Any good pre-built compact gaming PC recommendations?

Soldato
Hey,

I'm thinking about an off-the-shelf compact gaming PC - something like an MSI Vortex or Asus ROG G20. I would also consider similarly specced AIO systems.

What are your general opinions on these systems? Any specific make/model which gets highly rated?

Cheers,

Su

Associate
After a brief search, I found two versions of the MSI Vortex. One with 960 SLI (2000€), one with 980 SLI (3600€). For what they offer, they both seem very overpriced...?

As for the Asus ROG G20 serie, those range from 850€ to 1800€, with varying specs, but topping at one GTX 980, apparently (which should be fairly comparable with 960 SLI). They are a little more reasonably priced, but wouldn't call them cheap, either.

But, if you're willing to splurge some money, then I could recommend taking a look at Zotac ZBOX Magnus EN980 SE, starting from 1700€, after which you'll have to purchase memory, HDD and operating system of your choice. They usually provide a "PLUS" version as well, which have the extras pre-selected. Couldn't find one for the EN980 SE, though.

Specs for the EN980 SE:
- Intel Core i7-6700
- nVidia GeForce GTX 980
- very small custom form factor

Not to be confused with the regular EN980, which is equipped with i5-6400. Should be a fairly nice and slightly cheaper alternative, though.

Keep in mind that with this serie, you're paying extra for cramming relatively much horsepower into a very small space.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Came across the Alienware Alpha R2, and I think it's pretty much exactly what I want...

However, since it only just came out a couple of months back with the 960, it feels shortsighted to buy one now, given that the 1060 is pretty much twice as quick at the same TDP!

I wonder if there are any comparable machines from other vendors in the pipeline with the 1060 +/- Kaby Lake?

[edit 2] Still wouldn't mind exploring AMD alternatives as well... always have a soft spot for the red team :)

Su

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom