• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Yeah i guess all the samples will be locked, very surprised if AMD go down the route of locking selected processors in the range.

Even if the 3600 is locked it is still chucking out silly numbers and is an excellent cpu from whats been leaked so far.

Soldato
9am EST, 14:00 BST. However I doubt that anyone will be sticking to that to be honest, there is little they can do to prevent the CPU's being shipped the day before either, for Sunday delivery.

South Bridge, this isn't Intel :p

Also that is why they have fans, to stop them overheating. ;)

It will be a locked sample, like most of the 3600's out there, hardware locked.

can't wait to hear that 3000rpm 40mm baby doing it's thang ;)

Soldato
Placeholder prices keep dropping.

There's an example where the prices are actually very slightly below $ conversion + 20% VAT.

Looks like this Ryzen launch will be like the two before, competitive prices on launch.

Caporegime
I'm asking if there is any evident difference in the overclocking potential of the current 65W chips vs the equivalent current 105W chips.

Thats fine ...last gen are not 7nm chips are they...so I'm not sure how knowing these clocks would help you make decision on 3700x or 3800x :p

Yeah my 2600 65 w topped out at 4.2ghz...go get a 3700x ! lol :p

Caporegime
My 2700 failed at anything higher than a 4.05ghz all core ( 65w )
My 2700 x manages 4.25 all core ( 105w ) althought I wouldn't call this better overclockng as both all cores are under the rated single core for each

Thanks for posting that...Its given me more of and insight into whether I buy a 3700x over a 3800 x :p

Soldato
My 2700 failed at anything higher than a 4.05ghz all core ( 65w )
My 2700 x manages 4.25 all core ( 105w ) althought I wouldn't call this better overclockng as both all cores are under the rated single core for each

This.
It's always the trade off. 100mhz less boost clock on 1-2 cores for 95% speed all core.
I'm in the "let XFR2 do it's thing" school of thought.

Soldato
Interesting results on the far cry graph, massive improvement over the 2700x but it is still significantly behind the 9900k, I wonder how much higher the clocks are going to be on the 3800x and 3900x in real testing.

Associate
Soldato
Pretty happy with my 8086k, clocked it to 5.2 Ghz now so it shouldn't have issues with any game for until I guess the end of this year or maybe another year after that. At least by that point the Zen 2 platform will have matured and prices settled.

I'm more interested in the Zen 2 based EPYC CPUs as I fancy replacing my 3 Supermicro E200-8D servers with one single 2U EPYC based rack mount and nest my vCenter environment on it.

You got a 6/12 chip (probably best chip intel ever made for mainstream), clocked at 5.2, AMD wont be catching that this gen, it will last you a lot more than a year, probably 4-5 years before it becomes an issue in games in my opinion.

Caporegime
They did catch it... catching it isn't the problem though, single core was hardly going to be bested, the main benefit in AMD's line up is MCP at a decent price while being in-line with Intel's top end SCP wise (give or take, and less if it needs the 10-20 ns latency bump).

Also while the consoles have technically been 8 core this gen, the devs are likely to start seriously pushing it with the next ones, especially with the improved ability GPU wise, but yes a top of the line 6 core should be fine for a few years yet.

Interesting results on the far cry graph, massive improvement over the 2700x but it is still significantly behind the 9900k, I wonder how much higher the clocks are going to be on the 3800x and 3900x in real testing.

Gotta wait until the more tests are out, that review seems awkward with it's memory issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom