Angled rear plate on old jap cars - why?

Soldato
Been wondering about this for a while but can never find an answer.

Skip to 12:08 and compare it with 12:13

What's the reason behind the oddly angled plate? Always seems to be on Skylines/S15s/those kind of cars

Anyone?

Soldato
It has to tilt to get the bumper off, the plate is chassis mounted and it goes through the bumper. Driving with it at a jaunty angle is obviously just a style/camera evasion thing. Handy if you are doing street drifting, allegedly.

Soldato
Interesting. I was going to start a thread the other day about what happened to those homoerotic massive touring car style sun visor strips you used to see everywhere back in the late 90s. This thread has delivered. Thanks

Caporegime
Interesting. I was going to start a thread the other day about what happened to those homoerotic massive touring car style sun visor strips you used to see everywhere back in the late 90s. This thread has delivered. Thanks

JDM innit. Gets people frothing at the mouth and jacking off in a sock because they have exactly the same stuff as here but it's been blessed by Japan for some reason. Wooooo, japan.

Soldato
OP
It has to tilt to get the bumper off, the plate is chassis mounted and it goes through the bumper. Driving with it at a jaunty angle is obviously just a style/camera evasion thing. Handy if you are doing street drifting, allegedly.

Now this makes sense.
the plate is chassis mounted and it goes through the bumper.

This is a bit random though, any particular reason for it that you know of?

Still see those from time to time too
JDM innit. Gets people frothing at the mouth and jacking off in a sock because they have exactly the same stuff as here but it's been blessed by Japan for some reason. Wooooo, japan.

HAHAHA :D

Soldato

This initially sounded ridiculous; given that bumper removal is hardly a regular job, why couldn't the plate just be unscrewed rather than hinge up? The reason is that Japanese rear reg plates are permanently attached to the car via a tamper-proof seal on one of the bolts. Most JDM cars have the plate mounted to the bumper, so presumably Nissan thought that the GTR was more likely to be going backwards into the scenery...

Soldato
I mean it is legitimately handy if you rip the bumper off drifting, can still drive home with the number plate attached. Who knows why they really mounted it like that.

Soldato
OP
This initially sounded ridiculous; given that bumper removal is hardly a regular job, why couldn't the plate just be unscrewed rather than hinge up? The reason is that Japanese rear reg plates are permanently attached to the car via a tamper-proof seal on one of the bolts. Most JDM cars have the plate mounted to the bumper, so presumably Nissan thought that the GTR was more likely to be going backwards into the scenery...
Ahh right!
I mean it is legitimately handy if you rip the bumper off drifting, can still drive home with the number plate attached. Who knows why they really mounted it like that.
Lol I thought about this too... but then thought if they're drifting about in the mountain roads they probably don't care much for the legality aspect ha :D

Soldato
Lowers the radar cross-section slightly? :D

I've seen a few bikes where people have mounted the plate on a hinge so it lifts up at speed lol

Back
Top Bottom