Any Brits moved to Aus?

Associate
I applied for one last week through the Seek website in the Perth area (actually I applied for a few!!). Had a really nice email back from one recruitment guy saying that his client had needed to move fast but he liked my experience and skills and that while it may be difficult to get a job while still in the UK it isn't impossible. I got asked the question I seem to be getting a lot though - "when are you relocating to Australia"? I have had this an awful lot when applying for jobs and when I reply back and say "ideally when I have got a job out there" they just reply back and say "sorry can't really help you right now". I do understand this though as they need to fill jobs quick so they can get paid.

I am looking at Perth city so it may be worth looking at Kalgoorlie and other places then - thanks for the advice smelf1

xxalxx - once I reply to this I will see if you have trust enabled so I can email you my CV :)

Yeah no worries, you most likely wont get anything until your here and at that you will need your visa sorted, as its a lot harder to get the 457 sponsored visa. I got my 176 skilled migrant as I was on the SOL list of jobs they wanted so I can free move here and have the same rights etc as a Citizen.

If you get out here if you have relatives or friends who can put you up, take any job to bring in some cash and apply for IT jobs then.

Associate
Yeah being overseas is a killer as people are here and ready for work. Before we got our visa the missus applied for a number of jobs and got nothing back, visa came through, update email sent, three interviews and three job offers!

Associate
Lucky especially in Perth, the current market is rubbish,

And I find the agencies atrocious, they don't even read the cv and don't bother to interview even if you have the quals and experience for the job.

I find when going direct to the companies I am getting a lot further. Its too much of who you know in Perth

I am at the point of renting out my Perth house and moving to Melbourne, if I don't get a new position soon.

Associate
That is my next strategy. I am in the process of compiling a massive list of companies in the Perth and Sydney areas. Once I have a good list I am going to try this approach.

Yep the agencies are knobs for the most part. Direct to the companies you will get better results, the two current interview I had were direct.

And they are higher level jobs than some I applied to with agencies and never got anywhere with them.

There are loads of low level IT jobs and also some higher ones around but being offered well underpaid. Also a good few temp positions but I refuse temp or contract work and am only after Perm.

I have been chasing InfoSec, Manager, lead positions as I was a manager in Ireland, then when I moved here you get dropped down. So took a senior position and moved up. But had enough of where I am an need to change yesterday.

Oh and do you have ITIL, they are obsessed with it here, also Togaf and Prince2 is in demand.

Associate
It took me three months to fill two level 2/3 roles at our place just before Xmas, a lot of people are available, but the general skill set and attitude is very poor indeed.

I am about to advertise another slightly more junior role and am not looking forward to the pain of it all.

Shortest interview I have done yet .. Bloke called Steven...

Me : hi mate, so is it Steven or Steve (being friendly :))
Him : you can call me **** head if you want!
Me : Bye

Associate
It took me three months to fill two level 2/3 roles at our place just before Xmas, a lot of people are available, but the general skill set and attitude is very poor indeed.

I am about to advertise another slightly more junior role and am not looking forward to the pain of it all.

Shortest interview I have done yet .. Bloke called Steven...

Me : hi mate, so is it Steven or Steve (being friendly :))
Him : you can call me **** head if you want!
Me : Bye

Ha ha that's a new one.

I don't know what is happening in the higher level but I am going nowhere fast since I decided I needed a change. I keep getting work over East but my wife loves it in Perth so I am looking for something here.

I know datacom Perth brought in an English lad and he hired all his buddies from the UK to the positions.

I got through the initial, then technical interviews and was picked as the best candidate but the GM decided not to go with me.

It was a Team lead position and the GM's excuse was I had no management experience. I was an IT Manager for 6 years in Ireland and a team lead in Perth for the last 3

Associate
Oh. My. God. I had to lol though

Unfortunately not but I have seen that it is asked for a lot

Yep they all want it, the foundation is all you need and its bloody easy.

Datacom had it as a requirement for the job I went for, but in the interviews I found out they don't use ITIL and no one has it but they would like to start using it.

Man of Honour
I moved there once for three weeks but after mooching around sydney and the gold coast and the barrier reef I cam home before I got stang off a shark or bit off a spider.

Associate
ah they are harmless.

