Another model in progress - 1/32 British Apache Longbow (image heavy)

Soldato
Hi all

Progress has been slow on this - my son Harrison was born 5 weeks ago so babies and my hobby are not exactly what I'd call compatible :o :D

nVwgl.jpg

Anyway - this is my lates project - I'm converting a very old 1/32 Revell kit of an early 'A' model Ah-64 Apache to a current 'D' model WAH-64 flown by the Army Air Corps.

Not an easy task as the differences are considerable - I've had to scratchbuild an entirely new cockpit as the old one was analogue and completely different to the Longbow cabin. Externally the avionics bays either side ofthe fuselage are much larger and wider to accomodate the massive amount of electronics and equipment used by the updated model - again all scratchbuilt with plastic card.

Chain gun detai lreplaced and upgraded, scratchbuilt radar dome and column, plus all the lumps and bumps that the HIDAS system is bolted to on the British version of this helicopter.

Its a big model, it's going to be even bigger once I get the blades on so transporting it to shows is going to be a challenge - one thing is for sure though, you won't see many Longbows in this scale !

wah2.jpg

sponsons1.jpg

scribedsponson.jpg

m230.jpg

pittestinstall2.jpg

pitnearly1.jpg

seats.jpg

vents.jpg

completepanels.jpg

upperswashplate.jpg

ttsji.jpg

WuWPT.jpg

6z4ws.jpg

hlbqY.jpg

V4Xip.jpg

FPji2.jpg

mAtzE.jpg

jtYbJ.jpg

Oxdgi.jpg

more to come soon ...

Associate
Ah the Apache, my all time favourite aircraft.

The model is looking good, especially the scratch built parts. You must have quite a bit of patience and a steady hand, both of which I seem to lack, normally resulting in "that'll do".

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Soldato
OP
So does baby ride Apache once done?

How cool would that be :D

cheers guys - its a long term project so something that I put aside and pick up whenever I get the chance and the motivation to do a bit. Because I'm taking so long I can afford to be picky and not move on until every bit I'm working on looks 'right', as soon as I get the engine pods finished (fairy shortly) the project will take a big step forward as I can start some serious painting.

Glad you like it :)

Soldato
God I can't wait to be in my new house and get the garage setup as my modeling area. I have a 1/200 model of the bismarck waiting to be finished plus about 8 other models I want to complete and have the kits for lol.

Can't wait to start work on the SR-71 Blackbird and the Vulcan models I have, I think they'll look awesome.

Soldato
Great model as ever Skii...have to confess my interest in the hobby has waned a little, no longer do I post often on Britmodeller but I expect I will return one day...still got an epic stash of 1/48 jets to build and I expect I'll come back to it.

What are you going to do for the CRV-7 rocket pods? Can't see the rounded front with 19 holes being an easy part to scratchbuild myself!

Soldato
OP
What are you going to do for the CRV-7 rocket pods? Can't see the rounded front with 19 holes being an easy part to scratchbuild myself!

Hey Will, modelling is funny like that isn't it? Very easy to go completely off the hobby only to find at a later stage in life the bug bites again and all of your paints have gone solid...!

you'll pick it back up soon I'm sure as you used to do some lovely in-flight stuff if I recall correctly ?

The rocket pods are in-hand. I drilled the 19 holes through a block of styrene card sandwiched together - then sanded the block into a dome shape. (one of a few early attempts on the left!)

rocket3.jpg

I've got it looking a lot sharper and cleaner than it looks in this early photo, but I'll be sending this off to my mate Mike along with the HIDAS sensors for him to cast in resin and knock out a few copies :)

Soldato
That looks awesome, I find scratchbuilding often quite frustrating myself! Its the little bits that add to the looks and they are the hardest.

You're right about it being a hobby to dip in and out of, I do model but very rarely, got another 1/48 Tornado (Italeri/Flightpath/various) on the go at the mo and its heavy going, been at it a few months and not got much done....last thing I actually finished was a Tamiya F-16 so working with this basic kit is a bit of a pain frankly. You don't fancy moulding a few bits to model 1/48 Paveway IVs and sending those off for Mike to mold do you?! Still can't believe nobody has done them given how many other obscure items you can buy.

Soldato
Sorry mate forgot to say how good your model is looking, nice job. I'd love to scratch build a 1/200 Hood ship but that is quite some undertaking. So much respect on scratch building parts for your model.

I too have left my ship for around 2 years now, and I am slowly getting the bug again but its now a pain to try and remember where I got upto on my build lol.

Back
Top Bottom