Any experiences with Porcelain Veneers?

Associate
Title really, been utilising custom trays / teeth whitening gels for the last few months and my teeth are not the shade I want. I have had a long conversation with my cosmetic dentist, and she has suggested porcelain veneers at the price of £600 per tooth. I would be looking at having approximately 12 teeth done which comes out at £7200. She stated that I should expect 10 years or so out of them before having to have them re-done, but then also stated some people have had them for 40 years. Does this seem accurate?

Anyone on here got Porcelain Veneers, and if so what are your thoughts? Was it worth it, and is the price I have been quoted the going rate? A quick google seems to bring up prices from £200 to £2000 per tooth

Caporegime
thumb_43341_default_news_size_5.jpeg

Soldato
Soldato
Not veneers but I got porcelain crowns about 12 years ago. They told me 10 years but they still seem fine.

Your price seems expensive but I got mine done in Budapest.

Soldato
I got crowns on my front teeth on the NHS when i was 16, as my natural ones were getting a bit thin. They have lasted reasonably well until now at age 31 although are looking a bit worn. My current dentist quoted me around £600 to have them redone. Why are veneers so much dearer?

Permabanned
Title really, been utilising custom trays / teeth whitening gels for the last few months and my teeth are not the shade I want. I have had a long conversation with my cosmetic dentist, and she has suggested porcelain veneers at the price of £600 per tooth. I would be looking at having approximately 12 teeth done which comes out at £7200. She stated that I should expect 10 years or so out of them before having to have them re-done, but then also stated some people have had them for 40 years. Does this seem accurate?

Anyone on here got Porcelain Veneers, and if so what are your thoughts? Was it worth it, and is the price I have been quoted the going rate? A quick google seems to bring up prices from £200 to £2000 per tooth
You would regret it in the long run, there is no going back. once they have been done.

I have been told there are some great product coming out regarding growing back tooth enamel. When you had your teeth whitened did you consumer any dark foods or intensive colour foods. You should really stick with white or very light colored foods to get the best result, drink water or milk only during the treatment a day or two after. I know of a quality phd dentist that developed a safe product he has done a lot of whitening for the stars, I have used once and will use again.

I would not get any fake teeth unless I really needed too.

Associate
Veneers involve cutting a thin layer of enamel to create space for the veneer. Impressions are taken and sent to a laboratory where a technician designs and constructs bespoke veneers for your teeth. They are then cemented on to your teeth.

There are other (less invasive- don't involve cutting tooth away) ways of improving your smile:
Orthodontics (braces)
Composite bonding (composite white filling stuck on to your teeth)
Whitening (which you have already tried)

Getting them done abroad on the cheap- you get what you pay for (avoid!). If you are happy with toilet white porcelain glued to your teeth and destroying lots of tooth tissue- go for it.

If you want a minimally invasive smile makeover- find somewhere local and trusted and go for it!

Soldato
Thanks to fluorosis I have pretty bad mottling on the front of my teeth. Had some veneers put on when I was 13, still got them on 20 years later. I've chipped one, gaps have formed around the tooth and staining builds up over time around the exposed edges. My hygienist has sorted them out pretty good though last year and I'm going to just have them until they break I reckon as the price is crazy for something I had no choice in.

Caporegime
Permabanned
So which great products are coming out or is it just a possibility a few years down the road?

Around 3 years I have been told. Queen Mary's University is currently adjusting it's product. Bristol University testing enamel matrix to be placed on teeth.

https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=jv0qO-4AAAAJ&hl=en

There is Kings college product that passes electrical current into teeth can't remember the product. But it whitens teeth making them tougher when it comes to reducing everyday grinding.

Then there is a product curidont which helps protect teeth and reducing wear.

https://www.reminova.com/

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
Veneers involve cutting a thin layer of enamel to create space for the veneer. Impressions are taken and sent to a laboratory where a technician designs and constructs bespoke veneers for your teeth. They are then cemented on to your teeth.

There are other (less invasive- don't involve cutting tooth away) ways of improving your smile:
Orthodontics (braces)
Composite bonding (composite white filling stuck on to your teeth)
Whitening (which you have already tried)

Getting them done abroad on the cheap- you get what you pay for (avoid!). If you are happy with toilet white porcelain glued to your teeth and destroying lots of tooth tissue- go for it.

If you want a minimally invasive smile makeover- find somewhere local and trusted and go for it!

Many thanks for the detailed response. I have already had orthodontic work, and custom whitening trays as mentioned. The original plan was to utilise composite bonding to adjust my teeth shape, but this was on the basis of me being happy with the shade of white achieved. I am still putting in the whiteners everyday hoping that they can push through this plateau to a whiter shade.

Back
Top Bottom