Today's mass shooting in the US

Soldato
Surely banning semi automatic rifles and only allowing bolt action would make sense?

Yes and no. There needs to be certain restrictions in place certainly as semi auto is much more deadly due to the sheer speed in which it can fire. Although pretty much any gun in a situation like this is going to end the same so there needs to be other measures introduced too.

Not to mention a lot of bolt action rifles can fire extremely quickly. Lee Enfields can fire 20-30 accurate rounds a minute in skilled hands.

Man of Honour
OP
Yes and no. There needs to be certain restrictions in place certainly as semi auto is much more deadly due to the sheer speed in which it can fire. Although pretty much any gun in a situation like this is going to end the same.

Not to mention a lot of bolt action rifles can fire extremely quickly. Lee Enfields can fire 20-30 accurate rounds a minute in skilled hands.

In a lot of those cases you see on YouTube, etc. showing off bolt action performance you are talking in the hands of a skilled and experienced shooter who happens to have a talent for it - in the hands of the average person they won't produce anything like that kind of performance.

Often in these mass shooting cases the vast number of fatalities happen in the opening 30 seconds or so - especially with bursts of automatic fire or rapid semi-auto before people have had time to react - it is much harder to shoot a moving target with a bolt action weapon once people are alerted for most people than even semi-auto where you aren't adjusting your hands between shots (other than trigger finger).

That still won't remove the need to make sure that it is very hard for someone who everyone knows shouldn't own a gun from owning one especially younger people with very little to no checks or accountability.

Even as someone relatively pro-gun I don't see the need, outside of specific cases like people who live in areas inhabited by dangerous animals, etc. for most people to own weapons capable of semi let alone full automatic fire - even in the context of the second amendment a militia with numbers on their side (which is the only way it would work) would still be workable with straight pull/bolt action weapons.

Soldato
In a lot of those cases you see on YouTube, etc. showing off bolt action performance you are talking in the hands of a skilled and experienced shooter who happens to have a talent for it - in the hands of the average person they won't produce anything like that kind of performance.

Often in these mass shooting cases the vast number of fatalities happen in the opening 30 seconds or so - especially with bursts of automatic fire or rapid semi-auto before people have had time to react - it is much harder to shoot a moving target with a bolt action weapon once people are alerted for most people than even semi-auto where you aren't adjusting your hands between shots (other than trigger finger).

That still won't remove the need to make sure that it is very hard for someone who everyone knows shouldn't own a gun from owning one especially younger people with very little to no checks or accountability.

Even as someone relatively pro-gun I don't see the need, outside of specific cases like people who live in areas inhabited by dangerous animals, etc. for most people to own weapons capable of semi let alone full automatic fire - even in the context of the second amendment a militia with numbers on their side (which is the only way it would work) would still be workable with straight pull/bolt action weapons.

I know someone who has never shot such a bolt action is never going to throw out these numbers but they are still designed to shoot a lot faster than most bolt actions will. I've shot one once before in the past and as someone who has never shot one before it was easy over the 20 rounds I had shot to start to grasp the technique and by the end I was starting to shoot pretty rapidly (still not these numbers) as afterall they were designed this way to do so in the war.

I was just simply stating that any gun in the right hands has the potential of causing such damage (it was quite obvious the shooter here was well prepared and trained as most will be wanting to carry out a similar situation).

There needs to be more checks and restrictions with semi autos definitely (I too see no need for them to exist to the public) but also more checks (mental health, age etc) and restrictions to stop this happening with ANY type of gun. As it could quite easily be someone who has practiced/trained for days, weeks before carrying out such an attack.

Soldato
Never going to happen. To late in the day, the genie is out of the bottle. While it sounds good in theory banning semi-autos you have to pass leglisation to do so and for most pliticians that would be commiting political suicide and not being re-elected. Any attempt at limiting peoples right to exercise the second amendment will be presented by lobby groups as an attack on the second ammendment by a government that a lot of people already distrust. The NRA will emphaises the government are targeting law abiding citizens while letting gangs/criminals keep their automatic guns and that's a valid point to be honest. They can stroke the fires and stir up civil unrest and that civil unrest could be very confrontational. Also it would be a lot harder to enforce than many people imagine as many people wouldn't abide by the law in the same way many people didn't accept prohibition.

Stoping nutjubs obtaining semi-autos is a good idea in principle but doing it without any fallout is very difficult.

EDIT : The reasoning behind restricting semi-autos may not be to attack the second amendment but the gun lobbies will do a very good job of convincing people it's an attack and the first step in the repeal of the second amendment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never going to happen. To late in the day, the genie is out of the bottle.

It's this positive, go getting attitude that makes the world what it is today!

While it sounds good in theory banning semi-autos you have to pass leglisation to do so and for most pliticians that would be commiting political suicide and not being re-elected. Any attempt at limiting peoples right to exercise the second amendment will be presented by lobby groups as an attack on the second ammendment by a government that a lot of people already distrust.

That might be true apart from the fact that maybe, as some polls indicate, the majority of Americans are now in favour of some form of gun control. And before the NRA advocates get all hysterical, gun control doesn't mean banning all guns. So in complete opposite to politicians committing political suicide over this issue, they could pick up on the majority sentiment of the electorate. So they either haven't picked up on that sentiment or the lobbyists you mentioned, put millions of dollars in their pockets to keep the status quo, irrespective of the populous' wishes.

I know which i'd put my money on.

Permabanned
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Why get so worked up over your God given right to bear arms but ignore the rest of it.

A well regulated militia, where is this bit, where is the regulation, where is the militia, hypocrites, much like all the Americans who claim to be christian.

Need to stop hiding behind archaic outdated terms.

Wise Guy
Soldato
The militia was/is simply all able bodied men in the state aged 16-45 equipped with their own private arms. That's it. And within the context "well regulated" seems to mean well supplied, quickly able to be brought in to service, a regular supply of armed civilians.

verb
past tense: regulated; past participle: regulated
control or maintain the rate or speed of (a machine or process) so that it operates properly.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Why get so worked up over your God given right to bear arms but ignore the rest of it.

A well regulated militia, where is this bit, where is the regulation, where is the militia, hypocrites, much like all the Americans who claim to be christian.

Need to stop hiding behind archaic outdated terms.

Man of Honour
OP
Trump has banned bump stocks apparently, it's a start I suppose.

Better than nothing and maybe will get a little traction going - though they've not been used in that many shooting incidents their potential for carnage in one is nasty and the justifications for owning one thin and little reason why they can't be regulated in the small number of cases there might be a valid reason.

I suspect largely its a token appeasement though towards those protesting.

Soldato
I dunno, AR15's are single fired like hand guns, those bump stocks literally do turn them into absolute monsters in comparison. Like you said, it's better than nothing and if some traction could be gained then that would a great step in the right direction. If I remember rightly, Trump is very anti guns.

Man of Honour
OP
If I remember rightly, Trump is very anti guns.

Not sure on that - his son is very pro-gun IIRC and he (Donald Trump) was quite enthusiastic about having a special edition 1911 made for him:

l51O3yr.jpg

Not sure that Trump is very anti-gun :s

Back
Top Bottom