• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's Radeon VII Supports DirectML - An Alternative to DLSS?

Soldato
Expected tbh, AMD will just support a more open
approach. The fact this is tied directly into DirectX 12 is a plus for AMD they wont need to reliy on game makers to add into the games like DLSS.
You can also bet the money AMD is also working on DirectX Ray Tracing. But I dont think VEGA Vii will support this and we might be waiting for Navi.

AMD's Radeon VII Supports DirectML - An Alternative to DLSS?

In a recent interview with 4 Gamers (Source in Japanise), AMD's Adam Kozak confirmed that their upcoming Radeon VII graphics card would support DirectML, a Machine Learning (ML) extension to DirectX.

Think of DirectML as the Machine Learning equivalent of DXR (DirectX Raytracing), allowing DirectX 12 to support advanced features and utilise AI to improve future games.

An example of how AI can be seen in Nvidia's DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) technology, which uses a Deep Learning algorithm to boost game performance while offering a final image that can provide superior image quality to TAA (Temporal Anti Aliasing). In the past, Microsoft has showcased DirectML achieving similar feats, which means that there may soon be a multi-vendor alternative to Nvidia's DLSS technology.

DirectML supports all DirectX 12 compliant hardware, much like DXR, and like DXR it can also exploit the hardware acceleration capabilities of modern graphics architectures. In effect, this will allow developers to access hardware features like Nvidia's Tensor cores, just like how DXR enables developers to utilise Turing's RT cores. In the case of DirectML, the performance of AMD's Radeon VII could be used to deliver a "DLSS-like" effect, but using an approach that will work on Radeon hardware.

AMD's Adam Kozak stated that the (translated) "Radeon VII shows excellent results" when the company experimented with DirectML.

05101851670l.jpg

Microsoft has already showcased the potential of machine learning in gaming applications, with the image below showcasing what happens when Machine Learning is used to upscale an image to four times its original resolution (basically from 1080p to 4K) to generate a sharper final image and reduced aliasing. The image below is a comparison between ML Super Sampling and bilinear upsampling.

This technique has also been showcased during one of Microsoft's SIGGRAPH 2018 tech talks. This talk, which is entitled "Deep Learning for Real-Time Rendering: Accelerating GPU Inferencing with DirectML and DirectX 12" showcases Nvidia hardware upscaling Playground Games' Forza Horizon 3 from 1080p to 4K using DirectML in real time. DirectML has the potential to improve the graphical fidelity of future console and PC games.

We couldn’t write a graphics blog without calling out how DNNs can help improve the visual quality and performance of games. Take a close look at what happens when NVIDIA uses ML to up-sample this photo of a car by 4x. At first the images will look quite similar, but when you zoom in close, you’ll notice that the car on the right has some jagged edges, or aliasing, and the one using ML on the left is crisper. Models can learn to determine the best color for each pixel to benefit small images that are upscaled, or images that are zoomed in on. You may have had the experience when playing a game where objects look great from afar, but when you move close to a wall or hide behind a crate, things start to look a bit blocky or fuzzy – with ML we may see the end of those types of experiences.

twocars.png

05101851486l.png

With DXR and DirectML, it is clear that gaming will become more than just a game of pure shading performance. AMD, Nvidia and Intel will all need to develop hardware that is capable of handling inferencing, Ray Tracing and traditional shading, opening up a new hardware arms race that will transform gaming over time.

With the Radeon VII being DirectML compliant, AMD has taken a step into the world of AI in gaming, giving them the opportunity to develop an alternative to Nvidia's DLSS technology, one which as the potential to impact users outside of the Nvidia GPU ecosystem. If successful, an AMD-powered AI upsampling has a lot of potential for use within both next-generation games consoles and PCs users alike.

DirectML support is coming to Windows 10 as part of its Spring 2019 update. Expect to hear more about DirectML at GDC 2019.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp..._supports_directml_-_an_alternative_to_dlss/1

Gameplay shown at 16:05
http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/si...-gpu-inferencing-directml-and-directx-12.html

• Supported on all DX12-compatible hardware
• Examples:
• NVIDIA Kepler and above
• AMD Radeon 7000-series and above
• Intel Haswell (4th-gen core) and above

• If no GPU is available, fall back to CPU

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Adam Kozak of AMD talking to 4Gamer.net

Last year's GDC 2018, Microsoft announced a framework "Windows ML" for Windows 10 platform, and "DirectML" that makes it available from DirectX (October 2018 Update of 10) (related article We are currently experimenting with the evaluation version of SDK of DirectML, but Radeon VII shows excellent results in that experiment.

By the way, Radeon VII scored about 1.62 times the "GeForce RTX 2080" in "Luxmark" which utilizes OpenCL-based GPGPU-like ray tracing renderer. Based on these facts, I think NVIDIA's DLSS-like thing can be done with the GPGPU-like approach for our GPU.

Soldato
OP
Can't wait to play all 4 games supporting it before it disappears into obscurity.

I think they is more chance devs using Microsoft own in house tech than Nvidia DLSS.

DirectX 12 vs Vulkan at the moment speaks for itself. Even though everyone knows Vulkan is the clear winning yet still devs keep on using DirectX 12

Both AMD and Nvidia can use it!!

That is key here!

Soldato
Won't this have a insane performance hit anyway? Unlike the RTX series with it's AI cores doing upscale this is still going to use standard hardware to do it? It also sounds like dev time to add this and well DLSS is going great /s

Caporegime
Its not doing bad either. Loads of games have released with DX12 over the last year. While some have been poorly done BF5 am looking at you, others have been excellent. FORZA, Strange brigade, Tomb Raider, the Division just to name some.

I couldn't full screen the Divison 2 with DX12, and I wasn't alone in that.

Rise of the tomb raider was an unstable mess with DX12 for me.

Soldato
OP
I couldn't full screen the Divison 2 with DX12, and I wasn't alone in that.

Rise of the tomb raider was an unstable mess with DX12 for me.

Didn't play much of the Division 1 DX12 but I know from reports and benchmarks its a great. Did Rise of the tomb raider have DX12? I thought DX12 come with Shadow of the tomb raider? Anyway i put 41 Hours into Shadow of the tomb raider and 31 hours into Rise not a "SINGLE" crash on my system.

100% done everything, really enjoyed it.

edit
I remember now DX12 for Rise was patched in it wasn't very good on Rise I played with DX11. Shadow of the tomb raider on the other hand was excellent showcase for DX12
259D410E4591834EACCA1D6DA149B6D346EFCB3B

Soldato
See this makes me want to side with AMD.

I am more excited about supporting companies that use this open standards than the proprietary ones... and yet.... I seem to be an Nvidia fan boi.

At the moment I am choosing with my head than my heart. The 1080 made more sense to me than the Vega 64 at the time. Plus I viewed Gsync and better than FreeSync.

But open standards? Hell yea!

Soldato
Won't this have a insane performance hit anyway? Unlike the RTX series with it's AI cores doing upscale this is still going to use standard hardware to do it? It also sounds like dev time to add this and well DLSS is going great /s
Watch the video. It was running on a non-Turing gpu, performance hit seemed acceptable

Caporegime
See this makes me want to side with AMD.

I am more excited about supporting companies that use this open standards than the proprietary ones... and yet.... I seem to be an Nvidia fan boi.

At the moment I am choosing with my head than my heart. The 1080 made more sense to me than the Vega 64 at the time. Plus I viewed Gsync and better than FreeSync.

But open standards? Hell yea!

ehh, Nvidia supports DirectML as well, in fact they worked closely with Microsft to help define the specification and ensure the API is generalizable enough to benefit form dedicated acceleration hardware like Nvidia's TensorCores

Secodnly, DirectML is not an open standard, just like DirectX is not an open standard. It is am industry standard controlled by Microsoft.

Back
Top Bottom