Another eBay headache

Soldato
Can't really decide who I am going to side with on this one.

In one way - as an Ebay seller myself, if I had advertised something to sell and hadn't actually advertised it as collect.... I would be a bit miffed as to why someone would want to collect it at my house ( especially something electrical ) Who's to say you wouldn't pick it up in person, go home - then swap it with your broken one - then arrive back at my door claiming it was faulty. I just don't want some random knowing my address for a start.

Maybe the seller has some way of getting free postage (i.e. - someone they know works for a delivery firm - so they actually get the postage costs as well as the final selling price ) and is a bit annoyed at someone actually wanting to collect in person ( and is therefor trying to recoup the cost via the addtional charge )

Soldato
I'm siding with the buyer.

Sellers should NOT be allowed to charge for collection under any circumstance. Any seller that does is a scab, plain and simple. It removes all possibility of items being damaged in transit by third parties and as for scammers you can always write down serial numbers!

Soldato
But the bottom line is.....

The seller DIDN'T advertise for collection - so the buyer shouldn't have bid if he wanted it refused - or didn't expect the seller to place some additional requirements on the sale of the item. And the seller is no doubt making a bigger profit by selling and posting.

If it was me - I would have agreed to meet the buyer somewhere other than my home - possibly half way between the two parties .... but did the OP even suggest this ??? If the buyer foced me to do a "collect in person" - I would have told him to do one.

The seller originally said a flat-out "NO" to the collect & shouldn't be expected to accomodate "upon persuasion". It's at that point I would have told the potential buyer to forget about the sale. The last thing I want is some random at my house asking why I should charge an extra £5.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I may not be wanted to turn up at their address but them being a business seller their address is listed on the bottom of the ad.

Now as for swapping a knackered unit for a working one...no?! I would not do that! And as said what are serial numbers for?!

Back
Top Bottom