Have only seen one snake in 3 years a baby Dugite(Brown snake) in my back garden at the pool. And that includes the Outback, Mine sites, Nullabor where I have been a lot.

Loads of Red backs always outdoors near sheds and away from humans.

White tips come into the house as they actively hunt and their bite is nasty but again they usually bite when a human stands on or hits one by accident.

That spider in the pic is a harmless huntsman they hunt red backs etc so you want them around and they grow huge and are bloody fast.

Funnel webs are east coast only.

Sharks are bloody everywhere in WA but the whites are usually down south WA, but I scuba dive here and never saw one while diving.

Soldato
Yeah, the huntsies actually make for excellent pest control.

The one in the picture I just ushered outside and left it to roam and do its thing.

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;28032992 said:

I'll address this after work around midnight mag... Thanks guys for all of your help :)

Just done a quick online assessment, apparently I qualify for a 190 or a 489 working visa... Need to research what that actually means though :)

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;28032992 said:
This thread is about a UK citizen actively wanting to become an immigrant so whilst you might think you're being clever, leave your political leanings out of it. You have absolutely nothing to offer in this thread, nothing. There is literally no value you can add.

OP, there are quite a few people actually living in Ozzie who have chimed in but you'll note that they don't all agree on all the same things. Part of that is personal and subjective opinion, part of it is shaped by just the sheer scale of the place (3 time zones!) and the differing views that provokes, and part of it is everything else which moving just about as far away as you can from the UK means to how your life will work out.

The most obvious things I can think of to investigate are:

(1) Housing - Sydney is expensive and its housing costs can make your eyes bleed unless you already have substantial rent or mortgage payments. In case you're taking this lightly, it might be an idea to jump on to one of the Property websites to see exactly what you're looking at.

I'd rather live out of the city, engineering jobs ie factories/mines and what not tend to be rural or at least semi-rural...I'd only be renting anyway as I don't think my lady would want to commit to a mortgage with out really knowing if she could handle being there.

(2) Job opportunities - I know nothing of current trends but Xordium and 1 or 2 others mentioned the health care side of things having peaked and now in real decline. Do your homework.

I'd like to think I could support us both and for her to not haveto work. Although she is more than capable, she's struggling to enjoy work in massively understaffed hospitals though, maybe it's different there?

(3) Cultural fit - All Australians are brilliant and they won't wait for you to ask. They will shout it at you but they will do it in such an infectious way that you won't think they're the asshat they perhaps are. More seriously - and this is a huge generalisation and one I won't apologise too much for - they're upfront, manners be damned, tell it like it is kind of people by and large. In my experience, of course.

I like that

(4) Distance - if you or your partner need to see mum or dad or the inlaws every Sunday for brunch then this will not work. Unless they come with you (do not do this). You can be back in the UK within 30 hours, you can skype in real time, you can call for very reasonable rates but you cannot pop round for a chat with your mates or go and check on your mum's cats.

I'd be happy going back for Christmas but she'd need 2 or 3 trips home a year I reckon.

(5) Health (related to 4) - if people you care about are very old or on the decline in terms of health then have a think about where you want to be.

Oz :)

(6) Networks - one of the reasons we found the UK > NZ move so effortless was that my wife, as a kiwi, already had friends and family in NZ. A lot of ex-pats talk about isolation so bear that in mind when upping sticks to a place where you might not know a single other person.

I have a good friend in Dee Why who's been there a while now. Got some distant relatives in Brisbane too.

(7) Be realistic - it might work or it might not. It's pretty binary I think. Don't go with the expectation that it MUST work, rather that you hope it WILL work. the world is a really big place and different people enjoy living in different places.

If it just aint right I'd like to try Vancouver, but We'll be keeping our house in the UK anyway as a fall back.

(8) Try before you buy - for some reason I can't now see your OP as I type this and can't remember if you've holidayed in Aus. If you haven't, it's a very good thing to do.

Nver left the Northern Hemisphere. How do you cope with water going down the plug hole the wrong way :confused::confused:

(9) - Good on you! - even if you don't do it, or do do it and don't like it, I salute the fact that you're even thinking of it. Good for you.

Cheers man

Certainly some food for thought, thank you guys for all of your advice. That spider though... **** :eek::eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom