Anarchistic bands/music - what does it achieve and is it internally conflicted?

Soldato
I never had my rebellious angsty phase (yay trance and clubbing), but Killing In The Name Of has and always will be an absolute banger, hypocritical lyrics or not. :D

Same here. I didn't go through any silly phases either but if "Killing In The Name Of" was played when we were out then we'd go a bit nuts. "Bullet in the head" too.

Happy days. :D

Caporegime
I think they're just like most of Hollywood and the media, they want to imprint their own ideology onto their followers. Most kids will blindly follow whatever their idol does.

In terms of the music industry it's more likely their promoters/publishers are the ones pushing political messages as most artists are manufactured talentless faces these days. I think you'd struggle to get any air time if you were pushing right wing messages or anything truly radical (against the left who dominate most cultural areas). Actors in Hollywood (Tim Allen?) have openly admitted that if you aren't a lefty in Hollywood then you should keep your mouth shut.

As for Rage Against the Machine aren't they leading the Toy throwing against Trump/Farage? todays left are the true Conservatives, they are the ones terrified of any opportunity brought by Trump and Brexit, they care more about stopping GDP falling 1% short term and being inconvenienced at European airports than potential long term gains brought by a paradigm shift. It's not radical to be fighting for the status quo.

Soldato
I'm currently watching 'The Defiant Ones' on Netflix and it's interesting to see and hear just how (relatively) normal Dr. Dre and NWA et al were while they were growing up.

No doubt they did see and experience a lot of drugs and violence, and I'm sure Compton wasn't the nicest place to live. However, from their lyrics, you would think that their day-to-day lives were literally like how it's portraited in 'Boyz in the Hood'.

Even the famous interview where Eazy-E is waving an assault rifle around the studio, it turns out it was a paintball gun… :D

Soldato
I'm currently watching 'The Defiant Ones' on Netflix and it's interesting to see and hear just how (relatively) normal Dr. Dre and NWA et al were while they were growing up.

No doubt they did see and experience a lot of drugs and violence, and I'm sure Compton wasn't the nicest place to live. However, from their lyrics, you would think that their day-to-day lives were literally like how it's portraited in 'Boyz in the Hood'.

Even the famous interview where Eazy-E is waving an assault rifle around the studio, it turns out it was a paintball gun… :D

Lol.

Remember when folk thought AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc were actual Satanists?

And when the Beastie Boys were going to spell the end of civilisation with their corrupting influence on the youth?

It's hilarious looking back at their stuff now - they're just clowns (in a good way). :D

Soldato

My experience is that the people who make a big show of their background all the time are mist often the fakes. I can well believe that Dre and NWA et al both saw some horrible violence and hardship and in general conversation seemed quite normal. Whereas other rappers who are "on" all the time had it easier.

Soldato
Tbh i reckon the whole teenage rebellion thing is simply a symptom of that being the age when kids start being exposed to a much wider input of ideas than they've previously recieved from conventional parent/teacher authority figures and they realise that there are other ways of thinking.

In terms of the music i think it's a case of yes there's hypocrisy to some extent but at the same time these bands have to accept the reality that they aren't actually going to affect any kind of big change quick enough to make a difference to them so they end up having to play the system.

I think its its good that these bands at least inspire people to think about their ideals and decide for themselves rather than blindly accept things.

Soldato
they are the ones terrified of any opportunity brought by Trump and Brexit

The crossover between people who like Trump and Brexit are going to be the most moronic subset of humans.

Thanks goodness it's a tiny minority.

Tbh i reckon the whole teenage rebellion thing is simply a symptom of that being the age when kids start being exposed to a much wider input of ideas than they've previously recieved from conventional parent/teacher authority figures and they realise that there are other ways of thinking.

In terms of the music i think it's a case of yes there's hypocrisy to some extent but at the same time these bands have to accept the reality that they aren't actually going to affect any kind of big change quick enough to make a difference to them so they end up having to play the system.

I think its its good that these bands at least inspire people to think about their ideals and decide for themselves rather than blindly accept things.

I think you're probably right. I remember as a kid thinking that God didn't exist, and then lo and behold, it turned out that there was a term for that. But in the 10 years I'd been alive no one had even bothered to mention it to me. I thought that everyone had a religion and that was it. My world opened up a bit at that point.

All the music that I've listened to has fed into my idiology. One of my favourite lines is from Pink Floyd, "united we stand, divided we fall."

Back
Top Bottom