Any boards now supporting AMD Ryzen 5000 chips out the box

Associate
I really would like to avoid doing bios update and flashing the motherboard if I can avoid it, my preference is the x570 tomahawk but it seems that would require me to download the latest update for the board before I can use the 5800x.

So are there any good B550 or X570 boards that already have the necessary updates?

Soldato
Unfortunately none would be guarenteed to be updated although most will probably be by now although it's always worth updating bios regularly near CPU launches especially with AMD as there are quite a lot of bugs on early bios that take a couple of months to be ironed out.

Updating bios is a pretty smooth process nowadays especially with board features like bios flashback which lets you recover a bricked board should anything go wrong.

Associate
Some people are saying it depends on manufacture date. I'v just bought a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master 1.2 and a 5800X. The board serial number starts with 2040, apparently this is the manufacture date (year/week). I'm hoping it supports the 5800X out of the box as it was manufactured early October 2020? On this, does anybody know if Overclockers update Bios's before shipping?

Soldato
I take it you've got the board with you if so they wouldn't have done if you had asked them if it was possible to do this I'm sure they would have done it for you

Associate
The ASUS X570 Dark Hero comes out the box with Ryzen 5000 support but you should be able to update any board that has the 'USB BIOS flashback' functionality (some let you do it with no CPU in the socket)

Associate
OP
Unfortunately none would be guarenteed to be updated although most will probably be by now although it's always worth updating bios regularly near CPU launches especially with AMD as there are quite a lot of bugs on early bios that take a couple of months to be ironed out.

Updating bios is a pretty smooth process nowadays especially with board features like bios flashback which lets you recover a bricked board should anything go wrong.

Not so sure about that the other thread about the x570 Tomahawk has me worried, a lot of people seem to be having issues

Associate
OP
I take it you've got the board with you if so they wouldn't have done if you had asked them if it was possible to do this I'm sure they would have done it for you

Nope I haven't bought a board yet I've been gradually buying my parts but I'm leaving the board towards the end

Soldato
Not so sure about that the other thread about the x570 Tomahawk has me worried, a lot of people seem to be having issues
There are issues with a lot of the boards especially on the early release bios although with agesa 1.1.9.0 and 1.2.0.0 coming out now things are improving.

Associate
It’s really not that bad.

I just received my Gigabyte B550i this month, Sep 2021 (ordered new) and installed the 5800X. After turning it on, (at least I had video output) it did not move past the Aorus logo screen. As I was able to go into the bios screen, I grabbed my laptop, downloaded the latest bios and flashed the board… it’s now working with no issues.

My old MSI B550M Mortar (bought in Feb 2021) worked fine right out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom