Annoying your neighbours

Soldato
willhub said:
no they wont be worrying for the next attack at all lol. If they complain about the level i have it now its going all the way up and am gunna put the sub right against there wall to make there lives hell if they complain for the noise level its at now, i got sub at half volume and main volume at 2, its quiet.

Nice anti-social behaviour there. :)

Glad your not living near me or you would get a brick through your window.

Middle of the day reasonably loud is fine, but to enjoy music volume past a point is useless, you start loosing quality after that.

Use headphones if you want to play 'bangin choons'.

Soldato
Yewen said:
Nice anti-social behaviour there. :)

Glad your not living near me or you would get a brick through your window.
i'm not the only one who can see the strange irony there, am i?

i like loud muic. i play loud muic. but i only do it between 4pm and 9 pm if i play it loud. the rest of the time its down to headphones if im doing anything else. ive had problems with my neibours before, but the way i see it - if i can HEAR every word said on whatever tv program the devil-woman is watching next door at 2 in the morning, i couldnt give a rats how loud my music is at 4o'clock in the afternoon.

Middle of the day reasonably loud is fine, but to enjoy music volume past a point is useless, you start loosing quality after that

That's debatable. Reference level is really quite loud, and most kit is designed to operate at those levels without any troubles:)

Last edited:
Soldato
james.miller said:
i'm not the only one who can see the strange irony there, am i?

lol, no, but I can see where he's coming from.

I'd probably feel a lot better by phoning the council and the expensive speakers etc. being taken by the council rather than lobbing a brick through the window though. Hitting them where it hurts and knowing they can't do a thing (legally) about it would be great :)

Shame it's not quite so simple with noisy dogs :(

Soldato
I just use headphones... peroid + they sound can sound better then most spker kits out there anyhow....

But then again I have respect for others in my house and my surroundings :)

Man of Honour
Phil99 said:
Shame it's not quite so simple with noisy dogs :(

It is.
Make recordings, write down details and contact the council if the owner won't do anything.
The dog was going to be taken away but just before that happened six of us clubbed together for an anti bark collar to go round the dogs neck and gave it to the owner - it worked.

Soldato
Ya know, i think a lot of people have too much respect for there neigbours.

do any of you, ever play loud music? do you think that its not been respectful if you play music loud now and again?

Is it me or would some of you at the first hint of music beggining to shake your house complain, even if it was only 10 mins?

Associate
There's a lot of irrationality here I reckon, from both sides of the arguement.

As I said earlier, a neighbourhood is all give and take. It's not unreasonable for a person to play music 'quite loud' during the daytime, although it's obviously out of order to blast it out to the entire street. There's every chance that the person might just not realise how loud it sounds, although it's generally obvious when a person knows but just doesn't care. There's a difference there, so labelling anyone who plays music to an 'audiable outside level' as being plain inconsiderate is a bit unfair.

If it's the former, rather than playing the ******* and sitting outside with a tape recorder, talk to them, explain to them rationally the situation. If they just tell you to **** off, you can feel free to take it from there because they clearly don't care, but generally people are reasonable.

Obviously it's a different deal at nighttime, people are trying to sleep and it makes sense not to play stuff... but then, they might just be playing a game and might not realise - for god sake TALK TO THEM! Don't jump the gun and irrationallty assume they are just ******** who don't care, running to the council and loosing the guy his stuff when they might be good people who don't realise.

There's all sorts of noises in a neighbourhood, be it screaming kids, drilling or whatever, and music is just the same. Consideration has to come from both sides.

People are overthinking this - just use a bit of common sense about it.

The whole 'hip-hop' thing and types of music is besides the point.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
willhub said:
Ya know, i think a lot of people have too much respect for there neigbours.

When you have your own house and family you will look back on this and wonder why you made this post.
I've lived in this house for 23 years and never given my neighbours concern for noise problems and we've never had it back (from either side).
We have had noise from next-door-but-ones dog but I explained earlier what we did about that.
Also remember another factor - other peoples noise is a 1000 times worse than your own.
eg Your parents are probably used to your noise but if the neighbours played theirs at the same volume it would be intolerable.

Soldato
If my neighbours played theres loud, it wouldent bother me, i dont like quietness, i much prefer it to be loud and busy than everywere sounds dead. Maybe i will look back and wonder why i made this post but i would obviously be more mature if i had a familly and my own house, but i am 17 and have a really crappy life, so music keeps me from going insane :)

Associate
@Shakey_Jake33: Indeed, so far I have yet to hear a complaint. I realise that I do play my music quite loud especially when I am cleaning the flat. But I certainly would appreciate getting a knock on the door and being told to lower the volume a few notch before taking to higher authorities.

