Anti Ginger = ok, racism = bad

Permabanned
crunchman said:
Remarks like this don't bother me at all, imo it's just the same as telling a few blonde jokes.

Bingo.

Really, in the great scheme of life and the universe, does me laughing at someone for having a ginger bush matter?

I think it's very stupid to think that jokes about gingers is even in the same league as calling someone a dirty whatever.

Ooooh, you dirty man! :)

*n

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Because slavery and the holocaust is still fresh in our psyche, other forms of prejudice aren't as pressing

I agree with this, we need to enslave or have a genocide of gingers I feel.

Hang on...

wait for it...

A GINGICIDE!

Or is that when a ginger person tops themself?

Soldato
davestar_delux said:
I agree with this, we need to enslave or have a genocide of gingers I feel.

Hang on...

wait for it...

A GINGICIDE!

Or is that when a ginger person tops themself?
lol, ill give you an applause for that one

*stands up and claps*

Soldato
I'm ginger, not bright ginger, but ginger non the less.

I can take the jokes now and they don't bother me, however i didn't understand why other kids were so cruel to me while i was at primary school and some high school, it was just down rigt wicked, made me feel so bad about myself.

that's what gets me about all this, the teachers just laughed it off as like what all the people on here are saying.

as a result i started kicking off on people and lost my temper a lot, there was only so much abuse i could take. funnily enough, after i had cracked a few skulls in the school yard the jokes stopped and then made loads of friends.

I can honestly tell you now that i feel for the ginger kids that dont stand up for themselves and get bullied all through school, it must really, and i mean REALLY affect them.

All i am saying is that the affects of these "jokes" can be a lot more serious than you think to spme people. maybe it would be a good idea to think about what you are saying first before blurting out something that might be really hurtful.

Permabanned
Speaking from experience, the problem with jokes and comments about being ginger, is that there is nothing original. We've heard it all before. On the very rare occasion that someone does come up with something witty and new, I'm the first to laugh, but the rest of it, you know, the pubes, the biscuit references etc. is just soooooo boring.

Permabanned
neocon said:
Why are similar jokes not acceptable when concerning race?

There is a history of bad treatment towards black people. Thats why no jokes can be made about them.

Is this because black people today recall being slaves?
How many more generations have to pass before they can be made fun of in the same way as we mock ginger people?

Man of Honour
VIRII said:
Did you know that arabs used white people as slaves as well?
People from pretty much every racial group have been used as slaves by people from pretty much every racial group. I'd bet good money that some of my ancestors were serfs, i.e. slaves who couldn't be sold separately from land.

So you can't consider irrational prejudice against English and Welsh people funny because "they" were slaves...but you can because "they" were also slaveowners. Ditto for pretty much everyone. Also, what about the "black" people who owned slaves in the USA (and probably the UK too)? Is irrational anti-black prejudice funny because of them?

Maybe the solution is to think of people as individuals rather than interchangeable representatives of some stereotypes.

Associate
arab traders travelling to the west africa that were the most prolific,along with the portugese and of course(everyone else now that i think of it) African tribal leaders.the ashante tribe, originally ghana.Sold slaves to the arab traders,and had the biggest slave trade fort,still there today,although not used for slavery

Caporegime
penski said:
GINGER! KILL IT!

Gingerism is caused by a recessive gene (MC1R if my old school lessons [Mocking Gingers levels one through five] were correct) which means that you're genetically inferior to real people and therefore should not be allowed to breed for the same reason that incest is illegal.

*n

case in point

a post like thiat if aimed at asians or muslims would be deleted.

Yet a post like that aimed at those with ginger hair is deemed ok. Im with the OP here

Discrimating against people because of their size (Fatty !!!), hair colour (Ginger !!!) height (Lanky !!!) is all deemed to be ok by society. But yet discriminating against someone because of their Sex or Skin colour is not.

A person cannot help being ginger, in the same way as a person cannot help having black skin

i do not see any difference between the 2 except for society's perception of what is deemed as acceptable.

but then again, sexual discrimination was deemed acceptable in society of years past. But thats now changed ...

Caporegime
Roduga said:
Isn't that because you can change gender now? :D

no

<serious hat on>

its because society decided it was unfair to deny women oppertunities and equal rights based on their sex. Because society decided that actually, discrimination wasnt fair

but only racial and sexual discrimination mind ...

Seriously, its a hot topic with me. At school, as the OP has point out, call the tall kid a lanky steak of **** and nobody bats an eyelid. Call the asian kid a *** or someother derrogtary remark and you're hauled infront of the head.

Man of Honour
MrLOL said:
Seriously, its a hot topic with me. At school, as the OP has point out, call the tall kid a lanky steak of **** and nobody bats an eyelid. Call the asian kid a *** or someother derrogtary remark and you're hauled infront of the head.

I do or used to get called a lanky **** more or less every other day and it doesn't bother me in the least but it is slightly different to insulting someone based on their ethnic origins, both are something that the individual cannot help but discriminating against someone's race or religion has more insidious and worrying overtones than laughing at someones physical appearance. There are not many occasions in history where being tall, short, thin or fat has lead to any sort of mass genocide, this is slightly different for race. Maybe it is a form of collective guilt, I really don't know but to that extent you are right, it is just a line drawn in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom