Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
Following on from the success of the Sansaire, there's a new sous vide device on Kickstarter. And if you get in there quick, it's $99 including shipping - at time of writing, there were 234 left of 1000 models.

That's an utter bargain for something like this, especially as this seems to have some really interesting features over the original Anova and even the Sansaire and PolyScience equivalents.

Thought it might be interesting for those who missed out on the last one!

EDIT: Here's an interesting Serious Eats article on the new Anova that's worth a read for anyone interested in the tech.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
All gone at the Founders Club pricing - that went stupidly quick. $100,000 target has been reached and exceeded in record time.

EDIT: Apologies for getting a tad over-excited - could a passing mod tidy my hyperactive ramblings up into a single reply to my OP, please?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry, FT - was desperately trying to find a way to get in touch with you quickly as I know you really liked the idea of the Sansaire but missed the boat on that one.

$129 is definitely still worth it though.

Man of Honour
Sorry, FT - was desperately trying to find a way to get in touch with you quickly as I know you really liked the idea of the Sansaire but missed the boat on that one.

$129 is definitely still worth it though.

No need to apologise - if I hadn't been busy sorting a few things out in the house the email would have reached me in time I suspect.

$129 still seems like a steal to me. $99 would have been even better but I'll live :p

Soldato
Damnit, I so totally didn't need to see this thread! I've been after a sous-vide for a while now, and was looking at the Sansaire but just never ordered one. Now that I've read about that, and the Serious Eats article, I just placed an order for $129. What a bargain, and I'm really pleased that you don't need a vacuum sealer for it either. Bonus!

Man of Honour
Damnit, I so totally didn't need to see this thread! I've been after a sous-vide for a while now, and was looking at the Sansaire but just never ordered one. Now that I've read about that, and the Serious Eats article, I just placed an order for $129. What a bargain, and I'm really pleased that you don't need a vacuum sealer for it either. Bonus!

Hmm.. I don't see why you wouldn't need a vacuum sealer? Though you can get around such things by using freezer bags and immersing the bag in water to push the air out in a pinch.

Man of Honour
Yeah the guide itself says you don't need a vacuum sealer at all :)

Are you referring to this?
For years people have called this type of cooking “sous vide,” which is French for "under vacuum." This refers to the process of vacuum sealing food and putting it in a water-bath. However, that's a bit of a misnomer. You don't need to vacuum seal your food to cook sous vide.

If so I would say that although it is technically true you will still need to put your food in a sealed/tied bag with as much as as possible removed from it.

Soldato
Are you referring to this?

If so I would say that although it is technically true you will still need to put your food in a sealed/tied bag with as much as as possible removed from it.

Yeah that's the bit I was on about :)

I know that it'll work best with a vacuum sealer and to be perfectly honest I'll probably have one by the time it arrives. I make a lot of biltong (got 30 pieces on the go right now) and really want a vacuum sealer so that I can seal it and freeze it, but I just thought it was nice that you can cook some food with it without a vacuum sealer :)

Man of Honour
Yeah that's the bit I was on about :)

I know that it'll work best with a vacuum sealer and to be perfectly honest I'll probably have one by the time it arrives. I make a lot of biltong (got 30 pieces on the go right now) and really want a vacuum sealer so that I can seal it and freeze it, but I just thought it was nice that you can cook some food with it without a vacuum sealer :)

The "requirement" for a vacuum sealer put me off sous-vide at first too but you can get away with the dodgy "tie-bag" method with any machine really :)

Soldato
Ordered two of these on the surf n turf $229 deal

Gotta wait until October but I've also ordered a sansaire to tide me over heh

Soldato
Might have to pick one up! Am I right into thinking you could just throw in the vacuum packed frozen meat or fish fillets from the supermarket straight into the pot?

Seems like that would be a pretty easy way to cook stuff?

Back
Top Bottom