1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any good God games?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by no_1_dave, 29 May 2021.

1. no_1_dave

Soldato

When I was a kid I loved Populous on the Atari, which obviously by todays standards is very basic. Then when I first got into PC gaming I really loved Black & White 1 and 2. I still dabbled in Black & White 2 over the years because nothing similar has (to my knowledge) come out since.

Are there any games along these lines which are more recent and recommended? I remember supporting Goddus on Kickstarter but it was never any good.
    I see a game called Gods was being developed by Roosevelt Games but can't see any updates since 2019 :confused:

2. breadturbo

Mobster

3. Malevolence

Capodecina

Saw thread title and came to post those. Nothing more to add, sorry.

4. Andythe Random

Gangster

Ugh, so disappointed by Godus, the concept was good and the first few minutes gave me such hope.

5. Ninco!

Wise Guy

Populous by Bullfrog (1992). I bought this at the time - I think it was 4 gods playing a board game or something? You raised and lowered land, its been years, always remember it as a quirky game.

Bullfrog who later went on to produce Black and White, always did release some weird games! They would usually build a jaw dropping engine and then add a game (Magic Carpet & Black and White - which was the most overhyped game by PC Zone).

6. no_1_dave

Soldato

7. new boy

Mobster

You have just unlocked memories of me trying to play what I assume was the first black and white on an absolute potato many years ago. - EDIT definitely the first one looking at the case art

Trying to fling fireballs at rival villages @ 2 fps was quite the challenge!

I may even buy one of them again off the back of this thread. I can remember very little of the game, but I remember it was fun despite the performance issues I was facing. Though, I also thought the original runescape was fun around that time, so I'm not sure past me is the most reliable recommendation for fun games!

8. Smokey Deza

Wise Guy

9. jim5000

Hitman

Black & White was so hyped up but was actually a fairly poor game and the monster was mostly a novelty that didn’t live up to all the amazing reviews and previews.

I still have nightmares about that ship of singing pirates that you had to listen to their entire song when you visited them, there was no way to skip the singing cutscene

10. Chaos

Soldato

Theres a game on Steam that looks a bit like Populous called Reprisal Universe, never played it so not sure if any good.

This thread also reminds me of Powermonger used to enjoy that.

11. dirtybeatfreak

Mobster

There needs to be more God games. Perfect genre for VR too imo

12. arknor

Caporegime

13. Scotspaul

Hitman

Rimworld perhaps?

14. hood1971

Wise Guy

Not recent but Dungeon Keeper 1&2 were insanely good. Bullfrog games were definitely the leader in this genre, no one seems to have picked up the reins after them.

15. breadturbo

Mobster

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1426730/The_Immortal_Mayor/

another for you to check if you are still watchign this thread :)

16. dave28

Wise Guy

War for the overworld if that counts as a God game

17. BallistixOnZ490

Wise Guy

Reus and Godhood from Abbey Games.

One is a city builder, the other is a RPG, both god games.

18. TonyTurbo78

Capodecina

Who's old enough to remember Mega-Lo-Mania on Amiga? I seriously loved that game, the music I can still remember 20 years on.

19. mysticsniper

Capodecina

Doesn't Civilisation fall into the God Game categories?

20. Tefal

Capo Crimine

B&o were awesome if terrible st times.

you’d think these days with neuralnets etc being in modern processors and all the si stuff we could get an epic b&w3 where it was all about making that creature have a personality

I remember spending hours and hours training mine to visit a different village and poo i their food stores to poison them