• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's fake prices, Nvidia and AMD want to stop publishing MSRP

Soldato
The launch prices were AMD supported,especially with the Vega64. But once the launch stock ended prices went up. The issue instead of being a one off now,it seems Nvidia/AMD are using pandemic excuses to jack pricing up! :(

Yea what I was saying is they eventually came down to where the card was a good buy. Now the prices go up over time because of what you said. I barely ever buy at launch if I cant get rrp so wait until i get the price i feel the product is worth. Atm it's a long way off and i doubt they will ever reach what i feel is worth it. Next gen this year so wouldnt buy now any how. Vega 64 is starting to show its age a little at 1440p so i am going to have to buy at some point.

Caporegime
Its all learned behaviour..... it works for Nvidia, no one other than MLID calls them out on it.

Every time Nvidia put out a card with a fake MSRP Tech Journalists lavish them with praise.

AMD put out the RX 6600 for $329 and everyone screams at them for how overpriced it is, then again with a $200 GPU that should have been $150.

Well the RTX 3050 now starts at £360 and the RX 6600 (A GPU equivalent to the £500 RTX 3060) is on sale right now right here for £400, but everyone is buying the RTX 3050, Brilliant.

AMD prices have been far more honest than Nvidia, and that's the problem!

No wonder AMD always ends up, for good or bad, following Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn’t this always happen? I seem to recall the RTX 2XXX series were considerably cheaper for the first few launch units and then the price went up from there and never came back down.

Soldato
Yea what I was saying is they eventually came down to where the card was a good buy. Now the prices go up over time because of what you said. I barely ever buy at launch if I cant get rrp so wait until i get the price i feel the product is worth. Atm it's a long way off and i doubt they will ever reach what i feel is worth it. Next gen this year so wouldnt buy now any how. Vega 64 is starting to show its age a little at 1440p so i am going to have to buy at some point.

I also evaluate if the RRP is OK for the given performance improvement generation to generation. If it isn't the case,even if the GPU is at RRP,I won't bother. An example in point is Turing MK1!

Caporegime
The last GPU i bought that i thought was fairly priced was the GTX 970, it was £270 for a Gigbyte Windforce X3.
My GTX 1070 was £350 (MSI Gaming X)
My RTX 2070 Super was £450 (MSI Gaming X) this before the latest Crypto crap.

3 Generations of Nvidia 70 class cards, nearly a 70% price hike.

G J

G J

Associate
Doesn’t this always happen? I seem to recall the RTX 2XXX series were considerably cheaper for the first few launch units and then the price went up from there and never came back down.

Its been like this for years, you get the few people who bawk at the pricing and smugly post something along the lines oh I'll wait for the pricing to go down and I'm sitting there thinking thats not how it works. 6+ months later and the pricing is still higher.

This drives people into a frenzy trying to buy it FOMO etc.. and its what they want people to do. It works great on ebay something for say £200 buy it now and people will get into a bidding war and pay over £200 for the same item. :confused:

I like how MLID had to state that nvidia does it worse about 3 times, did not want a angry mob on him :D

Last edited:
Soldato
In order to avoid fake pricing, Nvidia would have needed to give the 3070 a higher MSRP than the 3080. I dont see how that would make more sense. The 3070 needed a fake price in order for it to be lower than the 3080.

Caporegime
If AMD give a kick back to the AIB to reduce the price of a card (and therefore eating into their own profit).

How exactly is that a fake price?

Now that's really interesting, if these cards can really be profitable at $200 and some would argue $150 then why are AMD giving AIB's rebates to keep at least some for some time at the MSRP?

Sapphire 6500XT 10+ in stock as i write this for £199.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Sapp...DDR6-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card-GX-39S-SP.html

Hows those $250 RTX 3050's doing then? Here's the cheapest one with a junk cooler for....... £360

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-rtx-3050-aero-itx-lhr-8192mb-gddr6-pci-expressgraphics-card-gx-388-ms.html

Why do we keep doing this to ourselves?

Caporegime
Now that's really interesting, if these cards can really be profitable at $200 and some would argue $150 then why are AMD giving AIB's rebates to keep at least some for some time at the MSRP?

