Another green initiative backfires?

Caporegime
LED light can damage eyes, health authority warns

The French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (ANSES) have warned in a 400 page report that high intensity LED light bulbs can cause retinal cell damage, it mainly affects street/vehicle lights and bulbs of high intensity rather than household bulbs/devices but apparently the latter can affect sleep.

There is a recommendation for household bulbs though:

For domestic lighting, ANSES recommended buying "warm white" LED lighting, limiting exposure to LED sources with a high concentration of blue light, and avoiding LED screens before bedtime.

So thanks to the green movement and government do-gooders we now have more pollution on our roads from diesel cars and people walking around half blind. Talk about creating a better future.

Associate
Anyone who has 4000k LEDs in their house other than a bathroom was mad anyway. It's like living in a laboratory.

LEDs in lighting is the least of our problems with so many people addicted to multiple screens. LEDs rock compared to filaments.

Soldato
To be fair I think something needs to be done about modern car led headlights they are ridiculous. Doesn’t help that there’s so many people with badly adjusted ones too.

Soldato
I don't think the idea is to look directly at them... Its like saying that looking at the sun hurts your eyes.

Are people really that stupid these days!?

Soldato
Literally have 4000K everywhere except bedroom lamps :D

4000K is a nice white-white, not a blue-white. Can't stand any cooler than about 4200K.

Pfft still too white, nice soft 2700k bulbs is where it's at. Although they are quite hard to find cheap so 3000k is acceptable :p

Don't all really bright lights cause eye damage? Car LED headlights are ridiculous though so yeah happily ban them, get rid of the stupidly bright brake lights as well.

Commissario
It's a shock, that looking into really bright lights may be bad.

I wish I'd known that before I bought that 5,000,000 candle power spot light to read with, and maybe the ww2 surplus searchlight was a bit OTT to light up the garden when the PIR went off but I was fed up of my 500 watt halogen not doing the job.

Having said that, I do understand what they're saying about some of the car lights, as they can be stupidly bright and if they hit you in the face due to bad alignment at night they can mess your sight up for a while, and that's having passed through (in my case) two sets of glass, so I can imagine that at closer range/prolonged exposure would be bad.

Soldato
Well that's conclusive. We should start building coal fired power plants, embrace a flat earth, stop getting our children vaccinated, erect several walls and make others pay for them and leave the European Union without any deals except those than involve Mr Putin riding a horse.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a shock, that looking into really bright lights may be bad.

I dont think that is actually the problem.

Reading the various articles. I think The problem is a bit more subtle than that.

It is more like staring at an eclipse.

Normally our eyes are only exposed to high levels of blue light during daytime.

Daytime light is bright, so our pupils are small and the retina is protected from the damage cause by the blue end of the spectrum. even glancing at the Sun during daylight hurts because the amount of light in total overloads the eyes and causes pain.

At night however, and even under artificial light, the total amount of light is far less. so the pupils open wide. We have evolved on the "Assumption" that under low light levels, there is little blue spectrum present, so we do not need to protect from it.

Unfortunately LED's seem to be both nowhere near as bright as full daylight (So wide pupils) but nevertheless have a large quantity of blue spectrum energy which the wide pupils now admit to the retina to cause damage that would not occur when exposed to far brighter daylight.

Much like since the way that sice to total amount of light during an eclipse is low, so the pupils are wide and no pain reflex forces us to look away, the sliver of sunlight that you can see around the edge of the moon is still as intense as full sunlight and will burn a hole in your retina without causing any immediate discomfort.

Back
Top Bottom