Any Good Reliable HD Recovery? (UK)

Associate
Hi,

Does any one know any reliable hard drive recovery in the UK?

My old Maxtor HD packed up a while back and I would like to get the files off it, I have tried recovering with software in the past but that didn't work.

The disk does spin and clicks on start up, but nothing after that.

I've looked around for HD recovery services, but am worried about getting scammed.

I found this place that I was thinking of giving a call..

https://www.securedatarecovery.com/locations/united-kingdom/birmingham

Legit?

Associate
Going by friends experiences with recovery services, If you cant recover your files by using recovery softwares then most likely low cost recovery services also will not be able to and it would cost a lot to use professional recovery companies which they will replace the hard drive parts to get the drive running again to recover files which is still not 100% recovery. Most companies will manage to get file list of the drive which they will show you to get your hopes up but not the real files themself as they do state recovery could fail so thats their scapegoat to get free money, so unless you are 100% sure you need the data recovered i wouldnt even bother with them.

Meanwhile dont try to use the drive as that could make it worse.

This requires lot of researching and investigating the company to be honest. Just my thoughts.

Associate
OP
This was a few years a go when I did try a recovery myself, I wasn't too sure what I was doing to be honest and gave up. Has there been any new recovery tools released in recent years?

Associate
Personally if drive failed few years ago and you havent used it then i dont think you would need any files from it unless its personal files but regardless first you need to identify whats wrong with the drive.
Can you see the harddisk in bios ?
Can you see the harddisk in windows ? ( Device Manager )
Can you see the harddisk by using any of harddisk or hardware identifier utilities ?

Most self recovery softwares usually recovers recently deleted files ( nothing re-written over ) or if master boot record is damaged ( which recovery software will try to restore or create a new mbr ) or damaged file systems or broken RAID arrays.
For above i have used Easus recovery softwares which did its job if you know what you are doing.

Anything else specially if drive is not working at all you ll need the expertise of recovery companies. I suggest you do a google search on "no data no fee" recovery companies and then read up reviews on them. This way if nothing can be recovered you dont pay anything also ask them in written incase data can be recovered how much do they charge as some of these companies work on fixed cost regardless of data recovered or some charge based in gb recovered.

If data is important take your time dont rush it unless you have a deadline or wait for others to reply with their knowledge or experiences with data recovery. Good luck.

Associate
I had one of my drives fail last night (dreaded click of death) - I'll be trying to get it to work again for long enough to drag some files off it (not essential as I have the important stuff backed up elsewhere). I have previously had success with percussive maintenance with previous drives (long enough to transfer what I needed back then) so will attempt the same.....

Associate
A company I used to work for used Kroll for data recovery.

From what you're describing, we used to charge ~£700 to get the data recovered, not sure what they're charging now mind.

Associate
OP
Wow, I was expecting to be around 450/500. I spoke with Kroll on the phone a few days back and asked about costs, but all I got told was to fill out the form/send the disk and then they will quote me.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Wow, I was expecting to be around 450/500. I spoke with Kroll on the phone a few days back and asked about costs, but all I got told was to fill out the form/send the disk and then they will quote me.

It depends if they can get it working with a PCB replacement alone or if it requires more advanced recovery...

Back
Top Bottom