As for the type of music, I don't think there is even the need to explain who already believes their stereotypes..

Soldato
Shakey_Jake33 said:
just use a bit of common sense about it.

Common sense indeed. In fact I don't think anyone here is saying don't ever play loud music. It's about how loud and how often. Your music shouldn't lower the quality of other peoples lives.

Associate
True. Things seem to be all good with my neighbours... I mean, I'm not quite sure how my Z-5500's sound next door, I do try as hard as I can to keep it at a reasonable level in daytime (reasonable being loud enough for me without causing a hinderance for others)... I've had no complaints from them, though I've even considered soundproofing my room. Resent the idea that I'd be considered inconsiderate for playing my music 'a bit loud' when I do try to be... just try to strike a balance y'know.
I mean, it's after 10 now, I've turned it down, hopefully it can't be heard next door.

We also have a problem with our dog barking at all hours - she's old and just does it when she's worried or whatever... just her age, keeps dad up all night too. I believe my parents have discusses this with them, not really much we can do about her other than try and calm her down.

Then again, we work night shift and don't complain about the screaming kids, so I think there's an understanding there.

But this is all because we *talked* about it, rather than just irrationally running to the council without trying to stabalise the situation through conversation.

Soldato
I'm so considerate I don't even have speakers... unless you count my lovely 2.0 2W speakers that can't be heard over regular people's voices. :(

Getting some nice loud ones soon though. :)

Associate
im with the majority here
i am a sufferer of tinitus as well
i used to have my walkman headphones full blast with techno for hours on end
thats what did the damage

ive had to put up with my old niegbors "thump thump thump thump"
for 8 years .... although the first few years were ok as i was in his flat partying :D (we lived on top of an office block ... no neighbours )
but having to put up with the noise for hours on end really started to drive me crazy ... fyi too much low frequency sounds for hours on end can cause depression

Soldato
I have always been respectful to people around Me as I have had really troublesome neighbours in the past - yeah occasionally i play reasonably loud music so I can get to sleep but its pretty infrequent and always try and listen out for anyone knocking to turn it down

People who just blare anything out are abhorant in my opinion

Soldato
The first few whiners were missing the important task of mentioning wether they actually tried confronting their neighbours, and i'd make a wager at saying its likely they didnt.

People always like to moan, and less often like to actually to confront the people causing them distress.

We play loud music occassionally, well mainly me, and so do the neighbours occassionally. Its never after 9pm, and i think we're happy on both sides, all family members are over 16, so i don't think there's any chance of a before 9pm bedtime.

Though my mum hates loud music, except when its her, apparently mines too bassy for her, though she is sat below my room so she's gonna hear that more. My way round that was to play with more bass when shes out.

Where i live, its pretty easy to hear anyones loud music, especially those people 2 doors down, who have the occasionly family or friends parties that last to midnight. These parties sometimes last to 11pm, but its only 1 every 2 months or so, maybe less then that.

Every member of my family, minus my mum likes loud bassy music when they can, where my mum will just settle for treble.... :rolleyes: however, i think i'm the only one here that doesnt moan about the noise when these parties go on.

How picky do people want to be?.....
Once in 2 months is acceptable to me.

I'm sure the people here have bigger issues, is it honestly that often?....

I've heard loud music coming from houses, and to me, if its not too often and at stupid times, let them do it, or be a sour grape and just whine. I know everyone has a different idea of what is acceptable, but i'd rather have a little give and take myself, i deal with loud music once in a while, and they do the same.

I suppose its the same people here complaining about music that complain about items being out of stock at the local shop.

However, i do understand how some people clearly have total disregard for others around them, and i've met enough of them, too many if you ask me.

However, secondly, i've also met just as many people that like to complain and whine about every little annoyance under the sun.

So i'm stuck asking myself, is this a thread of genuine personal suffering or of people being over the top whiney, or is it both.

Its a tough one.......

p.s. with all the stereotyping going on here, i guess i deserve to be in jail, because apparently i like to annoy my neighbours.

Last edited:
Soldato
But you're just as guilty of stereotyping, by branding people whiners. One of the 'whiners' mentioned banging down the nieghbours door, so therefore the neighbours must have known the problems they were causing. He also said the people who bought his house after him also found the problem equally bad and had the noisy neighbour evicted.

Also everyone here has said occasional loud music is fine. I think you might have jumped to too many conclusions without reading enough of the thread (which we're all guilty of from time to time).

Back
Top Bottom