An American Werewolf in London...

Soldato
What's the obsession with movie ratings? Don't think I have looked at a movie and thought, oh I wonder what the rating is!. So what if it's a PG/12/15, you can still get a good horror/thriller movie about werewolves. It's not all gore and violence.

Man of Honour
The film is quirky but probably quite dated for younger audiences. It’s one that strikes me as being ‘remake suitable’, to the extent that is possible.

Soldato
If they want to remake a werewolf movie, they should do "American Werewolf in Paris".

That was garbage to start with so hopefully they could improve it.

Seeing as we are talking remakes, wish they would hurry up and do "Logan's Run".

Commissario
What's the obsession with movie ratings? Don't think I have looked at a movie and thought, oh I wonder what the rating is!. So what if it's a PG/12/15, you can still get a good horror/thriller movie about werewolves. It's not all gore and violence.
People like to complain about what are often imagined problems.

The fact that you can get away with a lot more in some ways these days seems to pass people by, for example IIRC Mad Max was originally an 18 with some heavy cuts, then 18 with fewer cuts, not it's an uncut 15.
The BBFC ratings in the UK have trended down even for existing works as they've become more liberal (I know, on this forum that's a dirty word for some!) in what is allowed, despite some people thinking that things are getting more restrictive.

When it comes to proper horror films the production companies are still quite happy for a 15 or 18 rating especially the marketing departments*, unlike "family" films where they'll push to get it at a level that will allow as many kids as possible to see it.
Given this is a horror, I'd imagine they'll be aiming for a 15 or 18.

Also for those that are worrying about the cert for the original film compared to whatever this one gets, it was a 15 (the extras on the disk pushed it up to 18 for at least one release), so if the new film gets an 18 it'll actually have been deemed more gory/violent than the original :p

*Many would much prefer an 18 as it appeals to certain groups who'll go an see even the most rubbish film if it's got an 18.

Soldato
ergh is there any web link that suggests this is really likley to happen ? all the links suggest it was already improbable a year ago(and this thread is in my first page)

But, without Jenny, it will be like Wicker Man w/o Britt.

The industry still seems to be at a minima for special effects quality with animals, call of the wild being the latest, and inadequate budget to use the old technqiues.

Man of Honour
No need to remake this imo, its a cult classic.

On a personal note, this was the film which permanently damaged me, I watched it when it first came out , when I was 8 years old. Ever since, no film has ever scared me or made me jump, jump scares dont work on me, terrible real life death/injury footage has no effect on me, nothing makes me jump in rl or in any way frightens me. Watching that film at 8 years of age completely desensitized me to all forms of fear or horror or scares or injury.

Man of Honour
No need to remake this imo, its a cult classic.

On a personal note, this was the film which permanently damaged me, I watched it when it first came out , when I was 8 years old. Ever since, no film has ever scared me or made me jump, jump scares dont work on me, terrible real life death/injury footage has no effect on me, nothing makes me jump in rl or in any way frightens me. Watching that film at 8 years of age completely desensitized me to all forms of fear or horror or scares or injury.
Hah really... it’s mostly a very goofy comedy! How odd a child’s perception can be.

Man of Honour
We've already had the bad sequel, American Werewolf in Paris, why not add a remake to it?
Max Landis, if he is willing to take advice from his father, could be a good choice, much like the new Ghostbusters is Jason Reitman instead of Ivan Reitman.

I don't hold out much hope though.

Soldato
At the end of the day, there's no real harm in it.
The orginal film doesn't get erased from history and nobody is forcing anyone to watch the new one.

If anything, it brings attention to the fact that there was an original movie to a new/younger audience who might not have been aware of it.

Associate
The film has always stayed with me. Still gives me chills. It's not so much the scares, but the tragedy, it such an impactful horrer film in that sense. The transformation scene not only holds up well, but is arguably the best werewolf tranformation in cinema. The curse truly is a curse, it's a ticking bomb down to the emotional level, even as he tries to rebuild his life after the opening attack, a crescendo building toward finale as the body count (and their ghosts) increases, and that ending doesn't disappoint, the horror, tone, action all balance well. The film captures that era with aplomb. The film is a classic and masterpiece of the genre. Updating or rebooting classics are near impossible, as American Werewolf in Paris proved.

Last edited:
Associate
This film terrified me as well, the Underground and Moors scene. I saw was I must have been about eight. American Werewolf and Dog Soldiers are the two best werewolf films.

Regarding the rating system, the Robocop remake about 5 years ago (12 rating?) nothing like the 1987 original and dreadful.

Agree that CGI spoils films, watching a later Rambo film the other day and the CGI blood/gore looks comical.

Associate
An American COVID Werewolf. keep off the moors their traveller on there

Stay alert and save lives!!

Honestly leave well alone, for it's time it was a classic.As others have said cgi will ruin it.Is it really that hard to come up with some new idea's?

Back
Top Bottom