• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Annoying 5870/radeon/ati problem forced 85hz no higher!!

Soldato
I'm still using a 24" crt on 1600x900@120hz and always been fine under nvidia drivers. I've just got an ati for the first time in 5 years or so and it seems that it won't allow over 85hz under win xp (and probably other os's?) nomatter what i do which would obviously be fine if i had an 60hz lcd but i don't!

Is there any way to fix this before i totally give up and have to send it back

Pulling my hair out here with it as my i7 p920 + 5870 seems really fast but 85hz on CRT is making my eyes bleed!! :(

Any help appreciated please!! Don't forget the problem is under win xp.

Soldato
I did have this problem a while back. I seem to remember using power strip or rivertuner to set the refresh rate.

What CRT is that BTW ?

Soldato
OP
sony Fw900 24" (22.5" viewable) very rare :)

Still trying to fix it, ive tried riva tuner, will try power strip now.

I'm on the verge of returning it for a 295 tbh :(

Associate
Once had a similar problem and i had to locate the drivers for the monitor and that sorted it as windows seemed a bit flaky on the whole generic display part maybe that might help you.

Associate
I actually had this problem but the other way round than you...

I use a CRT to play CS @ 100hz and my NVIDIA card would not allow me to gain over 85HZ refresh rate. Sooo....I purchased an ATI card and pow!! 100hz. It seems to be a software issue....quite how one might go about fixing it is totally unknown for me..I tried everything but a new operating system without much luck; (including a number of different drivers, reforce etc....).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the recent replies.

Nah i can't fix it nomatter what i do, ive tried rivatuner, ive tried powerstrip, ive tried faffing about in windows etc etc and i've tried forcing it ingame in games like quake etc, aswell as refreshlock and absolutely nothing allows it to go over 85hz :(

I'm really pleased with the card's speed too but its gonna have to go for a gtx295 :(

Permabanned
Thanks for the recent replies.

Nah i can't fix it nomatter what i do, ive tried rivatuner, ive tried powerstrip, ive tried faffing about in windows etc etc and i've tried forcing it ingame in games like quake etc, aswell as refreshlock and absolutely nothing allows it to go over 85hz :(

I'm really pleased with the card's speed too but its gonna have to go for a gtx295 :(

Have you tried re-installing windows?

Sometimes going between brands can cause some issues like this. It's just not worth replacing it with a GTX295.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried re-installing windows?

Sometimes going between brands can cause some issues like this. It's just not worth replacing it with a GTX295.

It was a totally new pc upgrade + totally fresh install :(

Why not? The overclockers brand 295 is £30 more and generally the 295 performs better in lots of games too ? Even if it is on older-tech at least i'll get 120hz back.

Permabanned
It was a totally new pc upgrade + totally fresh install :(

Why not? The overclockers brand 295 is £30 more and generally the 295 performs better in lots of games too ? Even if it is on older-tech at least i'll get 120hz back.

It may perform better, but it's marginal, plus the 5870 is on beta drivers at the moment, that may be why your can't get 120Hz working.

As new drivers come out, the performance of the 5870 can only get better.

I would see the 9.10s being a better set of drivers to be honest, they'll be more complete as the currents are lacking some features.

Associate
Yeah i would contact ati or card maker first before returning it also as kylew said maybe it is down to early drivers maybe give it a couple of weeks. Though i guess that depends if keeping it to try and sort this out will mean you can't return it and get a refund if so i can see why your in a rush sorry nothing seems to have worked.

Soldato
OP
Hi, quick update would be that i've now given up and returned it :( Gutted as the card is fantastic. 30-70fps on very high everything 1920x1200 8x aa ingame on crysis warhead.

Appreciated the replies though, thanks again everyone who did.

Back
Top Bottom