• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's fake prices, Nvidia and AMD want to stop publishing MSRP

Associate
So Nvidia's fake MSRP is legendary but its AMD's fault/problem/cause?

Ok.
Well, now that the infamous
"I want AMD to compete at the top of the GPU market [so I can buy an Nvidia cards cheaper]"
excuse is no longer true, it now has to be AMD's fault that they are copying Nvidia's methods (didn't they hire some former Nvidia marketeers a few years ago?).

So the new excuse is:
"I want to have set and supply cheaper prices [so I can buy an Nvidia cards cheaper]"

Still cannot see what's in it for AMD?

Soldato
Well, now that the infamous
"I want AMD to compete at the top of the GPU market [so I can buy an Nvidia cards cheaper]"
excuse is no longer true, it now has to be AMD's fault that they are copying Nvidia's methods (didn't they hire some former Nvidia marketeers a few years ago?).

AMD sent a ton of its wafer supply to consoles,so is using DIY sales of CPUs and dGPUs,etc to push up the margins to look better overall. It's not like what AMD now is any cheaper or better value than anything Intel or Nvidia have,but consumers have spoken. The same people bought Intel and Nvidia at any price too,so sent a nice message 10 years ago.

In the end I feel they care more about supplying CPUs,GPUs and SOCs to their partners than the DIY market. So ironically if you want good value with AMD its better to buy a console,or something like laptop or desktop.

The reality is cheap credit and the fact that dorks are increasingly apeing the stereotypes of not being able to control their spending, means DIY self building has gone from the value aspect to increasingly more and more expensive. I don't see the removal of RRPs in any other hobby I have an interest in,and no indication they are going away.

It shows you how weak willed gamers and PCMR are in general and you see it in the frankly **** AAA PC games out there,which do things worse than games a decade ago,and all the pay to win mechanics.

The level of respect AMD/Intel/Nvidia have for PCMR is zero - basically that we are spineless,gormless,desperate consumers who will buy anything which comes out of their arse cheeks. This is what PCMR used to mock Apple fans with. Not even Apple fans get treated this badly. Apple fans can now point and laugh at PCMR fans. The irony!

I think at this rate,I will just get a prebuilt laptop and console in a few years.

Last edited:
Associate
Really the title should be

"Youtubers bait and fake/misleading stories"

OCUK did announce at the time they had ensured that cards would be made available at msrp, by AMD/AIB's doing some promo to retailers. It was no secret. And a heads up that maintaining msrp would not be likely for the foreseeable future.
£179.99 is a promotional MSRP for a limited volume of cards price supported by AMD/Board partners, BE QUICK!
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-price-supported-stock-now-sold-out.18946054/

The truth is that low end cards = less profit and less margin for AIB's retailers & manufacturers. Over the last couple of years AIB's have come accustomed to $100's of mark-up per card. As virtually no lower end cards have been available at all, they have forgotten / not wanting to go back to the old higher volume lower profit per unit. Everyone knows cards are scarce, and raising the prices still = sales. Distribution costs have gone up, so those traditional margins are yet squeezed more. Basically it's human nature and good business sense for everyone in the chain to want to make a little bit more when demand is high and supply is short. Sucks for us consumers. Conversely it's great that manufactures are aware of what's going on and do at times try to ensure products are available at more sane prices, even if it's not sustainable long term.

Ocuk's store as of today. 2 items at near msrp. I believe they were max £20 cheaper a month ago.
yX1H0aE.png

The real story maybe should be
"Graphics cards cartels - isn't this illegal ?"
Without mentioning names here due to obvious issues.
I recently had an order cancelled by a very well known online uk shop (not ocuk) for a nvidia card that had been on order for while.
During discussions with the staff member I know and trust, it was explained to me that the uk distributor had contacted the shop and would not permit them to sell at the lower price than other online competitors (still above msrp). They were being forced to raise the price. So I could still have the card if I paid £100+ more. The price had not actually gone up, just the UK distributor price fixing at well over msrp. I don't believe it to be nvidia directly, however the middlemen between that are responsible. Maybe this goes on far more than we are aware of.

A completely inverse situation to the video posted/thread topic where infact everyone in the chain is doing a good thing, being open and co-operating to ensure prices are fair, which is somehow made out to be a bad thing ?

Soldato
The same guy moaned at Nvidia for the same thing and everyone agreed. That was his first video on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjnikR-r1c

He is pointing out AMD is joining Nvidia in doing the same thing and he said Nvidia is doing a worse thing.

The reality some of you need to get out of this whole AMD/Intel/Nvidia thing - they are all the same in the end.

