Any black cab drivers here?

Caporegime
Is this still an acceptable career for a young man nowadays?

My brother has just passed his test (he's 18). He would love to become a black cab driver and my Dad is willing to subsidise his living costs until he is 21 so that he can do the knowledge. He could still get a part time job as well. But even that's becoming hard now.

However, is it still a plausible trade or are the ever increasing numbers making it difficult? I don't know if there are any black cab drivers on here. If so, any advice for him?

Soldato
Private Hire driver here but I've done the Glasgow Knowledge for Hackney badge

nowhere near what it was years ago, Christ my Uncle was making more back in the 80's than many hack drivers do today so that give you an idea of how things have changed.

lots of changes afoot in both Taxi and PH trade over the next year or 2 with the Law Commission report

if you want a more localised view on how the trade is and what your local knowledge test would be like your better asking somehere like TDO(taxi driver online)

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/

plenty of knowledgable chaps on there and most likely someone who will work your local area who can give you a proper answer and a good insight into your LOCAL trade.

bear in mind knowledge tests are different up and down the country.

London for example is one of the hardest in the world iirc you need to be able to memorise 320 routes and all the streets and landmarks on said routes. which supposedly takes an average of 3 years to learn

Glasgow on the other hand is a 40 question multiple choice and you need to get 75% correct. which you could pass by blind luck.

personally I would suggest for him to start off in PH and build up a good working local knowledge and wait out the thorny issue of the cab act depending on your local authorities stance on deregulation. this could be open season for a lot of people if it happens and I certainly wouldn't be buying into a Hackney plate/car atm

edit just clocked he was only 18 even though most LA restrict PH and Taxi drivers to those over the age of 21 some don't or you if you really wanted to start you could apply then appeal their rejection for age discrimination. but be prepared to be raped for insurance. 6 years in the trade in my 30s and with a hefty NCB and i'm still paying 2 grand a year for each of my policies to put it into comparison same car on a normal SDP policy for me is under £500 taxi and PH insurance is bloody expensive

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't pretend to know much about it, but from what ive read, Cabbies struggle compared to the past.

For one you've got lots of big private taxi firms now, such as Addison Lee who take a lot of business. Another is that so many people cycle commute, which has also lowered the number of taxi fares.

Caporegime
OP
Hi there. I'm doing the knowledge of London myself at the moment, so if it was a London black cabbie he was thinking about I can try and help :)

Are you doing the All London or suburban?

I was quite surprised to see they accept applicants at 18, although you obviously cant get a license until you're 21.

He's not too keen on a ped for learning either. Would a smart car be suitable?

Associate
Are you doing the All London or suburban?

I was quite surprised to see they accept applicants at 18, although you obviously cant get a license until you're 21.

He's not too keen on a ped for learning either. Would a smart car be suitable?

All London badge, hopefully ~8/9 months from getting my it, so I'm pretty far in. 18 is a pretty good age to do it. If he's doing it full time, 3 years should be enough to learn it all and get through the appearances.
Some people do do it in a smart car, but it's really not practical. Scooter or nothing really to be honest. It's not pleasant, in the winter it's horrid. I've never been so cold. That and it's almost inevitable you will have an off. I've had a few, none with any injury thankfully. But doing it in a car will take far longer, you may be paying congestion charges most days on top of all the other costs. I've raked up 30k so far, wouldn't fancy paying out 30ks worth of car maitenance for it.

As for the career myself, I'm lucky as my Dad does it so I have a better idea than most as to what it's like. You will hear a lot of people say that it's not the career it used to be and that "the game's dead mate". But do remember, cabbies do love to complain about things :p. In reality, it can still be a very lucrative career, providing you're willing to do the hours. On a dusk til dawn shift on a fri/sat night, it's not unreasonable to expect to bring in £400 -£500 gross. And it's still busy enough during the week.

I guess it's not an obvious career choice for a young guy, obviously it's not hugely glamorous job, but at the same time it has some bonuses you just will not find in most other careers. The freedom to work when you like, no living between paychecks. No idiotic bosses or co-workers, no fighting for days off work and barring any criminal convictions or debilitating ill-health, it's a job for life. No much to worry about regarding job security.

The knowledge is tough, tougher than I thought it would ever be. The appearances (exams) are far more nerve racking than any exams I did at school. The amount you have to learn is seemingly endless and it requires a lot of hard work. But if you keep at it you will eventually get there. and that's it. No further tests ever, you're then your own man.

So I do recommend it, as long as he doesn't mind driving around for long hours by himself and can put up with the traffic, and obviously climbing the seemingly endless mountain that is the knowledge. I wouldn't really start on private hire to be honest, most places don't want you til you're 21, sometimes 25. You'll be working the same amount for about half the money of a black cabbie really.

There's a good introduction here:
http://www.taxitradepromotions.co.uk/green-badge-knowledge-whats-involved.html

I'd also recommend that if he does do it, join a knowledge school. There's a very good one within a reasonable distance of you here: http://www.wizann.co.uk/
I go to one in West London and it's been invaluable.

At the end of the day, if he does it and decides to go and do something else in later life that option is always there. The taxi will always be there to fall back on. I'm doing it myself for similar reasons. Left school not knowing exactly what I wanted to do, so embarked on this. I want to do a lot of travelling and no other job will offer me the flexibility I want. I may do something else in later life, but for now, I think I will be happy behind the wheel of a taxi. I love driving and I love London, so if he likes both those things, then I'm sure he'll be quite happy being a cabbie.

Give me a shout if you want to know anything else :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Thank you very much. Fantastic post. And as for your last paragraph, that is one of the main appeals of the job to him. You are pretty much guaranteed a job for a life at the age of 21. It's always there to fall back on even if you decide to do something else down the line.

He's gonna think about it some more, as it is no doubt an in depth choice to make.

Unfortunately, he left school with no qualifications due to health reasons. He's fine now though. However, having not one qualification is making his life somewhat difficult, and this is one career where an academic qualification is not necessary.

Man of Honour
That would have to be the strangest taxi ride ever. Finding out the driver is also an OcUKer and talking about all the more well known/annoying members like ElRazur, Penski, Cleanbluesky, VIRII, Basmic, Otacon and Angus Higgins.

Back
Top Bottom