1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anotehr project idea. Enough capacity to cope

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by enigma27, Mar 16, 2017.

1. enigma27

Wise Guy

Hi All..

I have a second PC i use for LAN parties and no projects on at the mo so thought would have a go at modding it.

PC is as follows

Corsair air 240
    I5 3570K
    Gefore 980TI

Was thinking of water cooling this lot but am not sure if due to the size of the case it can handle the capacity.

Was thinking 240mm radiator in either front of top... and running both GPU and CPU in the same loop with a small res/pump combo.

Will the 240 Rad (probably have to be a slim one) handle both CPU and GPU?

2. enigma27

Wise Guy

just thinking I maybe able to fit a 240mm and a 120mm rad in this case then loop the 240mm after the GPU and the 120mm after the cpu

3. VKleita

Hitman

Loop order doesn't matter.
    Do what every is less kinked/ easier/ looks nicer.

Due to thermal dynamics water temps will pretty much even out over the course of a loop, its really not worth the effort :)

4. enigma27

Wise Guy

so just stick with one 240?

5. orbitalwalsh

Wise Guy

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

Don't worry if you case isn't there. Use Aerofoil DS Cube as you can select 240 along with 120 is you want. Includes slim SE version and their standard PE version 26mm Vs 36mm

Did a quick mock up and seems you'll be 50watts of ideal cooling, so would need some good fans at a high rpm rate ! If you can squeeze in a 120 at the back the better.
    If your happy with sound then stick with a 240 slim only but kind of board lines on air cooling ...

6. enigma27

Wise Guy

7. Smffy

Wise Guy

If you can fit more I would make the effort if I were you but depends how hard you want this to work...

Also I would suggest NOT getting the EK slims as they are pretty pants, HWLabs would be superior.

8. Legend

Mobster

A single 240 would do it, but temps will be poor and fans would likely be running at full bore to even have it competing with air, therefore you can throw silence out the window. Only you can answer as to whether that net result is worth the extra cost to you or not. An extra 120 would definitely take some of the strain off, but how much is hard to say.

9. new boy

Mobster

360 minimum IMO, especially as the 980ti is a big die. Going 240 would be a waste of time and money really as your going have have temps and noise comparable to how it was on air.

10. enigma27

Wise Guy

360 would be too big for this case

11. new boy

Mobster

12. enigma27

Wise Guy

thaks new boy.

so one last question.. how to fit this all in order..

does it really matter with dual rads?

From a practical point of view ideally i would like Pump/res>CPU>GPU>RAD1>RAD2 just so it all connects neatly.

From performance perspective i am thinking pump/res>GPU>Rad1>CPU>RAD2>

or does it make little difference?

13. new boy

Mobster

It doesn't make any difference, go with whatever looks neatest / has the least tights bends / uses the least tube.

14. VKleita

Hitman

As New boy says, very little difference.
    Just do what's easier/neater :)