Sapphire 6500XT 10+ in stock as i write this for £199.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Sapp...DDR6-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card-GX-39S-SP.html

Hows those $250 RTX 3050's doing then? Here's the cheapest one with a junk cooler for....... £360

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-rtx-3050-aero-itx-lhr-8192mb-gddr6-pci-expressgraphics-card-gx-388-ms.html

Why do we keep doing this to ourselves?

https://youtu.be/AlUc-PV3cwM?t=5141

And no one took it....

The RTX 3050 cannot be made profitable for $250, which is why its not $250. its $400+.
The RX 6500 cannot be made profitable for $200, which is why AMD are subsidizing ABI's to make sure at least some are close to $200.

We are not in 2017 guys.

AMD bad.... FFS.

Last edited:
Soldato
The launch prices were AMD supported,especially with the Vega64. But once the launch stock ended prices went up. The issue instead of being a one off now,it seems Nvidia/AMD are using pandemic excuses to jack pricing up! :(
I vaguely recall Vega56/64 issue was that because they were such good cards at mining, it became short-supplied as not only gamers were after them but miners too.

The 10 series of the Nvidia cards were nowhere as good as mining, but they decided to jack up the pricing across-the-board from 1060 to all their cards upward, just because AMD cards were out-of-stock everywhere :p

Soldato
https://youtu.be/AlUc-PV3cwM?t=5141

And no one took it....

The RTX 3050 cannot be made profitable for $250, which is why its not $250. its $400+.
The RX 6500 cannot be made profitable for $200, which is why AMD are subsidizing ABI's to make sure at least some are close to $200.

We are not in 2017 guys.

AMD bad.... FFS.
I wouldn't believe all the rubbish that guy spits out, we know the ps5 is profitable @$500 and it has far more tech packed into a much more complex design that either of those Gpus.

Profitable for AMD and Nvidia simply means they won't pull 65% margins and they are unwilling to accept 40% to hit MSRPs.

Caporegime
I wouldn't believe all the rubbish that guy spits out, we know the ps5 is profitable @$500 and it has far more tech packed into a much more complex design that either of those Gpus.

Its $500, not $200.

If your SoC costs $55 and your Memory IC's $80 you can still make a profit with a bunch more components and shipping costs.
If your Chip Packaged costs $45 and your Memory IC's $40 you probably can't after you build your PCB, the cooling system and ship it when the end product is meant to land at your door for $200.
AMD sell AIB's the chip package, they buy the rest of the GPU's components and ship it, AMD are giving them money back so they can do it for $200 to you, its not AMD's fault or problem that AIB's can't do it, they are at least trying to resolve it at their own cost.

What Nvidia are doing is putting a few GPU on the market for a given MSRP to get the :) from tech jurnalsist and then ramping the price up when reviews are done.

Soldato
Its $500, not $200.

If your SoC costs $55 and your Memory IC's $80 you can still make a profit with a bunch more components and shipping costs.
If your Chip Packaged costs $45 and your Memory IC's $40 you probably can't after you build your PCB, the cooling system and ship it when the end product is meant to land at your door for $200.
AMD sell AIB's the chip package, they buy the rest of the GPU's components and ship it, AMD are giving them money back so they can do it for $200 to you, its not AMD's fault or problem that AIB's can't do it, they are at least trying to resolve it at their own cost.

What Nvidia are doing is putting a few GPU on the market for a given MSRP to get the :) from tech jurnalsist and then ramping the price up when reviews are done.
So what about about the 6700XT then that retails for $800 with a similar size die and 4gb VRAM less compared to a ps5 which also comes with the nvme drive, built in psu, 4x the size PCB a disk drive a large case which adds to materials and shipping costs and with a controller bundled in all for $300 less. And don't forget Sony are paying a mark up for those dies from AMD.

Caporegime
So what about about the 6700XT then that retails for $800 with a similar size die and 4gb VRAM less compared to a ps5 which also comes with the nvme disk drive build in psu, 4x the size PCB a disk drive a large case which adds to materials and shipping costs and with a controller bundled in all for $300 less. And don't forget Sony are paying a mark up for those dies from AMD.

The more expensive GPU's are a different kettle of fish, like with the PS5 they have a higher MSRP, even if component costs for a $500 product are 3X as much as those of a $200 product there is room for profit.

Back
Top Bottom