• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
And were chipset fans ever really a concern when they were commonplace? You got the odd loud one or failure but it wasn't exactly a big issue. I can't recall ever having a fan die on a pc be it intake, exhaust, gpu cpu or chipset and that's going back about 25 years.

People have been using small fans to help cool m.2 drives as well, its a non issue that he's trying to make an issue out of. But if Intel were to do the same be amazed at his silence on the issue.:rolleyes:

Yeah it’s a non issue.

Associate
Rightly, or wrongly, the fan on the x570 motherboards put me off buying one.
Therefore (rightly, or wrongly again) I bought an x470 this time last year.
They lost an x570 sale, but gained an x470 sale - it's an ASUS Crosshair VII and at £250 they got a good sale out of me.

Caporegime
And for dg's info x570 has a chip-set fan because in the case of heavy pcie usage there is potential for it to throttle. As for why b550 doesn't have the fan:

In order to separate the B550s from X570 motherboards, there are a few important differences between the two, and the major one is that while pretty much everything on an X570 motherboard is driven by PCIe 4.0, on the B550 the main connection between the CPU and the chipset still uses a PCIe 3.0 bus—your GPU and SSD connects straight to the CPU, which is why these run faster, but everything else is going to be sharing a limited resource.

So it's overall a slower and slightly lower end chip-set vs x570, in practice though id guess the differences would be undetectable in everyday use. There are passive x570 boards like the Aorus extreme though very pricey.

Soldato
No idea why there is any discussion going on here about X570 chipset fans, that was covered along time in the Ryzen 3xxx thread. Simple 'fact' is the chipset on the X570 is a 12nm I/O die taken from the Ryzen 3xxx range and bolted onto a board, of which when running under high demand can use a considerable number of watts, which in turn generates waste heat that requires either a small active HSF assembly, or a large passive heatsink to ensure correct operation 100% of the time, seat belts and airbags are not put in cars because you 'need' them every time you get in the car.

People who chose not to buy a board due to a chipset fan would mainly do it down to noise, rather than potential failure after many years, and the cost of replacement is in the low £'s range even if it did.

No one really cares who bought or didn't buy a board due to a fan, it's pointless, and so many people on here build one system (maybe a couple) every few years and are 'experts', and they take information from random articles, or people who they don't know or can't prove what is or isn't real then run with it as their narrative.

There are plenty of good X570 boards out there. Would I recommend them? Nope, is it because of the fan? Nope. Literally most folk will never need the features of the chipset, and a B450 does the job they need just fine, and could be replaced later down the line with a B650 (or whatever). Fair enough if you are building a 3950X, and want some breathing room for potential overclocking, or need the bandwidth offered by the PCI-E 4.0 bus for I/O, but most here just play games and compare FPS and why 230 is way superior to 219. It is the same people most of the time too, like broken records.

Soldato
No idea why there is any discussion going on here about X570 chipset fans, that was covered along time in the Ryzen 3xxx thread. Simple 'fact' is the chipset on the X570 is a 12nm I/O die taken from the Ryzen 3xxx range and bolted onto a board, of which when running under high demand can use a considerable number of watts, which in turn generates waste heat that requires either a small active HSF assembly, or a large passive heatsink to ensure correct operation 100% of the time, seat belts and airbags are not put in cars because you 'need' them every time you get in the car.

People who chose not to buy a board due to a chipset fan would mainly do it down to noise, rather than potential failure after many years, and the cost of replacement is in the low £'s range even if it did.

No one really cares who bought or didn't buy a board due to a fan, it's pointless, and so many people on here build one system (maybe a couple) every few years and are 'experts', and they take information from random articles, or people who they don't know or can't prove what is or isn't real then run with it as their narrative.

There are plenty of good X570 boards out there. Would I recommend them? Nope, is it because of the fan? Nope. Literally most folk will never need the features of the chipset, and a B450 does the job they need just fine, and could be replaced later down the line with a B650 (or whatever). Fair enough if you are building a 3950X, and want some breathing room for potential overclocking, or need the bandwidth offered by the PCI-E 4.0 bus for I/O, but most here just play games and compare FPS and why 230 is way superior to 219. It is the same people most of the time too, like broken records.

Spot on, I don't really need X570 right now. I mainly went for it to save me rebuilding for a good few years and I fancied a high end build for once. I would go B series probably next time now the itch has been scratched :) Gaming really just needs moderately priced motherboard, middle of the road RAM and CPU and the best GPU you can afford before diminishing returns kick in.

Soldato
Not too long to go now. Igors Lab says they've spotted zen 3 chips with B0 stepping, so it's not quite ready but they're saying mass production will begin in August for an October/November launch

Soldato
Are the x570's and b550's confirmed to support ryzen 4000 out of the box?

Forgive my ignorance
I assume my X570 will need a BIOS update to run a CPU that didn't exist when it was manufactured.

I assume "out of the box" support will depend on when the motherboard was put into said box.

Associate
I'm actually getting pretty excited about these new chips! Looks like 2020 will be a stand out year for PCs and gaming with some decent competition finally back.

Associate
Renoir APU's are getting 2166mhz on the FCLK.

Just 49ns latency with 4400mhz ram and this ain't even Zen 3 yet. Oh the benefits of a 7nm IMC.

Goodbye Intel, what gaming performance lead? GONE in 60 seconds

https://twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA/status/1277548646427357185/photo/1

Forgive my ignorance, but a quick Google shows that Renoir are Zen2 based. Is the FCLK so much faster because they're on a better TSMC process?

Can we definitely expect Zen3 FCLK to be at least as fast, or is there more to it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom