Another irritating SPEC ME thread...Bike Helmet!

Associate
Im looking for a cheap (sub £70) full face bike helmet.
Is there a certain one that represents great value for money that i should know about? What do you recommend?

TIA

Doosht

Soldato
Not really.

Fit and comfort are the most important aspects of ANY helmet.

However, the HJC CS-12 is a very good helmet, around £80.
In one of the tests buy either Ride or Bike magazine it came higher in saftey tests than a £400 AGV!

Bit heavy and the vents look crap.

Soldato
I think you'd be hard pushed to find a helmet on sale in the UK that hasn't passed the relevant safety tests. As has been said above, the fitment is the most important aspect of a helmet.
Places like JS Accessories have a great selection of lids ranging from £50 Nitro or Sharks, to £500 Arai and Shoei's.
There is a lot of lid snobbery in the biking world, but don't feel pressured by comments like "how much is your head wroth?" as will normally come up in these types of thread.
Comfort and fit if got wrong will be far more dangerous that a cheap helmet as it will take your attention from the road.

I would always buy a lid from a shop rather than online. Even if you find a lid that is comfortable when tested, there is no guarantee that the same lid bought online will have the same fit. I've tried several theoretically identical lids on, each with very different fits.

Associate
well yes some of what emailiscrap has siad is true. but you get what you payfor, it's not just about safety, its also about quality as well, a £70 crash hat is going to save you in some crashes, but not be that comfy or last as long or look as nice, it wont have good features that say a middle spec hat will have, if your going to have it for a while get a good one, I always use to have a top limit of £150 for a hat, but recently bought a shoei(£300) and the differance in materials and finish is dramatic. plus it has usefull things like anti scratch anti fog and other stuff that you can live without but make life that little bit better on a daily basis.

bullit

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Doosht said:
there must be one that represents great value though?
I haven't found one in that price bracket that hasn't been noisy or sounded like a washing up bowl when you tap it. If you can stretch up to £100 you'll get a much nicer lid and the choice at that range is far wider :)

Also watch out buying them cheaper on eBay because apparently sometimes you can get the the foreign model. They are exactly the same stack hat but not kitemarked which makes them illegal in the UK :(

Back
Top Bottom