And Lewis Hamilton wins his 5th Championship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
^ Will we hear those words by the end of 2018?

"Four is a great number. But I want number five now," the 32-year-old said.

Also, Lewis takes a swipe at Nico Rosberg.
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/dail...F1-huge-swipe-Nico-Rosberg-Mexican-Grand-Prix

"I want to go out at the top ... I could do the easy thing, like obviously Nico did, which is just stop and retreat with these four titles. But I think there's more in me."

Man of Honour
To be fair to Rosberg, it was his life goal to win the championship. He did it and retired to enjoy life with his family. You can't fault the guy for that. That was his goal.

Hamilton's goal is to set records. They're totally different mindsets.

Soldato
I think Hamilton's comment says a lot more about Hamilton than it does about Rosberg. Rosberg wanted the WDC and got it. Hamilton is a fierce competitor and probably feels cheated of the opportunity to beat Rosberg again.

I thought the comment was rather ungracious, and would have thought there'd be better ways to acknowledge his success and achievement.

Associate
I used to doubt Rosbergs ability but after seeing how far Bottas is off Lewis, Nico was actually pretty fast.

I agree.

It's a shame Nico decided to quit so soon. I sometimes wonder how this season would've been and how close Vettel would've gotten had Nico continued to race.

Caporegime
I think Hamilton's comment says a lot more about Hamilton than it does about Rosberg. Rosberg wanted the WDC and got it. Hamilton is a fierce competitor and probably feels cheated of the opportunity to beat Rosberg again.

I thought the comment was rather ungracious, and would have thought there'd be better ways to acknowledge his success and achievement.

You realise that he was directly asked all week about if he was going to continue past 4 or retire like Rosberg. The last guy who retired after being champion was... Rosberg, it's not exactly crazy for him to talk about him as he had two options retire after winning like Rosberg or keep going.

Nico wasn't very fast, his race pace was often poor and he struggled to keep his tires in and fuel usage down. Hamilton spent half the races cruising. This year there were more times two teams could out qualify a Mercedes and Hamilton had to push harder far more often. As you only attempt to win as slowly as is required the gaps aren't particularly indicative. I think Rosberg might well be a little better than bottas, but not hugely. It's the fact that there was really no one capable of getting between Hamilton and Rosberg meant he gap between them in race pace wasn't that often seen. This year because a Ferrari and Red Bull faster than Bottas is between the two Mercs Ham has to use his full pace, if it's just Bottas behind him and they are comfortable then he could have pushed and been for instance 1 second faster a lap like he was in Malaysia but what Hamilton would do is just back off 0.9 seconds and maintain a very small gap to Bottas.

Soldato
You realise that he was directly asked all week about if he was going to continue past 4 or retire like Rosberg. The last guy who retired after being champion was... Rosberg, it's not exactly crazy for him to talk about him as he had two options retire after winning like Rosberg or keep going.

So what? He's plenty experienced in answering (or not) questions he doesn't want to answer or answer in his own way. There were countless responses he could have given without directly referencing Rosberg, which it why I considered it to be a little ungracious. A lecture on your opinion of Rosberg's ability doesn't change that. In my view his accomplishments are such that he really can just focus on them rather than anyone else. His achievements are outstanding, and stand out on their own.

Soldato
To be fair to Rosberg, it was his life goal to win the championship. He did it and retired to enjoy life with his family. You can't fault the guy for that. That was his goal.

Hamilton's goal is to set records. They're totally different mindsets.

You've got it totally wrong. Hamilton's goal is simply to be the best driver he can, to perfect his skills as much as possible and continually test himself against the best drivers. The records that come with his success are merely a way of measuring it, not a goal in themselves.

Take championships. When he won his third, he was more concerned with having equaled the achievement of his hero, Senna, than he was with the number three per se. When he won his fourth, it was more about becoming the most successful British driver than the number four. It's not about the raw numbers, it's about achievement and measuring himself against the greats.

If anything, Rosberg was more interested in records than Hamilton. He just wanted to get a championship to "put a tick in the box", then he quit. He wasn't interested in continuing beyond that as he had no real love for racing, he just wanted that tick. He was also willing to do anything to get it, often employing underhand tactics against Hamilton and ultimately needing poor reliability for Lewis to achieve it.

Rosberg was undoubtedly quick on his day but was a totally forgettable driver. Many people have already forgotten about him this year - ask the average person with a passing interest in F1 who the current world champion is and they'd probably pause for a second or two. He'll go down in the history of F1 as a forgettable driver who lucked into a single championship.

Caporegime
Yet here you are, still analysing and talking in detail about Rosberg a year later. :)
Geezus someone is a tad bit upset about Rosberg being criticised aren’t they??

Yeh he is being spoken about because Hamilton made a comment about Rosberg. It’s no huge surprise that both Rosberg and Hamilton aren’t the best of buddies anymore especially with the way Rosberg tried a few times to run Hamilton off the track. Then threw his toys out of the pram when Hamilton was wiping the racetrack with him.

Yes the year he won the championship was rather lucky in that Hamilton suffered reliability problems and even then at the last race, Hamilton could have still beaten him to the championship.

As someone said above, Rosberg is a forgettable driver. He spent a few yrs in Hamilton’s shadow before he miraculously won the title. Give it a few yrs and no one will remember him.

Associate
Lewis Hamilton is a great racer, but out of the car he's an irritating smug annoying English ****.

What is it with this "Love" and "God" thing? Praying at the car side? Saying "Love conquers all", utter tosh.

To be honest, I mute him on TV these days when he's out of the car. Can't stand listening to him.

Great racer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom