1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another American cop thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VincentHanna, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Roar87

Soldato

You aren't allowed to eat on the station, refused to give name/cooperate, story wouldn't be reported if he was White.

2. FTM

Soldato

I have seen loads of videos on you tube recently about american police being called because people are fishing

people can be so petty.

thankfully all of the officers seem really cool about it and not demanding like the jerk in this video

3. VincentHanna

Capodecina

They have actual takeaway places at BART stations, so that law seems a bit mad.

4. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

Law or not that is a joke and a waste of police time, arresting someone for eating a sandwich on a train platform? There are plenty of petty laws that don't need to be enforced, this is one of them.

5. dowie

Caporegime

before you go through the barriers - you can buy cigarettes on planes, doesn't mean you can smoke them

while it does seem a little bit mad that it had to escalate that much the guy was being a jerk and the cop was pretty much by the book - guy could have just apologised, said he didn't realise and either put the food away/disposed of it or walked back downstairs - instead he just started getting all worked up etc... and the whole thing escalated.

Its not like this is just some train employee - he's a cop with a gun and if a bit of attitude from someone caused him to back off an not apply the rules then what would be the point in him trying to enforce them... so of course it is just going to escalate with an attitude like that guy's

6. Roar87

Soldato

The law seeming mad doesn't mean it isn't the officers job to enforce it. The officer might even agree that the law is silly, but he isn't doing his job to ignore it. What annoys me here is that the story is being reported as if the victim is being persecuted because of his skin colour, he was breaking the law and uncooperative. Simple. This isn't even a story when the "victim" is white yet people on here are gullible enough to post it and be outraged.

Am I to believe you think the first step the officer took was to arrest him or are you being willfully ignorant?

7. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Not being funny, but Malevolence posted the story and he's hardly Mr. woke.

8. dowie

Caporegime

He's commenting on how the story is being reported not who posted it on OCUK forums.

9. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Not seen the reporting, I've only seen the Twitter post here and that doesn't mention race.

10. Roar87

Soldato

I was annoyed at both the reporting of the story and it being posted on here to be fair, just look away from the headlines and dig into the detail a bit and suddenly you don't have a member of the KKK who managed to get a job as a Police Officer.

11. TheVoice

Capodecina

Without seeing the incident from start to finish it's difficult to judge, police discretion exists but if that was tried and failed then the remaining options start to run out.

12. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

What does that matter? Any non compliance results in "You are detained and your not free to go", are you saying you have to comply to any police officers requests no matter how trivial? That sounds like a police state to me, I would rather spend 6 months in prison than be 'forced' to comply with that officer.

Also magically the story changes because the officers know what they did was stupid,

https://twitter.com/abus2bam/status/1193839313768898560

Listen from 25 seconds on, what utter ********, how on earth can you defend that?

"There was a report of someone matching your description on the platform"

Now it's not about the sandwich, it's something else entirely, yeah, ok.

13. StriderX

Capodecina

He defends it because he's him.

14. deuse

Capodecina

That's a BART police man and not a county police man.
    You did know that.....right? maybe not....

15. Roar87

Soldato

They ask him his last name and he responds "why you ******* with me?". It's so easy to not get arrested, these videos are literally text book examples of what not to do. Just cooperate, make their job easy, go about your day. Everyone wins.

16. StriderX

Capodecina

Just capitulate to the police state, no one wins.

17. Angilion

Man of Honour

There is a lot of ground between "just capitulate to the police state" and "always force any interaction with the police into a conflict so you can play the victim card for political/financial purposes even if you were knowingly breaking the law at the time".

I'll use myself as an example. When I was a young man, I was stopped and questioned by police at least half a dozen times. Maybe more. I didn't keep track because none of the incidents were important because I wasn't an arse about it. In most cases it was of course at least partially profiling on the basis of biological traits (sex and age). Even if I was in a high status biological group identity and so I was expected to pretend to be offended at everything in order to assert my perceived superiority, I wouldn't be. I'm not (I'm male and "white", so I'm assigned almost the lowest status biological group identity, raised from the bottom only by not being heterosexual), but I doubt if I'd react that way even if I was. Yes, I was discriminated against because of my sex and age. But I'm willing to allow some very small margin of compromise for practicality. The police can't automagically know everything, so they have to make some use of statistics. The key point, in my opinion, is how they approach it. I've no complaints about that - every copper who stopped me was polite and efficient, taking just a couple of minutes or so to assess the situation. Sometimes less. Someone who's good at the job can tell a lot from how someone responds to a few words. Even the copper who found me breaking into a house was polite, calm and efficient, although he spent more than a few minutes on assessing that incident :) Fair enough - he should and did take the time to make sure of the details of what was happening. But, and here's a ket point, he was polite and efficient about it.

In all my dealings with police, the general trend was that they weren't arseholes and I wasn't an ******** and we all went on our way without any significant hassle. I think that's fine.

Of course, I could have deliberately escalated those situations into a confrontation if I wanted to and I was an ******** and either stupid or I thought I could gain power or money from doing so. But I'm not like that. And I'm the "wrong sex" and the "wrong race", so I couldn't do it anyway. Although I suppose I could play the "I'm not straight!" card and try for superior status that way despite being male and "white". But I wouldn't do that.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  18. Roar87

Soldato

Good post Angilon. I was in a situation this year involving the Police where I could easily have been arrested, but simply by being calm, polite and cooperative I went home in a taxi instead of spending a night in the cells. Just put yourself in their shoes, I'm sure the majority of the time they want an easy shift without the need to arrest or detain people.

19. StriderX

Capodecina

Perhaps, but the US isn't normal and it's entirely right that a black man (acknowledging not so distant historical context) have unease about just bending over. Is it wise? No, as most officers aren't bigoted and just want to do their job. But from the guy's perspective I can totally get his stance, even if probably (likely) self-defeating.

20. Angilion

Man of Honour

My reply is still the same. There's a lot of ground between "just bending over" and forcing an interaction with the police into a confrontation. Starting off by demanding "Why are you [Magic Word forbidden on this forum] with me?" is definitely the latter.