• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Absolutely no clue what's going on with my 5950X on the desktop on the Balance, and Performance plans. CPU is idle, but temps in 70's and voltage at 1.44v.

Reinstalled the latest chipset drivers, and got the latest BIOS for my x570 Strix F.
Seems, only the Power Saver plan actually lets the CPU idle normally.

Soldato
Did nothing, CPU idling at 71, voltage at 1.43v with Balance set like that also. The cores are boosting like under load.

If I use Power Saver, it instantly lowers voltage to 0.9v and the cores actually idle, and temps are 37 degrees

Power saver has its own issues though Sono wouldn't use it, your cores are idling well below the cpus minimum clock speed. Have you tried loading optimized default settings in the bios? What about a fresh copy of windows? And make sure there is no apps in windows eating cpu cycles

Soldato
Power saver has its own issues though Sono wouldn't use it, your cores are idling well below the cpus minimum clock speed. Have you tried loading optimized default settings in the bios? What about a fresh copy of windows? And make sure there is no apps in windows eating cpu cycles

I found the culprit! You were right about a background app. iCloud for Windows. I need it for work, and projects, but it seems it's the one making Windows stick the cores to 1.44v, and really high boosted temps. Despite iCloud only using 5% CPU, and idling on 5950X

The second I kill the app process in task manager, my CPU voltage drops to 0.9 -1.07m and idle temps are now 32 degrees.
If I have it running in the back, the voltage on all cores sticks to 1.44v, and temps idle at 76 eventually.

Decided to download all my current active project work to my secondary NVMe, which was the original plan; and then killing the process until I need to sync, and update the projects.

Caporegime
So annoying how the UK and Europe are getting good stock of the 5900x now but my area still has no delivery dates. We do now have 5800x and 5950x though. I guess January will be when they start to flood in everywhere...

Associate
Was so hoping to get my 5900x before christmas but had am email from Bolton yesterday the 211 they were expecting in are not coming until the 30th now but I suppose I should be happy I know I will get one No 90 in the queue

Caporegime
Was so hoping to get my 5900x before christmas but had am email from Bolton yesterday the 211 they were expecting in are not coming until the 30th now but I suppose I should be happy I know I will get one No 90 in the queue
My local stores have no queueing system and terrible ETA predictions... it sucks. Luckily they have an option to order "with a payment slip" which means that you only actually pay when you get the order along with a payment slip on the box. Takes the sting out of pre-ordering.

Permabanned
Some new performance figures:

"The AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU was tested on a standard test platform that was equipped with 32 GB of DDR4-3200 MHz memory. The CPU scored 1520 points in single-core & 9325 points in the multi-core tests. For comparison, the Ryzen 9 4900HS, which is its predecessor, scores 1092 points in the single-core and 7040 points in the multi-core tests. This represents a 39% lead in single-core and 1 32% lead in multi-core tests which is just insane when transitioning to a new generation in less than a year's time frame.

Even compared to something like the Intel Core i9-10900 which is a 65W & 10 core desktop CPU with a maximum power limit of around 220W, the 35 (45W cTDP) AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU offers the same level of multi-core performance and blazes past the Core i9-10900 within single-core tests thanks to the massive IPC uplift the Zen 3 has to offer."

AMD Ryzen 9 5900H 8 Core Cezanne-H 'Zen 3' Mobility CPU Benchmarks Leak Out, Almost As Fast As Intel's 10 Core Desktop CPUs (wccftech.com)

Caporegime
Ugh my local store has so many 5800's in stock for 415EUR (£375) and they have actually been consistently in stock for 2 weeks... that means they must be selling way slower than the 5600x or especially the 5900x, which is like rocking horse poo at the moment. I really hope stock of the 5900x comes in the first half of January along with the 3080 I ordered.

