• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Amd should be in a better position as their process node is smaller.. I don't expect it to be more power-hungry than 3000 series

I expect AMD will be better too. Intel have the issue of pushing the process to it's limits.

I'm interested to see what else AMD can squeeze out of 7nm with 7nm+ an improved IO die and further architecture tweaking.

Soldato
"we didn't break it by a little, we broke it by a lot"
impressive CpuZ benchmark results
Ryzen 9 5950X 690 13306
Ryzen 7 5800X 650 6593
Core i9-10900K 584 7389
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-and-ryzen-9-5950x-cpu-z-scores-leaked
Nice, do you know if there are 5900X benchmark results? I couldnt find them if so

Should be a good improvement over my current 4790k (455 single core score, 2421 multi thread)

Edit, i found these but not sure if legit - https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/145873-amd-ryzen-9-5900x-cpu-z-bench-shows-impressive-1t-gains/

652 / 9481

Associate
Soldato
These are quite old. Don't think there are any newer, but you can extrapolate 5900X very easily. Take an average of 5800X and 5950X
So around 670 9900

Thanks. So quite an improvement over what I currently have1! ...

+45% single core performance
+300% multi core performance

Associate
I'm very interested to see what the respective power draws are. To be fair Intel do extremely well for 14nm but it's that heat output that's the real issue for me. Will a 10900K do 5.3GHz out of the box without custom water cooling?

Don't kid yourself that 5.3ghz all core is common for a 10900k. Average 10900Ks do 5ghz, some wont make 5ghz all core before voltage causes heat under stress to get too high and cause throttling or crashes on one or more cores. 5.3ghz is certainly a very good and rare 10900k (not the max, but anything beyond could be considered a statistical outlier). From what I remember Silicon lottery report only 1 in 5 10900k's will pass their 5.1ghz all core grading and they don't sell anything guaranteed higher than that.

Soldato
Don't kid yourself that 5.3ghz all core is common for a 10900k. Average 10900Ks do 5ghz, some wont make 5ghz all core before voltage causes heat under stress to get too high and cause throttling or crashes on one or more cores. 5.3ghz is certainly a very good and rare 10900k (not the max, but anything beyond could be considered a statistical outlier). From what I remember Silicon lottery report only 1 in 5 10900k's will pass their 5.1ghz all core grading and they don't sell anything guaranteed higher than that.

Trust me I don't :) I like to get real world figures, as all too often the best case is quoted, especially for high end hardware. I think a realistic comparison is what the average user could obtain. It send to me that's currently easier to get with AMD, just let it do its thing, than overclocking Intel chips.

I can see the attraction of Intel if you're a hardcore overclocker and love to tinker and optimise and can put a fair bit of cash into it. After all it's a hobby. But for the more mainstream fire and forget types, I think you'll get closer to the potential of your chip with AMD. I'm probably also getting older and lazier too ;)

Caporegime
My local e-store now have pages up but don't list any price and aren't doing any pre-sales... you can only order from 5th November. Calendar reminder has been set and I hope I can get an order in of the initial 5900x stock when I wake up. I hope there will be no price-gouging going on... :o

Soldato
My local e-store now have pages up but don't list any price and aren't doing any pre-sales... you can only order from 5th November. Calendar reminder has been set and I hope I can get an order in of the initial 5900x stock when I wake up. I hope there will be no price-gouging going on... :o

You really do live in Utopia :D

Caporegime
Trust me I don't :) I like to get real world figures, as all too often the best case is quoted, especially for high end hardware. I think a realistic comparison is what the average user could obtain. It send to me that's currently easier to get with AMD, just let it do its thing, than overclocking Intel chips.

I can see the attraction of Intel if you're a hardcore overclocker and love to tinker and optimise and can put a fair bit of cash into it. After all it's a hobby. But for the more mainstream fire and forget types, I think you'll get closer to the potential of your chip with AMD. I'm probably also getting older and lazier too ;)
Spot on.

Associate

AMD built the fastest processor in human history.
and current line up outsells Intels cpus..... its not even a contest with the previous Ryzen and now its basically murder with upcoming zen3

Soldato
current line up outsells Intels cpus....

No. They don’t. They outsell Intel in the enthusiast space which is some niche that people seem to think is important meanwhile intel have around 80pc of the entire desktop CPU market.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m waiting for the 5th like everyone else but let’s not kid ourselves. Intel is far from done and they certainly lost more sales due to Apple going Arm than the enthusiasts going AMD...

Caporegime
No. They don’t. They outsell Intel in the enthusiast space which is some niche that people seem to think is important meanwhile intel have around 80pc of the entire desktop CPU market.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m waiting for the 5th like everyone else but let’s not kid ourselves. Intel is far from done and they certainly lost more sales due to Apple going Arm than the enthusiasts going AMD...

Actually its Data Centre where Intel lost, and AMD gained.

Yes Intel still have by far the lions share, but their operating costs are also massively higher than AMD's, Intel are borrowing money every quarter with a huge and growing long term debt, AMD are basically all but debt free and putting money aside every quarter.

AMD are eating more and more of Intel's lunch and Intel are having to borrow to make up for it.

Soldato
Sorry if this has been asked before but is it safe to get a X570 board now for the foreseeable or are X670's on the horizon?

Some leaks suggested X670 at the end of the year but I'm 90% sure it's fake news.

B550 and X570 will be the prefered platform for the new processors. Personally I'd go for B550 because they have excellent VRM's and no fan (unless you specifically need the extra PCIe lanes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom