count as a synthetic benchmark when it's a real widely used application and represents real world render performance for productivity users? For some people gaming comes second.

Soldato
Does it count as a synthetic benchmark when it's a real widely used application and represents real world render performance for productivity users? For some people gaming comes second.

Fair enough, I only care about games though and it's all I'll talk about :p

The hardest "work" my home PC does is rendering a webpage but browsing is already pretty sweet, not sure I need faster browsing

Associate
Games games games... jeez...
Still if its good in R15 its likely going to be decent elsewhere, i doubt Zen2 will have much to worry about in the gaming department after all most of intels lead in that comes from there frequency uplift over zen + which they will not have any more.

Man of Honour
Real men render, boys play games, AMD is for men, son, now tidy your room.

Real men render while playing games :) Frankly the 16 core am4 isn't that interesting to me, more cores are required! I want a 5ghz boost TR4 32 core monster.

Edit: Well it is interesting but not interesting enough to give up quad channel memory or my tr4 platform.

Soldato
I whole heartedly agree - however if it is 5% less then Intel are still going to be able to claim the 'gaming' crown. That will slow uptake and potentially make people continue to choose i5 6core parts.
To me the 'win' comes if they can take the performance crown in most games as well as the productivity crown a they are going to have an impossible advantage over Intel in core count.
No games require stupid amount of cores, just raw clockspeed, and even when games use more then 6cores they will still run totally fine on less cores. Plus by that time intel will have more cores by then anyway.

Real men render while playing games :) Frankly the 16 core am4 isn't that interesting to me, more cores are required! I want a 5ghz boost TR4 32 core monster.

I never thought about doing background stuff aswel as gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is also about winning mind share and there is going to be a lot more generated if it beats intel in all metrics versus only leading in some. For my personal use I am only going to need extra performance for gaming, but I am interested to look at all the metrics on this release.

Soldato
Now pulled, but re-uploaded reveal of msi gaming plus and ace board. Starts around 1hr31 if interested...

https://youtu.be/eSpOiHadg70

TLDW - “semi passive” chipset cooling, so only switches fan on when needed. Ace has heat pipes linking chipset cooling and Ben cooling. WiFi 6. Entry level has 8+4, ACE has 8+8.

Edit - apologies I see this info has been posted in other forms earlier this eve.

Soldato
No games require stupid amount of cores
Define stupid amount? 4, like an i3? - Why not have enough to future proof?
, just raw clockspeed,
Someone please pass me the brick wall with IPC * Ghz = performance graffiti on it.
and even when games use more then 6cores they will still run totally fine on less cores. Plus by that time intel will have more cores by then anyway.
So god forbid that you should buy a platform that will muller intel now and still be awesome in 18 months, no you should throw it away and have to upgrade again???

If AMD has actually pulled off a 14% IPC gain over Zen+ then they are going to be about 10% Faster than Skylake clock for clock. So a 12 core hitting 5Ghz is the equivalent of your 8086k hitting 5.5ghz on air. In other words it will waste it. Oh btw it won't do that on all cores, just the ones it needs to have fully utilized for gaming as it has soooo many more threads it can run all the background tasks at lower speeds and not impact performance.

Associate
Still dont get this "Only need x cores for gaming"
Windows is still buggering about in the background, virus checks, backups running, tabs open bla bla bla.. all these things run happier with more cores even if the game doesnt take advantage of them.
Add in an improved disk IO system and AMDs platforms are going to look mighty fine next to intels.

Wish they would just release it already, have folded waiting .... need more toys.

Soldato
MSI MEG ACE x570 partially unveiled

Hard to see under the top shroud - but it definitely looks like some very beefy VRM
8+8 pin, providing 300w to CPU should it be required
PCH Fan is very well hidden under the Dragon logo shroud - doesn't spin until PCH reaches 60c
MSI Infinity light RGB OLED screen
Gold/Black theme
Wifi 6 built in
Dual 2.5g ethernet
24 pin connector facing side-ways (why can't every mobo do this!)

Overall this MOBO looks ******* SEXY!

fpylxrgj.1sz.png

Last edited:
Associate
Not in this universe. When exactly do you think Intel will be able to strap 16 or more cores into a 115x sized package without melting through the Earth's crust? There's sweet FA on their roadmaps which even hint at such a thing.

2022 is the earliest ... and that depends on their 7nm being viable and Jim Keller and team's new work being ready.

Though I'm sure they're still praying to Cthulu that somehow their process guys manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat with yields, clocks and ready to market time on the last gen of Core architecture on 7nm to make it competitive with Zen 4 in 2021.

Last edited:
Soldato
MSI MEG ACE x570 partially unveiled

Hard to see under the top shroud - but it definitely looks like some very beefy VRM
8+8 pin, providing 300w to CPU should it be required
PCH Fan is very well hidden under the Dragon logo shroud - doesn't spin until PCH reaches 60c
MSI Infinity light RGB OLED screen
Gold/Black theme
Wifi 6 built in
Dual 2.5g ethernet
24 pin connector facing side-ways (why can't every mobo do this!)

Overall this MOBO looks ******* SEXY!

fpylxrgj.1sz.png

Yep, had my eye on this for a while. I think it is Gigabit plus a 2.5 Gigabit? I'm actually quite liking the JPS gold and black colour scheme. This it the MEG Creation could be the pick of MSI boards as I expect the Godlike to be good but rediculously expensive.

Associate
No games require stupid amount of cores, just raw clockspeed, and even when games use more then 6cores they will still run totally fine on less cores. Plus by that time intel will have more cores by then anyway.

I never thought about doing background stuff aswel as gaming.

There are handful that do like BF and Witcher 3. Not sure about the upcoming ones.

https://i.imgur.com/YdeEPMc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom