• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another dead 2080ti

Man of Honour
Funny that, my 1080Ti plays everything I throw at it on either Ultra or High, 4K 60fps........:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: indeed. if you're playing AAA titles from 3-4 years ago. lol.
just fyi, as an owner of a 1080ti as well, i'm not that deluded to think that a 1080ti is a true 4k60 card that will run everything on max settings for all the latest and greatest AAA titles.
older titles yes, newer titles definitely no. hell, as you can see, even the 2080ti struggles in some games too, without turning the settings down a notch or two...

(sauce: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_Founders_Edition/)
IaAGEFH.png CYj6bsh.png
PE67Sz6.png 8xYD5p2.png
dWF5vix.png 6ykZBOp.png
Wltp7p0.png PTySPFr.png
t83n6kJ.png ZK0nvfe.png
oKJ6hN9.png LFZIKj3.png

Soldato
If nothing below a 2080Ti can handle 4K then technology obviously isn't advanced enough yet. That HUGE expense on a CPU and GPU and Monster Hunter World runs at 43.1 FPS. Why bother with 4K? I dont understand.

Does 4K improve the graphics that much?

Man of Honour
as someone who's owned a 4k60 screen, to my eyes, it's indistinguishable during fps gaming. now i'm using a 1440p75 screen instead.
better to have 1440p with a higher refresh instead, imo.
of course, if one is sat close enough, and staring at static(ish) images, then yeah, one could probably appreciate the increased detail - but then one probably didn't then need the fps in the first place...lol :p

Soldato
Funny that, my 1080Ti plays everything I throw at it on either Ultra or High, 4K 60fps........:rolleyes:

You're right and wrong at the same time.

Right because like you I successfully played 4k 60fps games with my old 1080ti, wrong because he was probably refering to 4k "ultra" at 60fps, of which the 2080ti can achieve this in a large numbers of titles that the 1080ti cannot and that trend will continue as new games' Ultra presets are built around the capabilities of the 2080ti and not the 1080ti anymore.

If nothing below a 2080Ti can handle 4K then technology obviously isn't advanced enough yet. That HUGE expense on a CPU and GPU and Monster Hunter World runs at 43.1 FPS. Why bother with 4K? I dont understand.

1440p to 4k improves the graphics about as much as SDR to HDR and Ray Tracing off to Ray Tracing on. The point being that none of these are MINDBLOWING, but they are all nice to have all do provide noticeable improvement to the visuals

Man of Honour
You're right and wrong at the same time.

Right because like you I successfully played 4k 60fps games with my old 1080ti, wrong because he was probably refering to 4k "ultra" at 60fps, of which the 2080ti can achieve this in a large numbers of titles that the 1080ti cannot and that trend will continue as new games' Ultra presets are built around the capabilities of the 2080ti and not the 1080ti anymore.
put very eloquently. *thumbs up*

Soldato
1440p to 4k improves the graphics about as much as SDR to HDR and Ray Tracing off to Ray Tracing on. The point being that none of these are MINDBLOWING, but they are all nice to have all do provide noticeable improvement to the visuals

When I watch Eastenders at 1080p, it looks better than any 4K game. Surely we dont have to keep increasing the resolution a crazy number of times to get photorealistic graphics. In 10 years it could be 8k or 16k but do we really need it? Surely there's a final resolution that's high enough.

Man of Honour
When I watch Eastenders at 1080p, it looks better than any 4K game.
but i bet if you watch 4k eastenders, it'll look better than 1080p eastenders. think you're comparing apples to oranges here.
could probably suggest watching 4k bluray vs 1080p dvd and see the quality difference, if you're sitting close enough.

In 10 years it could be 8k or 16k but do we really need it? Surely there's a final resolution that's high enough.
resolution is only a part of the equation, other parts include screen size (ie pixels per inch) and distance from screen
https://u.osu.edu/medialogue/2014/05/16/real-promise-of-4k/

Soldato

When I watch Eastenders at 1080p, it looks better than any 4K game. Surely we dont have to keep increasing the resolution a crazy number of times to get photorealistic graphics. In 10 years it could be 8k or 16k but do we really need it? Surely there's a final resolution that's high enough.

I believe 4k is high enough for me - technically speaking all the way up to 16k is where you would be able to notice a difference but anything over 1080p and that difference starts to get smaller and smaller.
I don't see the value in doing 8k over 4k for example - certainly not at my viewing distance and screen size but for something like a movie theater then yeah 16k would be really nice and crisp

and while I lol'd at that comparison, it's not fair - you're recording real life which is in who knows how many megapixels (our eyes see 576 megapixels) and then it gets downscaled onto the 2 megapixels 1080p screen you're viewing from. Where as your 4k game is at a native 4k, most definitely lower than the image quality of real life - as I mentioned above, 16k video recordings on a 16k screen is about where you'd stop noticing the difference between looking out a window with your eyes and a TV screen - a more appropriate comparison would be viewing that TV show on your 1080p screen VS being one of those characters on set and seeing hat they see

Last edited:
Associate
it may well depend on the game too tbh, i think u can probably jiggle settings abit (less AA is needed, typically) to get better fps, but 4k is just a lot of pixels to shove

Associate
This is getting crazy Nvidia really need to sort it out, RMA it and go for EVGA and pay the extra when registering it for the extended warranty. There advanced RMA is great at getting another card to you asap

Soldato
OP - Get a refund and get a Vega64 with the free games to tide you over. Stick the refund cash in the bank/credit union and sit tight for a few months to see what's happening. The 64 is a very good card and the free games will keep you occupied for a while too :)

Back
Top Bottom