Another salary discussion

Associate
Hi all,

A little background first. Up untill 13 months ago, I was working as a full time QA Manager in Belfast, running a small team of QA engineers. 38k p/y. Few work from home days per year, healt, dental and eye care, as well as childcare vouchers.

I somewhat lucked into a job as an IT Manager, for a company that plays a huge part in my hobby also, so I was happy at the time to take the same 38k p/y for the role but without the benefits with an agreed relocation to Scotland. The reason I say I lucked into it is am a QA engineer, not a it manager. So they took a huge chance in going with me to begin with.

This is where it get real troublesome. Over the past year I have been looking for some where to live that offers the same level of living standard but that proving extremely hard for the same monthly rent outlay. (£200 p/m difference) So there is moot point 1.

Secondly, Ill be in relocating to sit in an office with one man 90% of the time. There are 3 other staff members who all work remotely. (small company) In the last 13 months I have worked remotely, visited the office at least once every 6 weeks and all has been going well, no complaints about commutation, or work output.

Thirdly, I have been working almost every weekend at some point in the last 6 months. Only recently when I had enough and complained, that I have the last 2 off free and clear.

Just on that, once I complained, I was reassured that what I was doing work wise was business critical for the future of the company. And it very much is. And that I was also business critical to achieving it.

As it stands, I can get work in Belfast around the 45k mark for just QA work, more if I go for a lead technical role. For those in IT, the ITM role is full hands on technical. I need to do it all, development, testing, design, cost analysis, staff training, support for in office and 24/7 infrastructure support.

I had a poke around glassdoor for the same role in the area, and they return mid 40s to 60k.

In my opinion, and I may get forum shot for this, but I feel I need 10K rise to remain working in Ireland at this ITM level and responsibility, and 15K more if I am to relocate. There is no point relocating to live a sub-parr standard off living compared to what you left behind, just for a job.

However, this job/company is massive in my hobby area, and I can make a real difference to who things are done, not just locally but long term, globally.

Am I being unreasonable is my main question before I tackle the CEO an get told to away with myself.

Caporegime
Slightly confusing - have you already moved or have you spent the past 13 months working from home in Belfast albeit for this new company with the agreement to relocate (which you're due to do now)? While it sounds like you perhaps would be worth more and perhaps should have asked more for the role it would have been better to do this 13 months ago when you negotiated for it and agreed to relocate rather than accept the role, accept relocating and then suddenly ask for more money when you actually have to relocate.

Also do you not have an annual pay review? I think it is entirely reasonable to ask for more money each year based on your performance etc.. but I think it would be unreasonable to ask for additional money on the basis of having to relocate if you already agreed to relocation and to the package for that when you signed up in the first place.

Associate
You can ask but your salary reflects your lack of experience in the role and the risk the company took. I think looking at other It positions is giving you the wrong idea as they are for people IT managers with proven experience and track records which you just don't have. You are more valuable in QA as that where your experience lies.

You chose to go for an IT management position for a reason, if those reasons still exist that led to taking the drop in benefits and possibly lifestyle then you should probably ask for a raise and stick with what is a starter IT job whilst you gain experience. I doubt they'll find you 10k though and you'll still have to relocate.

Or go back to QA if the money is there for you.

Soldato
I agree with others - you took the job @ £38k. No one forced you to do so. If anything, you should have negotiated a salary at that time, not 13 months into the job.

You signed up to relocate @ £38k and now you need to move......You knew that was coming. You should have researched the potential rent/relocation situation at the time.

Asking for £15k annual increase (around 40% wage hike) to relocate is frankly ludicrous.

Back
Top Bottom