• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Adopter.
But one can simply sell the X470/370 motherboard and buy a new X570, using it with either generation of processor. Remember that the PCI-E lanes are also in the chipset.
Yes the fact that PCIe4 is backwards compatible makes it perfect for AMD since they can implement it and still maintain backwards compatibility with all pre Zen 2 Ryzens.

Caporegime
I don't think it's as simple as just changing your board, because there's still 24 lanes from the CPU.

If you wanted PCI-E 4, I'd expect you'd be best off on all new kit.

Navi, Ryzen 2 with PCI-E 4 sounds like a pipe dream in a single buy to be honest. If it comes off then great, but they've shown nothing to suggest that they're ready for any GPU launches.

Associate
AMD to be an early adopter of PCIe 4.0 boosting Navi GPUs and Zen 2 CPUs
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-navi-zen-2-pcie-4

"It’s a strong bet the AMD Navi architecture is going to come out swinging for the fences with PCIe 4.0 support in 2019."
"With the 7nm Zen 2 processors set to launch in 2019 too, we could see PCIe 4.0 support built into that platform too"

I do not think many of us thought about PCIe4 already coming with Zen 2 but it does seem like AMD has decided to push hard for it.

Soldato
What is the benefit of PCie 4.0 over 3.0, I mean in real terms? It's likely very little.

For you it is very little, but for people who need the bandwidth per lane then it is a massive benefit. For the work I do, and the systems I design, and some of the scenarios I have encountered recently (especially with very high core count CPU's) the more bandwidth the better, it means less lanes needed for the same card/drive/GPU etc.

Associate
Things like M-2 drives, PCI-E SSD's, 10-gigabit Ethernet all use PCI bandwidth and have to compete with the GPU, so the more bandwidth you have available, the more devices you can attach without things slowing down.
Another thing is external graphics cards should see nice gains from PCIe4’s higher speeds and lower latency.

Soldato
M.2 SSDs are probably the only consumer products that will benefit from PCIe 4.0 in the short or medium term, assuming a successor that uses more than 4 lanes doesn't emerge.

Soldato
So... a 4.0/4.5GHz engineering sample is already "nibbling" at the 8700K. https://hardforum.com/threads/the-r...-has-received-its-first-zen-2-sample.1967802/
Launch in Q1 2019?

Couple of things, firstly a base of 4.0ghz and boost of 4.5ghz seems reasonably ok for an ES, hopefully better revisions or steppings or whatever are a base of 4.3-4.5 and a boost of 4.9-5ghz.

Secondly id like to see much better ram support, the chip was crashing a lot, how much of that is down to the memory? we have no idea.

Ideal scenario and this is being conservative, Ryzen 3700X is 8/16 base 4.4 Boost 4.9 with 3600mhz out of the box support.

Id like AMD to continue with their PBO stuff where you just let the chip do its magic and not have to really OC it yourself, yeah im lazy, but if it works well and the better cooling you throw at it the better results you get, that suits me fine :)

Associate
To be fair, 4 dimm boards seem to be much worse on dealing with 3600+ ddr4. For 2 dimm boards like the b450i from asus/msi I have seen them doing 3600-3800 stable, not only on Samsung B-die but also on Hynix C-die (stock 3200-3600mhz) and Micron 3rd gen die (stock 2400Mhz)

Soldato
Couple of things, firstly a base of 4.0ghz and boost of 4.5ghz seems reasonably ok for an ES, hopefully better revisions or steppings or whatever are a base of 4.3-4.5 and a boost of 4.9-5ghz.

Secondly id like to see much better ram support, the chip was crashing a lot, how much of that is down to the memory? we have no idea.

Ideal scenario and this is being conservative, Ryzen 3700X is 8/16 base 4.4 Boost 4.9 with 3600mhz out of the box support.

Id like AMD to continue with their PBO stuff where you just let the chip do its magic and not have to really OC it yourself, yeah im lazy, but if it works well and the better cooling you throw at it the better results you get, that suits me fine :)

I personally think the ES is probably close to what we might get,since I would rather AMD has improved IPC,and memory-CCX latency. Apparently the IF consumes a lot of power,and if you read later on in the thread,there seems to be changes to it. This is probably why it has been clocked at half the rated of the system RAM. If AMD can improve that alone that should help with gaming performance methinks as games are more latency intensive.

Soldato
AMD seems to have found its value at around $30...

For now I think. There's a lot to be positive about next year, but I think it's safer to temper expectations based on what AMD are offering now and then start pushing up again when the 7nm stuff lands, rather than explode to the moon at $70+ only to halve that if EPYC 2 and Vega 20 don't perform as expected.

Give it 6-9 months to let EPYC 2 get bedded in and I think we could see another 20 bucks plopped onto AMD's price; Ryzen 3000 won't do much to boost share price unless it destroys Sandy Bridge++++++++++ 9000 AND Intel can't produce them in sufficient quantities, triggering some kind of technological exodus.

Soldato
This time next year I have a feeling we could see about $50 or $60 per share, but I don't have any money to give it a go :(

Just like when they were hovering around pennies as the initial Zen rumours started to come out (and how many of us are really kicking ourselves now)

Permabanned
Give it 6-9 months to let EPYC 2 get bedded in and I think we could see another 20 bucks plopped onto AMD's price; Ryzen 3000 won't do much to boost share price

Ryzen 3000 will positively influence the market share, which will result in higher stock, as well.

Back
Top Bottom