People on this same forum excuse made for Nvidia during the Kepler times for the £1000 Titan dGPUs because "fab costs were now higher". Why? Because some "report" was leaked from Nvidia complaining about "high" TSMC prices. Nvidia's rise started from that moment,they knew they could double dGPU prices and PCMR would accept it.

The reality,is that everyone from shipping companies,TSMC,AMD,Nvidia,etc are all using pandemic excuses to increase profits. These companies are all making record margins. Don't believe me look at their financials. Just like war profiteers they are using the pandemic to just excuse make to jack pricing up. The PCMR is making itself poorer in the process.

It's the shops and consumers who are taking the brunt of all of this. If the prices suddenly swing downwards even a few percent the shops get screwed over as they have had to buy stock at higher prices,but everyone from the distributors downwards has made their money and run away like bandits.

People will look back at this time in a few years and think how stupid they were when all the 100s of billions of USD of pandemic profiteering comes to light.

Stop being so weaked willed and saying "I must pay XYZ" because of "XYZ reasons".

It's one thing I agree with from Tom's video - it's about time people in our hobby just sat down and asked whether you NEED to be spending £100s or £1000s all the time to play the "same games" or whether something like a console....or just sticking with what you have makes more sense.

Last edited:
Associate
The real story maybe should be
"Graphics cards cartels - isn't this illegal ?"
Without mentioning names here due to obvious issues.
I recently had an order cancelled by a very well known online uk shop (not ocuk) for a nvidia card that had been on order for while.
During discussions with the staff member I know and trust, it was explained to me that the uk distributor had contacted the shop and would not permit them to sell at the lower price than other online competitors (still above msrp). They were being forced to raise the price.

That would be highly illegal as well

Soldato
The same guy moaned at Nvidia for the same thing and everyone agreed. That was his first video on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjnikR-r1c

He is pointing out AMD is joining Nvidia in doing the same thing and he said Nvidia is doing a worse thing.
The guy is a bit of an arrogant clown IMO. I would not be surprised if he owns stock/shares in AMD. Always came across as more of an AMD fanboy to me, but just my opinion.

Caporegime
Remember the vega launch where there was drama that x amount of cards were discounted by amd and once they sold out the price went up? Even youtube reviewers were unaware of this until after their reviews went live.

Gpu launches have been embarrassing for years. Comes launch day and there's either barely any stock and they're gouged to buggery, or there's conveniently plenty of stock of the higher prices cards and none of the cheaper variants. And when the cheaper versions finally do land they go up in price for "reasons".

Soldato
The reality,is that everyone from shipping companies,TSMC,AMD,Nvidia,etc are all using pandemic excuses to increase profits. These companies are all making record margins. Don't believe me look at their financials. Just like war profiteers they are using the pandemic to just excuse make to jack pricing up. The PCMR is making itself poorer in the process.

It's the shops and consumers who are taking the brunt of all of this. If the prices suddenly swing downwards even a few percent the shops get screwed over as they have had to buy stock at higher prices,but everyone from the distributors downwards has made their money and run away like bandits.

Agree totally, its not just AMD or Nvidia its the whole supply chain upto the (and sometimes including) the stores. You could however say Nvidia/AIB's pre-empted all this by charging £1200+ for the 2080ti, which sold very well. They already had a working template.

Soldato
Agree totally, its not just AMD or Nvidia its the whole supply chain upto the (and sometimes including) the stores. You could however say Nvidia/AIB's pre-empted all this by charging £1200+ for the 2080ti, which sold very well. They already had a working template.

Agreed that Nvidia totally started all this firstly with the Geforce Titan,and then with Turing and it sadly worked! :(

Soldato
If AMD give a kick back to the AIB to reduce the price of a card (and therefore eating into their own profit).

How exactly is that a fake price?

It's fake if all the initial news & announcements show one price which in reality is only a day-1 thing and the rest of its life it's only ever above that, because it tries to portray the item as having better value than it does. It's definitely a scummy marketing practice.

Soldato
People forgot the Vega series had the same practice.

I got mine under a year from launch for £450 with 3 games. Is also the top model Red Devil card. Wish that was the case these days. A year on from launch and paying more seems like a great deal. I wanted to upgrade but no chance I am ripping myself off. Got a ps5 at launch for RRP and in about every way it's more powerful than my PC :D:D

Soldato
I got mine under a year from launch for £450 with 3 games. Is also the top model Red Devil card. Wish that was the case these days. A year on from launch and paying more seems like a great deal. I wanted to upgrade but no chance I am ripping myself off. Got a ps5 at launch for RRP and in about every way it's more powerful than my PC :D:D

The launch prices were AMD supported,especially with the Vega64. But once the launch stock ended prices went up. The issue instead of being a one off now,it seems Nvidia/AMD are using pandemic excuses to jack pricing up! :(

Back
Top Bottom