And Lewis Hamilton matches Michael Schumacher's 7 titles!

Soldato
I think that was correct until Verstappen came along. He's equally talented, and Red Bull will have a decent car too no doubt.

I firmly believed Verstappen to be the next big thing, until Leclerc arrived. Now, unless VES has a marked improvement in talent and a complete attitude/personality transplant I just don't see him picking up a WDC- Unless of course Red Bull ace the reg change in '21

Caporegime
Premature but probable thread title!

I think he’ll better it, never thought I’d see Schumacher's record equalled but now frankly I’d be surprised if he doesn’t surpass it by sone margin assuming he can keep his eye on the f1 ball, that I suspect he may not....

That said I’ve thought that for a while and he keeps proving me wrong, long may that continue!

Soldato
Biggest team, biggest budget, best car. Why wouldn't he win again? His nearest rivals are a bunch of inept clowns. Red Bull are on their own in 3rd and everyone else might as well stay home.

100 races in the turbo era, 74 Mercedes wins, 83 Mercedes poles. That’s domination on a never seen level before in Formula 1 history.

Soldato
OP
Interesting article, although slightly rude towards Schumacher.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...Lewis-Hamilton-better-Michael-Schumacher.html

There will be plenty of talk over the next year linking Hamilton with Ferrari from 2021 onwards, in what would be the perfect coda to his career. Imagine passing Schumacher’s record seven titles there.

Will he go? There is a pull, of course. He has spoken of it for years. It cannot be ruled out.
He would be 36 by the start of the 2021 season, in the autumn of his days as a driver. But as John Watson, the former McLaren racer, told me the other day: ‘Lewis is driving well within himself. It is so easy for him. He has plenty in the tank
.’

Man of Honour
I firmly believed Verstappen to be the next big thing, until Leclerc arrived. Now, unless VES has a marked improvement in talent and a complete attitude/personality transplant I just don't see him picking up a WDC- Unless of course Red Bull ace the reg change in '21

I think that was correct until Verstappen came along. He's equally talented, and Red Bull will have a decent car too no doubt.

Some of the drivers arguably have better instincts or better mentality, etc. than Hamilton but comparing onboard (say Singapore) I'm yet to see a driver that can touch Hamilton when he is on his game - all of them have far more micro-corrections, not as committed input wise, etc. to the same level of decisiveness Hamilton drives at - in some cases his margin of error is an order of magnitude closer to the edge - he must almost practise some of these circuits in his sleep.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
What was the stats when Schumacher won all the time with ferrari?

2000-2004 there were 85 races. Schumacher won 48 of them. Over that 85 race period Barichello won 9 times, giving Ferrari a total of 57 wins.

2002 could be argued to be Schumacher's most dominant year as he finished on the podium at every single race. He won 11 times that year in 17 races. 2004 saw him win more races (13 from 18), but he retired in Monaco had two other races where he finished off the podium (had an awful race in China, couldn't overcome a grid penalty for an engine change in Brazil).

The most competitive years in that time frame I guess would be 2000 (Michael v. Mika) and 2003 (Michael v. Kimi v. Juan Montoya). 2003 was the only one of those to go down to the final race of the season. On the flip-side, 2002 was the earliest that the title was wrapped up with Schumacher taking it at round 11 in France.

Back
Top Bottom