Answering phones (for businesses)

Associate
Hi,

What is the generally accepted "correct" way to answer a phone, if its for a business?

I always find it annoying after calling a company, they then say their company name. Of course it is that company when I called them. I can't recall ever calling a wrong number (maybe I just don't call that many numbers not in my phone book or something), so i can't really see the point in those "Hello acme corp, jane speaking" answers...

j/w your thoughts on this matter

Soldato
It's probably to confirm that the person has reached the correct place, and not, in fact, dialled an incorrect number (due to a mistake on their part, or from where the number was retrieved).

Man of Honour
"Hello <company name> my name is <name>" and either leave it there or add "how can I help you" sort of thing, depends if it seems appropriate but unless I think it is an internal call I will use the company name because it is generally deemed more professional to give an introduction and confirm that the client is through to the correct place. You may never have dialled incorrectly but I can assure you I've spoken to scores of people who have dialled incorrectly - some of them even seem to ignore the messages you get when you are on hold which refer to the company.

Soldato
I had to get some new turfs the other day and they answered saying "Hello" I waited 5 seconds and they said it again, so i confirmed "Are you the turf place".

Would have been easier if they said who they were.

Andy

Soldato
28we646.jpg

Gooooood aftanooon madam. ;)

Soldato
If it is an external number:

Hello, <business name> IT Department <name> speaking, how may I help.

Internal name that I recognise:

Hello <their name>

Internal that I do not recognise:

Hello, IT department <name> speaking, how may I help?

It is usually followed by them hanging up though. :(

Soldato
I just say "hello <my name>" as I have a direct dial number which only colleagues and other business associates have, so 99% of the time people know its my they are calling. I work with some people though who just say "hello" or just state their first name or their surname.
Plus I have a Cisco IP phone with caller ID so usually know who it is anyway.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
When I worked at Ramada Jarvis we had a right mouthful

"Good <morning/afternoon/evening> Ramda Jarvis central reservations, my names <name>. How may I help you?"

People used to get tounge tied all the time

Soldato
I was told to say:

Tax department, Sean speaking.

Note: I don't work for HMRC. Please do not come after me with pitchforks. I work for one of the companies who get you out of paying tax.

Back
Top Bottom