Anti Ginger = ok, racism = bad

Soldato
Just a thought after just watching Catherine Tate on BBC. She has red hair, she made lots of jokes in one scene, I have red hair and I found it funny. Why are similar jokes not acceptable when concerning race?

There was an incident at school many years ago when I was school where a Muslim child randomly called me a 'stupid ginger'. I called him a 'stupid ****' as an immediate response to highlight how inappropiate his remark was and yet I was immediately thrust in front of several heads. I attempted to defend my case fairly unsuccesfully.

- 'Ginger' is usally derogatory yet it is still acceptable.
- Having red hair immediately puts one in a smaller minority than being from Pakistan in todays diverse population.
- I have been actually punched in the face before in Southampton by some yobs who said nothing more than 'ginger toff'. The police wouldn't accept my claims that is was tantamount to racial abuse.

I am more in favour of abolishing the taboo concerning race humour as I personally am not particuarly bothered by things like www.gingerkids.org - can you imagine the outrage if someone started www.pakikids.org ?

Soldato
because when somebody makes a joke about having red hair, thats what it is, a simple joke, 99.999% of people just take it and laugh with it as nothing is ment by it.

But if somebody said a joke about an arab and an pakistan walking into a bar, then again 99.999% of people would take offence and the news papers would blow it out of proportion \o/

Soldato
Andr3w said:
because when somebody makes a joke about having red hair, thats what it is, a simple joke, 99.999% of people just take it and laugh with it as nothing is ment by it.

But if somebody said a joke about an arab and an pakistan walking into a bar, then again 99.999% of people would take offence and the news papers would blow it out of proportion \o/

Sad, but true.

Soldato
I agree with what's already been said. It's just like you can get away with saying things to your friends that you couldn't if you said to a stranger - it's clear that it is a joke and nothing bad is meant by it.

fini

Soldato
laissez-faire said:
Just a thought after just watching Catherine Tate on BBC. She has red hair, she made lots of jokes in one scene, I have red hair and I found it funny. Why are similar jokes not acceptable when concerning race?

Because slavery and the holocaust is still fresh in our psyche, other forms of prejudice aren't as pressing

Soldato
As said I think it's mainly because in the past race and religion has cause mass murders and wars being ginger and having the mick taken out of you for the rest of your life is a right of passage :p even the ginger's take the mick as well it's just the way of our culture.

Soldato
its allowed because ginger kids have no soul! /south park

i have 2 very good friends that are ginger, and i'm not talking can get away with calling it brown... bright ginger - and sometimes it upsets them when people make jokes becuase they hear it all the time and it just gets repetitive and annoying.

i think we're becoming a society where everything we say is screened for how it might offend people, and almost to the point of "thought police" - anyone for some 1984

Associate
Yeah, cause when I call someone a "****ing jew" I'm obviously referring to the holocaust? And when I call someone a "dirty ****" or a "******" then I'm insinuating that they're slaves? In my opinion, those citing slavery, etc when dealing with racism are making pretty tenuous links. Taking the mickey out of someone for being short, tall, ginger, blonde, etc. is, in my eyes, the same as racism. Which is why I really couldn't care less about todays political correctness and the need to mince your words to aviod offending people.

daz

daz

Soldato
There hasn't been a history of hundreds of years oppression and institutional bias against gingers. It has nowhere near the same connotation. Suggesting that being ginger and having to put up with a bit of banter now and then is no different than somebody with big ears or an extremely tall person... it's laughable that you think they're comparable.

Permabanned
Because people think it is politically incorrect to make jokes at the expense of other races. But I think it is completely unfair that there can be racist recruitment policies against white English but that’s not racist. How does that work?

Cheshire police, for example, do not want to recruit white males but if you’re from an ethnic minority you get right in. But if it was the other way round there would be outrage.

daz

daz

Soldato
the_brainaic said:
Yeah, cause when I call someone a "****ing jew" I'm obviously referring to the holocaust? And when I call someone a "dirty ****" or a "******" then I'm insinuating that they're slaves?

So it's OK to call a disabled person a ******* spastic? :rolleyes:

Ginger people haven't had a history of being disadvantaged. Whereas up until 40 years ago black people were forced to go to different schools, use different water fountains and different toilets in some parts of the USA.

Soldato
chesterstu said:
Because people think it is politically incorrect to make jokes at the expense of other races. But I think it is completely unfair that there can be racist recruitment policies against white English but that’s not racist. How does that work?

Cheshire police, for example, do not want to recruit white males but if you’re from an ethnic minority you get right in. But if it was the other way round there would be outrage.
Ah, that would be Positive Discrimination. It is flawed to the core.

Associate
daz said:
So it's OK to call a disabled person a ******* spastic? :rolleyes:

Ginger people haven't had a history of being disadvantaged. Whereas up until 40 years ago black people were forced to go to different schools, use different water fountains and different toilets in some parts of the USA.
Where did I mention disabled people? As for anti-black legislation in the USA, I believe that we are in England where this didn't happen. If I called someone a ******, I wouldn't be thinking back to the past.

Permabanned
GINGER! KILL IT!

Gingerism is caused by a recessive gene (MC1R if my old school lessons [Mocking Gingers levels one through five] were correct) which means that you're genetically inferior to real people and therefore should not be allowed to breed for the same reason that incest is illegal.

*n

Associate
When have you ever known anyone to literally hate ginger people, when has there ever been a extremist political party with anti-gingerness as one of there main objectives and when have ginger haired people ever been lynched for being ginger.. never. But all of these are true for skin colour and religious ideology there is no comparison. end of.

Associate
daz said:
There hasn't been a history of hundreds of years oppression and institutional bias against gingers. It has nowhere near the same connotation. Suggesting that being ginger and having to put up with a bit of banter now and then is no different than somebody with big ears or an extremely tall person... it's laughable that you think they're comparable.

You'd be surprised.

I got far more stick in school that the lanky people and fa cup lookalikes. :D

I've had many a discussion with black and muslim mates about the difference between ginger abuse and racial abuse, and they all agree thats its not too dissimilar.

It's socially accepted and will be for some time, I'm not that fussed, I like my hair colour - funky to be different at times.

Back
Top Bottom