AMG GT-R

Man of Honour
OP
720 is my preferred route, 570S second I think. For me the 720 needs to drop some more in price to make it sensible. I think I’d take a 997.2 GT3 RS over a 991.1 GT3 RS actually. Just something about the last of the old engined GT3’s and nowhere near as many out there so should protect their price. They are already moving ahead price wise based on what I’m seeing.

Man of Honour
OP
Just the wheels and the sound is the only downer for me on this though @Housey if you give a damn about my opinion :D

It looks like a an absolute brute of a car, comes across a little "yobbo" but I love it. I can imagine track days would be quite a different experience to the R8! The temptation to just go sideways everywhere with a grin on your face :D
Off to the Ring in June so working on getting something new for that trip. Love the R8 and foibles and Audi dealers aside it’s going to take some beating.

OcUK Staff
Just the wheels and the sound is the only downer for me on this though @Housey if you give a damn about my opinion :D

It looks like a an absolute brute of a car, comes across a little "yobbo" but I love it. I can imagine track days would be quite a different experience to the R8! The temptation to just go sideways everywhere with a grin on your face :D

I’d say the GTR is the better track car but not as good road car.

R8 and Huracan are superb road cars and also very good on track too if understeery at limits but does make them easy to push.

The LP580-2 was easy to push on track as the understeer at limit gives you confidence to push.

Man of Honour
OP
The front end of the R8 is surprisingly good for an Audi. It doesn’t suffer anything like other RS Audi’s and is much more sorted on track. It is however a brute so can cook its brake fluid if, like I am, your hard on brakes. Whilst understeer is there it’s well masked.

OcUK Staff
The front end of the R8 is surprisingly good for an Audi. It doesn’t suffer anything like other RS Audi’s and is much more sorted on track. It is however a brute so can cook its brake fluid if, like I am, your hard on brakes. Whilst understeer is there it’s well masked.

I was finding understeer in the 580-2 but it for sure had dynamic steering also and magnetic dampers I think.

I know on the Huracan they say avoid dynamic steering at all cost and to avoid magnetic dampers on 610-4 due to bad understeer.

The 580-2 had it on track but was manageable and I went quicker in it than I did GT3 but the GT3 felt more direct and more hooked up. But in fairness I was not going for timed laps but messing with the dynamic of the cars.

The GT3 was better drive but the Huracan had some special factor too it. On the road I suspect the understeer would not show itself.

Associate
I had a go in one of these at MB world Brooklands.

How anyone cannot be impressed by the noise they make beats me. I got there early and watched the instructors warming up the cars around the track and the GTR sounded epic. The pops and bangs on the overrun braking for a corner were very impressive. I don't know how AMG managed to make it road legal. I did several laps with an instructor and was allowed to go as fast as I wanted. I also got to try the launch control and do an emergency stop. Compared to the 650S I had at the time, it didn't feel that quick. What put me off was the rear axle tramp when putting down the power accelerating hard out of a corner.

I was more impressed with the R8 V10+ that I tried the next day and ended up buying.

Man of Honour
OP
Did you get a chance to test out the Burmester system in it? If so, any good?
No I turned the radio off as soon as I got in. I would imagine it's very good.

I had a go in one of these at MB world Brooklands.

How anyone cannot be impressed by the noise they make beats me. I got there early and watched the instructors warming up the cars around the track and the GTR sounded epic. The pops and bangs on the overrun braking for a corner were very impressive. I don't know how AMG managed to make it road legal. I did several laps with an instructor and was allowed to go as fast as I wanted. I also got to try the launch control and do an emergency stop. Compared to the 650S I had at the time, it didn't feel that quick. What put me off was the rear axle tramp when putting down the power accelerating hard out of a corner.

I was more impressed with the R8 V10+ that I tried the next day and ended up buying.
Well I was comparing to my V10+ and performance wise it seemed much the same, maybe a touch quicker but hard to tell. I would imagine a 650S is quicker as I know the 12C is and they are much the same performance wise and on a long road the 12C is a bit quicker than my R8, but not much. In terms of traction it is all about the throttle. If you try and full throttle it everywhere then it will be spinning up the wheels in the damp, but if you let it get itself settled it goes well on road. I didn't find the traction as bad as I had expected. The car does move around, you have to be comfy with that but it's easy to control if you are happy to let it move around a bit.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I've sat in one in Geneva so I am therefore fully qualified to say that you should get one. Although I can imagine it'll be a complete disappointment after coming home from work in the E Class :(

Man of Honour
OP
I think the colour needs to be bright, white doesn't work on the car, I have concluded this now.
32880796808_10b9f4ab22_k.jpg

32880797028_7a64e3c83b_o.jpg

Associate
I agree with Housey that the GTR doesn't work in white and seems to suit the darker colours best.
Be careful if you choose the green hell magno as I've been told it needs to have ppf to preserve it.

Housey - are you in the market for one of these?

Associate
A gentleman who lives down my road has a GTC, SL63 and GL63S. Out of all of them, the GTC sounds the best. Not really the sort of location where he can floor it but it's got a very pleasing v8 rumble. He has it in dark grey, looks good with the roof down but not a patch on the blue one posted earlier. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom