• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) already in the works

Soldato
I'm actually reconsidering buying a Ryzen 3000 in June now, unless there is a very noticeable performance increase over my current 2700x then I may just hold out for a year.

hold out, should be like 2*** was to 1*** series . question is though. AM4 is DDR4 and 2020 is Ryzen 4000/Zen3 and DDR5 release...

Soldato
DDR5 isn't coming to mainstream users any time soon. What it does is when AMD will change socket (so post 2020).

Not worth waiting for DDR5 either. It will take a couple of years to catch up with DDR4 speeds. PCIe 4.0 is more interesting from a longevity point of view to me. I upgrade infrequently, so fast DDR4 and an excess of PCIe bandwidth should keep me going for quite a few GPU cycles.

Soldato
OP
Not worth waiting for DDR5 either. It will take a couple of years to catch up with DDR4 speeds. PCIe 4.0 is more interesting from a longevity point of view to me. I upgrade infrequently, so fast DDR4 and an excess of PCIe bandwidth should keep me going for quite a few GPU cycles.

Yes I agree, I think the socket change and DDR5 support will come with Zen 4 Ryzen 5, but I did read a rumour quite some time ago that with one of the Zen's, they were taking about releasing 2 versions, one to support DDR4 and the other to support DDR5, AMD after all did also say they would support the AM4 socket all the way upto 2020, so Zen 3 really should be the last one before the change over, however, I think DDR4 will still be mainsteam next year whilst DDR5 catches up.

AMD have done it before where boards supported 2 different RAM types, 2 slots for DDR2 and 2 slots for DDR3 I think it was.

Associate
Yes I agree, I think the socket change and DDR5 support will come with Zen 4 Ryzen 5, but I did read a rumour quite some time ago that with one of the Zen's, they were taking about releasing 2 versions, one to support DDR4 and the other to support DDR5, AMD after all did also say they would support the AM4 socket all the way upto 2020, so Zen 3 really should be the last one before the change over, however, I think DDR4 will still be mainsteam next year whilst DDR5 catches up.

AMD have done it before where boards supported 2 different RAM types, 2 slots for DDR2 and 2 slots for DDR3 I think it was.

Will be likely just one version as previous IMC on CPUs have had the ability to support different Memory Sub systems such as DDR3L / DDR4 and DDR2 / DDR3

Soldato
Emmm... It's not "Zen 3" if its 7nm+ is it. Is just Zen 2 gen 2.
As the headline is all wrong I'll not apply much gravitas to the article.

If it's a refresh yeah, the Zen2+ would make more sense.
If it's more of an architecture change like Zen2 is to Zen and Zen+ then calling it Zen3 would be fair enough.

I don't think it's all about the process node. I imagine we'll be on different iterations of 7nm for a few years.

Soldato
DDR5 won't come with Ryzen 4000, Ryzen 4000 will still be AM4 socket.

The question is if AMD will support DDR5, ever.

its was highlighting no matter what companies say, longevity of their platform is outdated with technology groups pushing the boundaries.

AMD will adapt DDR5 as data centers will unless memory manufactures and push their own tech to speed up data handling like intel x-memory etc

plus it allows greater amount of ram per dimm instead of heaving to do double decker ram modules currently out for 2 Dimm slot boards

Permabanned
the 20% transistor increase for 10% less power is... interesting. That sets a reasonable "tone" for what to expect.

Does anyone have more details about what to expect from next-year's Zen 3 besides 20-30% transistor bump?
4-way SMT? Larger GameCaches?

2iw0yv9.jpg

Associate
If it's starting volume production surely it can't take a year to release. Will they spend a year filling warehouses with CPUs? Seems a bit odd to me.

Permabanned
Back
Top Bottom