1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another green initiative backfires?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mmj_uk, May 15, 2019.

1. mmj_uk

Capodecina

LED light can damage eyes, health authority warns

The French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (ANSES) have warned in a 400 page report that high intensity LED light bulbs can cause retinal cell damage, it mainly affects street/vehicle lights and bulbs of high intensity rather than household bulbs/devices but apparently the latter can affect sleep.

There is a recommendation for household bulbs though:

So thanks to the green movement and government do-gooders we now have more pollution on our roads from diesel cars and people walking around half blind. Talk about creating a better future.

2. The_Abyss

Capodecina

It is hardly breaking news, is it? Iphones, and I’m sure others, have had auto settings for ages to warm the colours in the evenings.

3. Thecaferacer

Gangster

Anyone who has 4000k LEDs in their house other than a bathroom was mad anyway. It's like living in a laboratory.

LEDs in lighting is the least of our problems with so many people addicted to multiple screens. LEDs rock compared to filaments.

4. Mason-

Mobster

To be fair I think something needs to be done about modern car led headlights they are ridiculous. Doesn’t help that there’s so many people with badly adjusted ones too.

5. azazl187

Wise Guy

I don't think the idea is to look directly at them... Its like saying that looking at the sun hurts your eyes.

Are people really that stupid these days!?

6. Rossi~

Capodecina

Literally have 4000K everywhere except bedroom lamps :D

4000K is a nice white-white, not a blue-white. Can't stand any cooler than about 4200K.

7. Jumper118

Mobster

Breathing can damage health too. If you breathe for a really long time you die. They should put a health warning on air.

8. chroniclard

Capodecina

Sub par raging thread 3/10, would not read again.

9. MonkeyMan

Soldato

Pfft still too white, nice soft 2700k bulbs is where it's at. Although they are quite hard to find cheap so 3000k is acceptable :p

Don't all really bright lights cause eye damage? Car LED headlights are ridiculous though so yeah happily ban them, get rid of the stupidly bright brake lights as well.

10. adolf hamster

Soldato

Isnt this just confirmation that modern led headlights are too damn bright?

11. Dis86

Capodecina

Pretty much!

12. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

So you're saying I shouldn't have replaced all of my light fittings with ultra high brightness car headlights?

13. Werewolf

Commissario

It's a shock, that looking into really bright lights may be bad.

I wish I'd known that before I bought that 5,000,000 candle power spot light to read with, and maybe the ww2 surplus searchlight was a bit OTT to light up the garden when the PIR went off but I was fed up of my 500 watt halogen not doing the job.

Having said that, I do understand what they're saying about some of the car lights, as they can be stupidly bright and if they hit you in the face due to bad alignment at night they can mess your sight up for a while, and that's having passed through (in my case) two sets of glass, so I can imagine that at closer range/prolonged exposure would be bad.

14. Stretch

Capodecina

Well that's conclusive. We should start building coal fired power plants, embrace a flat earth, stop getting our children vaccinated, erect several walls and make others pay for them and leave the European Union without any deals except those than involve Mr Putin riding a horse.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  15. Thecaferacer

Gangster

I had 8w 4000k in my old bathroom. It was like looking at the atomic tests everytime I switched the light on when I needed a slash at night.

16. robfosters

Caporegime

LED lamps set off my ocular migraines if I look directly at them too closely.

17. neil_g

Sgarrista

Funny, my euro6 diesel puts out less pollution than most of my old cars.

18. Rossi~

Capodecina

8W is quite blinding. Mine are 3W 230~lm

19. Orionaut

Soldato

I dont think that is actually the problem.

Reading the various articles. I think The problem is a bit more subtle than that.

It is more like staring at an eclipse.

Normally our eyes are only exposed to high levels of blue light during daytime.

Daytime light is bright, so our pupils are small and the retina is protected from the damage cause by the blue end of the spectrum. even glancing at the Sun during daylight hurts because the amount of light in total overloads the eyes and causes pain.

At night however, and even under artificial light, the total amount of light is far less. so the pupils open wide. We have evolved on the "Assumption" that under low light levels, there is little blue spectrum present, so we do not need to protect from it.

Unfortunately LED's seem to be both nowhere near as bright as full daylight (So wide pupils) but nevertheless have a large quantity of blue spectrum energy which the wide pupils now admit to the retina to cause damage that would not occur when exposed to far brighter daylight.

Much like since the way that sice to total amount of light during an eclipse is low, so the pupils are wide and no pain reflex forces us to look away, the sliver of sunlight that you can see around the edge of the moon is still as intense as full sunlight and will burn a hole in your retina without causing any immediate discomfort.

20. 200sols

Wise Guy

Generally, yes they are.