How are all you guys enjoying your Zen3's? :p

Stu

Stu

Soldato
5800x in stock for RRP here in UK, but still a shortage of 5900x. I'm still around 400 in a queue, but I know it will arrive; which is better than checking Twitter every three minutes chasing 3080 ghosts... I don't have the appetite to hunt for a cpu too!

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm debating upgrading my 2700X to a 5600X since my 3080 is being held back pretty badly in stuff like MSFS2020, but also in CP2077 and other games where my gpu usage is dropping to like 50% while it waits on the CPU.

From benchmarks, it looks like overall multicore performance is a minor upgrade, but that single threaded performance is a significant boost. It niggles me a bit losing cores, but at the end of the day my main purpose is gaming. I figure I can get £110-£150 for my 2700X so it's not a huge chunk of change to upgrade to 5600X, whereas the 5700X is a hefty price tag.

Worthwhile upgrade or sidegrade? Anyone else made the leap?

Permabanned
Hey guys, I'm debating upgrading my 2700X to a 5600X since my 3080 is being held back pretty badly in stuff like MSFS2020, but also in CP2077 and other games where my gpu usage is dropping to like 50% while it waits on the CPU.

From benchmarks, it looks like overall multicore performance is a minor upgrade, but that single threaded performance is a significant boost. It niggles me a bit losing cores, but at the end of the day my main purpose is gaming. I figure I can get £110-£150 for my 2700X so it's not a huge chunk of change to upgrade to 5600X, whereas the 5700X is a hefty price tag.

10 FPS more:

The game scales very well with faster processors:

Even at 2160p Ultra HD, it needs something faster than the 6-core Ryzen 5 2600X where it loses quite considerable amount of framerate:

Cyberpunk 2077 CPU Scaling, What Processors Work Best? | Tom's Hardware

Caporegime

Massive upgrade for gaming and multicore performance is also better with less cores in the majority of applications. Just do it.

PS: You can of course easily google benchmarks for 'AMD 5600x vs 2700x'...

Soldato

If you game at under 4K then it should be a decent upgrade.

Soldato
Thanks all, I game at 1440p 144hz so yeah I was hoping it would be, but I don't tend to upgrade often so wasn't sure if it'd be a "meh" upgrade or not. I couldn't find anything comparing the two on FSX, so if anyone sees a benchmark that covers both, let me know!

Caporegime
Thanks all, I game at 1440p 144hz so yeah I was hoping it would be, but I don't tend to upgrade often so wasn't sure if it'd be a "meh" upgrade or not. I couldn't find anything comparing the two on FSX, so if anyone sees a benchmark that covers both, let me know!
2700x would perform more similar to a stock 3600, so just compare a 3600 and a 5600x as a rough guide. If you don't upgrade often then wait for the lower cost 8 core Zen3's (5700) coming at some point in Q1 or so (no specifics confirmed yet but we know they are coming).

Soldato
2700x would perform more similar to a stock 3600, so just compare a 3600 and a 5600x as a rough guide. If you don't upgrade often then wait for the lower cost 8 core Zen3's (5700) coming at some point in Q1 or so (no specifics confirmed yet but we know they are coming).
Cool, thanks, thought we'd had the lot for the series and they were just going with 5xxxX chips. It's really the single core performance I'm missing. It's rare that anything maxes out all 16 threads on my cpu (barring handbrake), but there are plenty of games that'll push a few cores and get limited by them. My x470 board just got the agesa update for zen3 and it just got me thinking. Will do some more benchmark digging!

Caporegime
The only problem with waiting for a 5700 (which I am doing) is that the initial rumours have it as a £375/$399 product.

That's about £100 dearer than you could get a 3700X for, even outside of promotions. And that would be a $70 increase in the RRP gen-on-gen - more than the increase the rest have had.

It would make sense since the 3700X was one of the best-selling chips of last gen, and probably took a lot of sales away from higher tier parts. By giving it the highest price increase they keep people interested in the 3800X and the 3900X.

They aint giving nothing away this gen. Got to pay the AMD premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom