Another EU Gem incoming?

Permabanned
I treat speed limits as advisory I must admit. I see little to no reason to actually drive at 20 in 20mph limits, its retarded.

I never even realised Edinburgh had blanket 20 speed limits whenever I visited previously, I was rocking around at the usual 30-33 as one does. No children died, no orphans were made, the world did not stop turning.

A little more careful now watching out for the rozzers, but one of my vehicles has laser jammers so generally switch them on if feeling particularly paranoid.

Don't most cars already log this?

Even my old E39 records the speed at any error activation and deployment of airbags triggers an error activation.

Yeah sure plenty do, but things like the speed warnings (traffic signal recognition I think most call it) are on standard on high end and quite expensive options on lower models.

I treat speed limits as advisory I must admit. I see little to no reason to actually drive at 20 in 20mph limits, its retarded.

I never even realised Edinburgh had blanket 20 speed limits whenever I visited previously, I was rocking around at the usual 30-33 as one does. No children died, no orphans were made, the world did not stop turning.

A little more careful now watching out for the rozzers, but one of my vehicles has laser jammers so generally switch them on if feeling particularly paranoid.

So your exactly the person we do need to monitor more. Your the perfect case for why this needs to be rolled out.

100% serious.

What.. someone who has 25+ years no claims and not a single accident in their adult life?

Yeah... I am a reckless villain who must be monitored at all costs!

So I am the same yet i can understand how sticking to limits in built up areas is safer than one who cant

Just think how good a driver you would be if you followed the laws as well ;)

Soldato
What.. someone who has 25+ years no claims and not a single accident in their adult life?

Yeah... I am a reckless villain who must be monitored at all costs!

Exactly, same here. A better safety record than the AVs :D

I don't think I've ever seen someone stick to a 20mph limit, anywhere. They are talking about reducing some to 15mph, which seems pointless. In some city centers the cyclists are far more dangerous than the cars, they'll go right through red lights at crossings at full pelt and miss you by inches.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Even my old E39 records the speed at any error activation and deployment of airbags triggers an error activation.

If airbag deployment alone is enough to trigger an engine management light it would be logged. OBD as a protocol/specification captures freeze frame data when a fault is logged and speed is included as part of that

Permabanned
Exactly, same here. A better safety record than the AVs :D

I don't think I've ever seen someone stick to a 20mph limit, anywhere. They are talking about reducing some to 15mph, which seems pointless. In some city centers the cyclists are far more dangerous than the cars, they'll go right through red lights at crossings at full pelt and miss you by inches.

15??! Surely not? Most cars would struggle to maintain this properly, talk about extra pollution and fuel consumption. Id be getting done for speeding on my pushbike most certainly.

Caporegime

The vast majority these days do, as you say mid 90’s era BMW’s record all kinds of stuff (average speed, engine rpm etc etc) modern ones very much more.

I think Joe public will be up in arms about this without realising (unless they’ve been involved in a serious RTA where their car has been interrogated) that all this stuff is readily available to the authorities from any car pretty much early 90’s onwards which is by far the vast majority on the roads today.

A good thing overall, the minority of morons will still drive like tools no matter what but this will make the sheep sit up and take heed (hopefully!)

Permabanned
Sounds like something relevant to whether you were paying attention when your automated car crashes.
If you were awake you should have turned the wheel or pressed a pedal etc.
If no input, then driver not paying attention = no blame for the manufacturer?

Soldato
I'm kind of looking forward to the days of driverless cars in the hope that this creates more of the idea that driven cars are then for fun and recreation. Hopefully giving us more tracks and things around the place for us to play with our Neanderthal toys. :) (Of course there's always the option that we end up with driverless cars and no fun places for our old cars... :()

Soldato
"The various systems proposed by the European Commission are projected to save 25,000 lives over 16 years"

Seems worth it to me.

A serious drop in road casualties may even delay fully autonomous because one of the perceived benefits from autonomous is that they will be safer.
If in normal driving tech can be employed to make the average driver safer then surely thats good

LOL. "save 25000 lives over 16 years".

Is that seriously how they sell this crap to people? Anyone buying this nonsense, simply has no idea what's going on lol.

You could "save" 25000 lives by just improving driving standards and stopping making roads purposefully dangerous.

First they start giving out licences to people who cant drive and kill people, and start designing roads in a way to increase accidents, and then they sell us martial law/police state devices under the guise of "saving lives"

Prime example of:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/problem-reaction-solution

Soldato
Not going to happen under EU privacy laws.

GPS tracking already happens lol. How does EU privacy laws stop GPS tracking?

Otherwise things like google maps wouldn't work on your phone lol.

Heck they go one step further and use GPS to geolocate wifi APs lol.

Soldato
GPS tracking already happens lol. How does EU privacy laws stop GPS tracking?

Otherwise things like google maps wouldn't work on your phone lol.

Heck they go one step further and use GPS to geolocate wifi APs lol.

You can turn google off. It's not mandatory to use it.

When GM Europe introduced OnStar they had to include a way of ensuring that the user could hide their location. And even then, the OnStar team could only use the location at the request of he user (i.e. asking for directions or in an emergency).

p.s. adding 'lol' to every sentence really doesnt help your arguments :p

Caporegime
I think your attitude is the retarded thing here, limits are there for a reason as you’ll eventually find out on the speed awareness course you’ll end up on sooner or later.

Soldato
LOL. "save 25000 lives over 16 years".

Is that seriously how they sell this crap to people? Anyone buying this nonsense, simply has no idea what's going on lol.

Yep, it is. They wouldn't even be able to accurately measure an impact that small. It's political fluff to sell some crap. You'd probably find they have shares in the company making the devices :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom