Any Gigabit modem/router/switch/firewalls available? unusual network setup needed

Soldato
As title, the Netgear DG834 ADSL would be perfect but I need gigabit (i already have the dg834). The NetGear RangeMax NEXT WNR854T gigabit stuff looks ideal but I need it to have built in modem and no wireless at that point.

Its complicated to explain but long story short I need 4 or more port wired gigabit modem/router/firewall only in the loft (all my wired cables route to here)

Downstairs id like a Netgear WNR854T 300Mbps Rangemax NEXT Cable Router, which I could then connect to my 1000mbs wired network for my wireless needs, as well as giving me 4 additional gigabit wired ports, should I need them

I suppose the only way around I can currently see it is this setup:

DG834 (Use this as a modem) and connect that to a WNR854T in the loft and switch off its wireless, and then connect that to another WNR854T downstairs and use that one as a wireless access point, this is silly long arse about way of doing things put its what I need to be done.

All this would be a lot easier if someone made whats basically a DG834 but with gigabit ethernet ports, then all id have to do is stick a WNR854T on one of the available ports, does someone do such a device? ideally netgear?

Im basically trying to serve internet to 3 houses, from an 8mb line, so basically I want a fast internal 1gb network to serve local PC's (they stream movies from my server), then I want a 1gb connected 270/300mb wireless access point for the other 2 houses, 3 PC's on gigabit network, 7 on a wireless draft N network, obviously 7 PC's connected to a wireless access point will need a gigabit internal network for transfering files/stream movies from my server, the internet connection is almost not a problem as they will only be browesing web pages

The reason I need wireless thats not in the loft is it ruins my tv connection, but the prob is all my wires for network run there

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bit hard to understand (sounds like your building Internet 2.0 :p), but if you need gigabit network, then keep the DG834 and just buy a gigabit switch and run any access points you need from that with a cable.

Soldato
OP
ahh yeah sounds good, the only thing im worried about is if I had:

DG834----->GS605------>WNR854T

Obviously all internet requests would root back to the 834 and it would send them to whichever PC was accessing them, albiet via its 100mb port, which is fine I guess for internet size files (is it ? would it be bottle necked ? :confused: ) but if my server was attached to the GS605 and a wireless computer hooked into a WNR854T was accessing my files/movies and streaming them via that it would DEFO go ONLY via those 2 componants wouldnt it ? and not via the 834 ? as it would be setup with the 834 being 'chief' network device, i.e. dns, all network setup etc being 'controlled' by it.

lol internet 2.0 :p nah just me and next door neighbours and gf over the road figured it would be better getting a 8mb 'bussiness' broadband line installed for true unlimited/heavy internet usage, lots more expensive than a home line but between ~10 of us its well cheap, plus we have the benefit of being able to share and stream my amazing dvd collection to all the computers, + iv allocted a 300gb harddrive on my server for all the people to have there own 'folder' on to back up important files, or if they format they can dump files there, obviously for all this constant heavy network usage 1gb is more or less needed, as long as it works :(

Also im assuming the WNR854T is identical in features and use (apart from it has 4 gigabit ports) as the WN802T ?

Also how would DHCP work ? Id like the WNR854T to be that as its the fastest one, but would the 834 be able to send internet to all PC's if it wasnt assigned ? or would the DHCP have to be assinged by the 834 and if it was assigning IP address's would all information HAVE to be routed through the slow 100mb connection ?

Last edited:
Associate
Bit hard to follow exactly what you want but very few of the pc's connected via wireless will benefit from a gigabit link into the rest of the network they are going to choke at the wireless link first particulay if more than 1 pc is active wirelessly.

Sounds as if you need to sort out the TV interference!

Back
Top Bottom